You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Breaking up Gerrard and Torres would be insanity. We already have to establish one new partnership, there's no point adding another. There's no guarantee Aguero would gel with Torres like Gerrard does. It's the best strike partnership in Europe, what's the point in fucking with it? No, we're not going to get someone who does exactly the same thing as Xabi did, but Gerrard won't do that either. May as well just get a central midfielder and minimise the disruption to the team.

And why am I not surprised when you introduce semantics to worm out of what is a fundamental point about game intelligence and discipline? If a player has game intelligence and discipline, this can be deployed whether he is nominally playing a role behind a striker or playing in midfield. Gerrard is acutely aware of the discipline required to play both

Call it semantics if you will, but the game intelligence you need as a defender is different than what you need as a striker and what you need as someone whose role is "game management" is different than someone who is playing a free role. It's possible to be great at one and just OK at the other.

But as you say, it's just semantics.

Breaking up Gerrard and Torres would be insanity.

I don't think anyone is saying break up the combination totally.

In games where we are clearly going to dominate possession, then Gerrard would be far more valuable higher up the field, in a free role where he can really hurt the opposition.

But in games where we aren't going to dominate possession and going by games last season when Alonso was not in the team, we did not have the same control. Then I think Gerrard is wasted high up the field, as he needs to be on the ball as much as possible and if our midfield aren't controlling the game, such as last night, then I think he should be moved back where he can have far more influence.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

But in games where we aren't going to dominate possession and going by games last season when Alonso was not in the team, we did not have the same control.

Like United away, for example.

No, I see your point and agree with it. That's why Rafa will replace him. Just be patient. Rafa'll fix it.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Gerrard had a superhuman season in 2003-2004 playing Centre Midfield - he was magnificent. He can certainly play there.

Without looking it up, I think he scored about 5 goals that year. He's scoring well over 20 in hi current position. This is a completely different team and it works a different way.

We scraped 4th that season with 58 points. You can see what impact he has at the moment.

Without looking it up, I think he scored about 5 goals that year. He's scoring well over 20 in hi current position.

He scored 7 but only played 41. That'sa good return for a CM - don't forget with Stevie in CM we would have someone else in behind Torres. Someone like an Aguero can score and create just like Stevie can and we would have steel, creativity and a big heart in midfield.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He is not, their style is completely different.

I'm guessing that this Momo was some prick who used to prick on TextethTerror? In turn, TextethTerror decided to try to make me look like a dick by calling me him/her.

He scored 7 but only played 41. That'sa good return for a CM - don't forget with Stevie in CM we would have someone else in behind Torres. Someone like an Aguero can score and create just like Stevie can and we would have steel, creativity and a big heart in midfield.

This can give us an extra dimension in attack than we currently have.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He scored 7 but only played 41.

Just looked it up. It's 6 in all but 4 in the league. Not quite fulfilling his potential, I fear.

don't forget with Stevie in CM we would have someone else in behind Torres. Someone like an Aguero can score and create just like Stevie can and we would have steel, creativity and a big heart in midfield.

It's all very well saying that, but Aguero and Torres hardly set the world alight together. Nor do we have the huge amount required to buy him.

Breaking up Gerrard and Torres would be insanity. We already have to establish one new partnership, there's no point adding another. There's no guarantee Aguero would gel with Torres like Gerrard does. It's the best strike partnership in Europe, what's the point in fucking with it? No, we're not going to get someone who does exactly the same thing as Xabi did, but Gerrard won't do that either. May as well just get a central midfielder and minimise the disruption to the team.

Not sure I agree with that at all - adjusting it, adapting it, experimenting with it could show that it could be better and could be broken up. To suggest that breaking it up is madness without knowing what options could be used is a little short sighted if you ask me - and you didn't, I know but nevertheless thats my two penneth worth.

If you mean a more of a rampaging box to box midfielder, I'm not sure Benitez likes that sort of behaviour from his mf. Gerrard is certainly capable of it, but was actively discouraged from doing it when he played in the mf. Alonso usually covered more acreage than anyone during a game, so mobility wasn't an issue.

A lot of Alonso's value to the team was his ability and willingness to make himself available for the pass at all times. He was always available as an option for the defenders and was always there as an 'out' when the forward players were struggling to find a way through a determined defence. He was never going to be the runner from deep, but the reality is that we haven't played that way for years. You couldn't for example, easily see Benitez fitting Lampard in his team, though you could see him slotting Essien right in.

I'm of the opinion that Alonso's role was restricted at Anfield, for tactical reasons. This isn't a pro-Alonso or Anti-Benitez rant, before anyone jumps to Rafa's defence, it's just a genuine observation. It might well be that it was the best use of Alonso for us, but as we've seen for Spain, he is certainly capable of much more in the opposition half.

Great post, people often to struggle to understand why Alonso is the player who always makes the most passes in our team.

To be able to make a pass you need to have the ball and to get the ball you need to make yourself availble for a pass.

Alonso is always trying to position himself so he can be an alternative for a pass, he is on the move all the time making himself availible this is one of the reasons he always cover most distance in games as well.

This is why we always seems to be in control of games when Alonso is playing compared to when he is out, not only is he superior in his movement and vision/knowledge to where he needs to be at the exact time he also know where to pass the ball after receiving it as he is always one or two steps ahead of play in his mind.

This is also one of the reasons why I cant see any logic in a Silva signing if we lose Alonso, Alonso is the one player to get the best out of Silva as they both fit into the old "pass and move" style and Alonso is actually the only player we have who does this to perfection.

Are you sure that's true? I wouldn't be surprised top 5, as he is a midfielder, but I'd be surprised if he was ahead of Kuyt.

Kuyts not even close to Alonso in this aspect, people just think he covers so much ground because of his busy running style.

Just looked it up. It's 6 in all but 4 in the league. Not quite fulfilling his potential' date=' I fear.[/quote']

To be fair he's developed into an even better player now and those stats can be misleading.

To be fair he's developed into an even better player now and those stats can be misleading.

All stats can be misleading, that is why people often use them!

Gerrard and Torres are the best partnership we have had since Kenny and Rush, why split that up?

Maybe during the odd game it is worthwhile but for the majority of the games I want them both up front, concentrating upon what they do best i.e. creating chances and scoring etc.

Here is a stat free fact for everyone, Aguero, Villa, Totti, Silva and Van der Fart are not as good as Gerrard!

So why spend money on an inferior replacement?

Alonso is going so change the midfield and adapt to that change first, leave what works well alone.

You could potentially cover the most distance by plodding around. Whereas someone who runs like a nutter may cover less distance overall if it is also his job to be in the box jostling at corners, set pieces etc.

This Kuyt busy running style is hilarious, he is the hardest working player in the league, maybe in the whole of football! Every one acknowledges this as it is often referred to when discussing his shortcomings. I think most fans of other clubs would say Kuyt is the hardest working player around.

Here is a stat free fact for everyone, Aguero, Villa, Totti, Silva and Van der Fart are not as good as Gerrard!

This is the kind of argument I will never understand.

How do you know Aguero or Villa won't be as good as (or even better than) Gerrard? Torres was half the player at Athletico but thanks to Rafa and Gerrard, he is the most fearsome striker in the world now.

Villa may improve Gerrard and Torres. Gerrard and Torres may improve Villa. The combination could improve the team.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

How do you know Aguero or Villa won't be as good as (or even better than) Gerrard? Torres was half the player at Athletico but thanks to Rafa and Gerrard, he is the most fearsome striker in the world now.

Villa may improve Gerrard and Torres. Gerrard and Torres may improve Villa. The combination could improve the team.

Could be average, though. What we've got is proven.

Spending 40-50m on a player like that as a gamble is not the smartest move, in my opinion.

True, we dont know but i personally would not change it. If those two are fit with better players around them they can fire us to 19 and 6 imo. I dont actually like the way Torres and Villa play together for Spain but maybe Rafa would do something different and our style is different?

I do think we need a plan B but only if one of Gerrard or Torres are injured. If we had crazy money and all of our other problem spots were filled i would love Villa but if we are in a mess which i think we are, i would prefer a versatile matchwinner who can play both flanks and a back up to Torres rather than getting Villa and dropping Gerrard back.

Gerrard and Torres are the best partnership we have had since Kenny and Rush, why split that up?

Maybe during the odd game it is worthwhile but for the majority of the games I want them both up front, concentrating upon what they do best i.e. creating chances and scoring etc.

So why spend money on an inferior replacement?

Alonso is going so change the midfield and adapt to that change first, leave what works well alone.

Why split it up? - because if they aren't getting enough possession Gerrard is wasted in that position. He needs to be where the action is at and on the ball as often as possible.

Aguero and Villa, individually might not be as good as Gerrard, I agree. But it is about producing the best Liverpool team, not what is best for Gerrard. Villa, Aguero etc could score and create goals, as well as Gerrard and Torres, thus not making us as relianton Torres and Gerrard, plus we'd have goals coming from centre midfield... which could give us a new dimension.

It looks like we are going to have an inferior replacement in centre midfield when Alonso goes. If that means we control games less, then I think Gerrard is wasted not being totally involved in games.

Mascherano needs someone alongside him who can pull the strings. Lucas is not that man, he's a fine footballer, but we need more. Gerrard looks to be our best bet in my opinion.