You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eccleston rejects new contract

redfromtubebar

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why i said he'll probably end up playing there if his general game and finishing improve.

At the minute he's more effective with his pure pace on the wing where he can get 1 on 1 witha full back and just run past him. And he's learning more about general play there imo.

Bit like Pacheco playing centre midfield to try to improve him.

I remember the days when a forward was just played up front.

I doubt Torres was ever played right wing, and I know Robbie/Owen werent.

If you get moved you usually arent good enough.

Thing is, there was this fella called Terry Henry who came and changed all that, along with his boss Arsene. Torres has spent time out wide, Fowler was from a different era and Owen is a one trick pony who can't hack it now that his pace has gone.

I reckon the best players are sometimes the ones that get shifted around - shows their true footballing ability. Think Gerrard, the aforementioned Henry, Eto'o etc.

If you get moved, you've usually got the attributes to play in two positions. Want to hang on to those sorts of players.

Yes because our defence doesn't need all the help it can get does it.

Our defence has been shit mainly because our defenders have been shit.

Our forwards have also been shit in many games this season in terms of retaining the ball.

When Insua can't get his positioning right or when Skrtel can't head the ball, there is no point in Torres or Benayoun dropping back to help them.

We shouldn't need everyone to defend against teams like Fulham and Aston Villa.

You can help but when its listed as a top attribute its when I despair.

Some players just cant defend, you have to accept that sometimes.

I think if you put Robben in our team last year we'd of won the league.

Agreed.

Also, if EVERYONE in the team HAS to defend, there is something seriously wrong with the defence. 4 defenders and 2 defensive midfielders should be enough in 90% of the games, IF they do their job. If those 6 players don't do their job, it is either because they are off-form or they are not good enough. Which has been the case this season.

guess it explains why some of you dont get/like/rate benitez - he follows the total football school of footie - players need to be capable of both attack and defence - the team attacks as a unit and defends as a unit - there's no room in that for players that just do one or the other - thats the 'theory' anyway - they need to have the football intelligence he's talks about -

Amoo, 100m school champ wasn't he ? he's going to blow most opposition away in the stiffs with pace alone - he also looks to have good balance and looks good with the ball at his feet - not sure he has a clue in terms of teh team though - and if the team is supposed to work as a unit that will stick out like a sore thumb -

Just watched the ressies highlights from the other night & Eccleston looked totally involved in what the team were doing , looking just as delighted for Amoo & Saric's goals as his own & every member of the team bar Hansen mobbed him when he scored .

In short , he gave no sign of being unhappy with his situation , so hopefully it's an agent bargaining thing.

Benitez is a system coach and his philosophy is the antithesis of total football, which is about the whole team being able to use to the ball effectively, with the emphasis on freedom of movement.

It's based on Arrigo Sacchi's Milan sides.

Which in turn was based on Liverpool's side under Joe fagan.

Benitez is a system coach and his philosophy is the antithesis of total football, which is about the whole team being able to use to the ball effectively, with the emphasis on freedom of movement.

interesting that you think the two things are different for me they are just two parts of the same thing

in both you need players who can adjust and adapt to whatever the circumstances are on the pitch - players who can switch from attack to defence seamlessly - think rafa introducing johnson/degen or dossena/insua is a big part of that - freedom can only come from other players taking responsibility and recognising when and where to be - can't it?

Just watched the ressies highlights from the other night & Eccleston looked totally involved in what the team were doing , looking just as delighted for Amoo & Saric's goals as his own & every member of the team bar Hansen mobbed him when he scored .

In short , he gave no sign of being unhappy with his situation , so hopefully it's an agent bargaining thing.

I've got to disagree there mate, he comes across as a bit pissed off to me, thats just going from his body language and facial expressions but I honestly thought something weren't right the other day, before any of this came to light. I dunno if it's the spotlight being on Pacheco and Amoo all the time or what, although on the flipside he did get a few minutes for the senior team, so his unhappiness is a bit of a mystery. Maybe he's just weighed it all up and decided he doesn't fancy it here?

My opinion on Ecclestone is he has ability, but lacks aggression and ruthlessness. If he wants to go, fair dues.

Ah yes, Sacchi, another member of the self absorbed 'tactics' illuminati. It's debatable whether the success Milan had was down to him or the fact they had so many great players. I know what he thinks, and like Rafa he fell out with many of his players because of it.

The total football that I know and love was the michels model, which is what Shanks based our philosophy on, and that was as far removed from the strict methodical methods of Rafa and Sacchi as you can get.

And also by default Fagan & Paisley then. Seeing as Sacchi's methods were just an evolution of their's.

Stop talking nonsense.