You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

I think its pretty shit too,despite having an account. It just links you to web pages which is pointless if you are on a phone as thats what you are trying to avoid.

Why are you trying to avoid web pages? I don't get it. Firstly not all content links to another web page, but if you see something about a TV show you're interested in from, say, Empire magazine you click on the link, read the article, then close the page. Same if you see a link to a profile of a player we are linked with, click the link and read about him then click out back to Twitter.

What's hard about that?

Why are you trying to avoid web pages? I don't get it. Firstly not all content links to another web page, but if you see something about a TV show you're interested in from, say, Empire magazine you click on the link, read the article, then close the page. Same if you see a link to a profile of a player we are linked with, click the link and read about him then click out back to Twitter.

What's hard about that?

I just think its pretty pointless,like Section. We have Google,Facebook,Youtube etc,so whats the actual point of Twitter?

Are you omniscient? I follow about 100 political journalists for example, I can either go on each of their websites everyday taking hours to see if they've wrote anything that interests me or I could quickly look on Twitter and see if anything they've wrote catches the eye which takes 5 minutes.

If, and it appears it's a big if, you use it correctly and just follow the people who interest you it's a very useful tool.

• Upvote 4

Are you omniscient? I follow about 100 political journalists for example, I can either go on each of their websites everyday taking hours to see if they've wrote anything that interests me or I could quickly look on Twitter and see if anything they've wrote catches the eye which takes 5 minutes.

If, and it appears it's a big if, you use it correctly and just follow the people who interest you it's a very useful tool.

I dont have the time or patience to follow 100 Journalists so just tend to use the internet in general.

Sugar Ape is right, it's sound in my book.

Not perfect but useful, and in my case addictive.

I get my news from it and laughs (crude but there's always a topical footy clip doing the rounds during a match etc, and enjoy interacting with people on it like we do on here. Some douche on there jumped in on a conversation I was having and just called me a regressive leftie, good times.

• Upvote 1

I dont have the time or patience to follow 100 Journalists so just tend to use the internet in general.

Ok, so with the greatest of respect I'd suggest you're not really using Twitter properly to get the best out of it hence you don't think it's as useful as others.

If I go on mine now I'm mainly going to see links to stuff that might interest me politically, articles on sports that interest me and pictures of Katy Perrys tits. I think it's the best social media tool by far.

You accumulate the people you follow as you go. You don't sit there on day one of creating a Twitter account and then start working through a pre-prepared list of people to follow!

Trust me you get there, you get suggestions and also as you see and hear of people/outlets of interest, you find their feed and click follow.

Eventually a quick 2 minute peak on your phone will keep you up to speed much quicker than googling for your news.

You accumulate the people you follow as you go. You don't sit there on day one of creating a Twitter account and then start working through a pre-prepared list of people to follow!

Trust me you get there, you get suggestions and also as you see and hear of people/outlets of interest, you find their feed and click follow.

Eventually a quick 2 minute peak on your phone will keep you up to speed much quicker than googling for your news.

Why do I need to accumulate people who I dont even know? Isnt that what people do with Facebook?

Why do I need to accumulate people who I dont even know? Isnt that what people do with Facebook?

Facebook is fucking shite but Twitter is mainly excellent.

I agree with the sudden betting promotion bollocks...had to un follow several otherwise good people

To be fair,I am being a little facetious here but agree with Sect 31 that 140? characters seems basically just like either a bit of sales patter or half a conversation with somebody you could chat to on a phone or through an online messenger.

I think this TLW forum is a better way to do this myself.

And yes Facebook is shit bit I have to use that rather than have a choice not to.

It's the speed of Twitter that I can't get used to. If you log in once or twice a day you've missed a huge amount of links you may have been interested in anyway. Facebook moves much slower and you stil get people posting decent links on there if you're friends with the right cats. 

I've used this forum for years and also use FB but neither are a patch on Twitter for bringing whatever you are interested right to your phone.

You tailor your feed to bring you anything you want. It's superb. Politics, news, football, coaching, music...it'll keep you up to date on the specific things you choose it to.

• Upvote 3

I couldn't get into Twitter either, my initial thoughts we're it's just a page of links with no previews from celebrities that i may like but not share an interest in. I did find a couple funny people on it though but not enough keep me logging in. I've always preferred interacting with Facebook as that's with people I know.

I reckon I probably just need to invest a bit more time into it to get it tailoured to me a bit more but the interface doesn't fit my browsing habits and I fritter far too much time online as it is

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/5/10925728/twitter-timeline-tweets-out-of-order

Twitter's timeline will soon show tweets out of order

The timeline as we know it could change as early as next week

Ever since Twitter first launched, tweets have been organized in reverse chronological order. That's one of the more straightforward aspects of a service that's become too complicated through the years. But now, Twitter is preparing to drastically change how users experience the timeline — and according to BuzzFeed News, it's happening very soon. As early as next week, Twitter is planning to replace the reverse chronological stream with one that's powered algorithmically, surfacing tweets that are most relevant or timely, not just those that are most recent.

Late last year, the company tested this non-chronological approach with some users, though the idea didn't seem to sit well with Twitter's most loyal advocates. But it shouldn't come as a surprise to them; executives have been talking about this change for a long time now. In 2014, CFO Anthony Noto said displaying tweets in reverse chronological order "isn't the most relevant experience for a user." And in reference to last year's tests, a spokesperson said, "We're continuing to explore ways to surface the best content for people using Twitter."

CEO Jack Dorsey is determined to make Twitter more user friendly and intuitive for people just starting out with the service. Since a lot of them are probably also using Facebook, they're already accustomed to seeing friends' posts out of order. If Twitter can nail the execution (that's a massive if), this could in many ways make the product more valuable for more people. How exactly Twitter plans to make this switch isn't yet known; Josh Sternberg, director of branded content for NBC News, says the algorithm-based timeline will likely be opt in as opposed to suddenly becoming the new default. Indeed, the company would be wise to follow Facebook's "Most Recent" lead and let people use the service as they see fit.

Dorsey has made other big changes too, like launching Twitter Moments, allowing longer direct messages, displaying inline Periscope videos, and showing popular tweets to everyone who visits Twitter.com from a smartphone. Oh, and he's probably going to blow up the 140-character limit, too. Twitter hasn't yet confirmed the pending timeline changes, but we've reached out for comment.

• 4 weeks later...
  1. @OfficialHacksaw any chance of a massive Hoooooo for me while im sat in work big fella?

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity

More

@bjornebyeTLW HOOOOOOOO! !!

4:01 PM - 2 Mar 2016

Retweeted

More
  • Upvote 8