You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm a big Benayoun fan, He was fucking terrific towards the end of last season but IMO a attacking 3 of Benni, Riera & Dirk simply isn't potent enough - even with Gerrard deeper. Whatever the combination we stil lack another quality attacking player for me to be toatlly confident going into the new season.

I'm a big Benayoun fan, He was fucking terrific towards the end of last season but IMO a attacking 3 of Benni, Riera & Dirk simply isn't potent enough - even with Gerrard deeper. Whatever the combination we stil lack another quality attacking player for me to be toatlly confident going into the new season.

If we had a player of Gerrard/Torres ilk out wide, i'd be absolutely certain that the title was coming home, I really would. I think we're that close.

If we had a player of Gerrard/Torres ilk out wide, i'd be absolutely certain that the title was coming home, I really would. I think we're that close.

But then we'd still have the fact if Torres got injured we'd look weak upfront, compared to the depth of other teams.

If Chelsea lose Drogba, they have Anelka.

United have Rooney and Berbatov, then if they get injured Owen.

If Torres gets injured or rested, can Ngog, Babel or Kuyt step up? Not in my opinion. Maybe a one off game, but not a string of games.

That's why I think a striker is more important than a wide player. I know our wide players can produce the goods, they did last season.

I hate it when I'm right.

Haha I knew you would bring this up today (I mentioned it in another thread) and I have to agree. We can't trust Lucas so Gerrard needs to play in the middle until Aqualani is fit.

EDIT - What about the wide players today? ;-)

Haha I knew you would bring this up today (I mentioned it in another thread) and I have to agree. We can't trust Lucas so Gerrard needs to play in the middle until Aqualani is fit.

EDIT - What about the wide players today? ;-)

Yes.

It's not Lucas' fault, as he was pretty good today. However he's no Alonso or Gerrard and can't pull the strings, like they can.

Gerrard is wasted higher up the field when we aren't controlling the game and we didn't today, we didn't aganst Atletico.

Yes.

It's not Lucas' fault, as he was pretty good today. However he's no Alonso or Gerrard and can't pull the strings, like they can.

Gerrard is wasted higher up the field when we aren't controlling the game and we didn't today, we didn't aganst Atletico.

Why is Lucas given a free pass? What you've basically intimated there is tantamount to saying, 'Lucas isn't really a good player and today he wasn't really good'!

We are Liverpool Football Club, we're trying to win the league after 20 years without it, and we let people off with shit performances because they aren't that good and shouldn't be expected to play well.

Fuck that.

Why is Lucas given a free pass? What you've basically intimated there is tantamount to saying, 'Lucas isn't really a good player and today he wasn't really good'!

We are Liverpool Football Club, we're trying to win the league after 20 years without it, and we let people off with shit performances because they aren't that good and shouldn't be expected to play well.

Fuck that.

I'm not giving him a free pass. I think he's decent back up, he's just not good enough to be first choice.

Today he was tidy, worked hard and efficient... just as he was at Old Trafford when we wo 4-1. This difference is Gerrard and Torres weren't exceptional today.

Lucas was not the problem today in my opinion, he shouldn't have been selected... and I blame the manager for that.

I'm not giving him a free pass. I think he's decent back up, he's just not good enough to be first choice.

Today he was tidy, worked hard and efficient... just as he was at Old Trafford when we wo 4-1. This difference is Gerrard and Torres weren't exceptional today.

Lucas was not the problem today in my opinion, he shouldn't have been selected... and I blame the manager for that.

I agree.

Overall I think people just let him off with being mediocre every week.

For me Benitez gets paid to make the right decisions and in my opinion not playing Gerrard in the centre of midfield when we don't have Aquilani is the wrong decision. So is playing Babel on the left, where he has always looked ineffective.

I can see why he wants to keep Torres / Gerrard together... but for someone as wise as he is regarding football, surely he must see that they aren't going to be effective if we aren't controlling games and they aren't in possession of the ball.

We need Gerrard on the ball as much as possible and if we aren't going to control games as we did with Alonso, that means in the middle until Aquilani is fit.

Benitez needs to realise this before it's too late.

We get it Brownie. And the majority of the forum agree. I know I do, he's not good enough. I just think the bare minimum of a player is effort and looking like they cared, which Lucas has done, and Ryan Babel, again, has not done. Thats why he's been getting castigated and Lucas hasn't.

I also agree about Gerrard dropping back into centre mid until Aqualani is fit.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Despite my protestations, I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard step backwards whilst The Roman is recovering, and sticking Babel on the right with Kuyt up front with Torres.

--------------------Pepe---------------------

Johnson-----Carra-------Skrtel-------Insue

-------------Maschano---Gerrard----------

---Babel------------------------------Riera

--------------Kuyt

-----------------------Torres

However, as soon as The Roman is fit, I'd revert back to the original 4-2-3-1

Despite my protestations, I wouldn't mind seeing Gerrard step backwards whilst The Roman is recovering, and sticking Babel on the right with Kuyt up front with Torres.

--------------------Pepe---------------------

Johnson-----Carra-------Skrtel-------Insue

-------------Maschano---Gerrard----------

---Babel------------------------------Riera

--------------Kuyt

-----------------------Torres

However, as soon as The Roman is fit, I'd revert back to the original 4-2-3-1

holy shit where is bennayoun?

First, people will be surprised at how good Lucas will come this season. We had a bad performance, we could've easily lost 4-1. It's the beginning of the season, we have time.

remember, we didn't have a great pre-season and a lot of the players are still unfit, and most of them played 90 mins in internatonal friendlies.

We used to start badly in the league in our domination years then we win the treble. Manure started the last 2 seasons badly yet we all know hwat happened. Our squad is fine, we had a glimpse today of what Johnson will offer,Lucas played well. Our last season's stars Kuyt,Gerrard,Torres are the ones who didn't perform, when Gerrard hits a penalty in the middle you know there is something with him. I think we will struugle throughout august but we will still win the league. we'll win 1-0 against Stoke and Villa then draw at Bolton.

What are people basing this 'Lucas will definitely come good, you haven't got a clue' thing on?

He WAS the best player today, and has been the best player in pre season, and has played his part in our best performances last year.

Sorry if people don't like that, but to quote someone more knowledgable than me, 'that's a fact'

So is playing Babel on the left, where he has always looked ineffective.

I think it's mad. He's playing out there and trying to cut inside to get onto his right foot, ends up dribbing around trying to do that and loses the ball, then people says he's not good enough and/or lazy. He should either be upfront or on the right.

He WAS the best player today, and has been the best player in pre season, and has played his part in our best performances last year.

Sorry if people don't like that, but to quote someone more knowledgable than me, 'that's a fact'

Best player yesterday? Go and look at the man of the match thread.

Pre season was a myraid of shite anyway so I'm not surprised he stood out.

He offers nothing.

Best player yesterday? Go and look at the man of the match thread.

Pre season was a myraid of shite anyway so I'm not surprised he stood out.

He offers nothing.

Don't have to look at the man of match, I don't need other peoples opinions to tell me what I saw!

he was the best player, end of. He isn't our best player, not by a long way, and if we have to rely on him for the rest of the season we won't win anything.

But if you can't even give the lad credit when he actually plays well, then don't both saying anything about him.

Until Aquilani becomes fit, I still think we'd be better off with Gerrard in the middle pulling the strings and Yossi roaming behind Torres.

I'm fully behind Lucas, but I still have questions whether he can pull the strings when the pressure is on.

After yesterday, I couldn't agree more. It's a question of the lesser of two evils: do we lose more by pulling Gerrard out of his best position or by leaving the midfield without anyone who can pull the strings? In my opinion, it's absolutely the latter. There's no point Gerrard being up front if there's no-one setting up the chances or creating the space for him from midfield.