You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Going on what we have today, I'd start the season with Gerrard and Mascherano in midfield behind a 3 of Riera or Babel, Benayoun and Kuyt. That team should be able to fend off Spurs and being quite the danger on the break.

This set up should also manage to deal with any league opponent through September: Stoke, Villa Burnley and Hull at home, Bolton and West Ham away.

Having seen the game last night I think Gerrard should be back in the middle with Masch. Lucas has improved but not enough. Gerrard and Torres were so isolated last night that Espanyol completely controlled the game. I wonder if the pace of Babel and Torres would worry other defences and I'm sure if Rafa told Babel he would play the first 10 games of the season no matter what his confidence would grow.

If not Babel, I wonder how Robbie Keane would have got on if he'd stayed.

For me Gerrard is our best player so he should be on the ball the most, influencing the match from the middle.

The best solution would be for Alonso to stay, What a player he is.

Having seen the game last night I think Gerrard should be back in the middle with Masch. Lucas has improved but not enough. Gerrard and Torres were so isolated last night that Espanyol completely controlled the game. I wonder if the pace of Babel and Torres would worry other defences and I'm sure if Rafa told Babel he would play the first 10 games of the season no matter what his confidence would grow.

If not Babel, I wonder how Robbie Keane would have got on if he'd stayed.

For me Gerrard is our best player so he should be on the ball the most, influencing the match from the middle.

The best solution would be for Alonso to stay, What a player he is.

Agreed.

We couldn't keep crouch, bellamy and keane happy.

None of them were good enough for regular roles, but that doesn't mean Silva, Villa, Mata, Young etc won't be.

I'll give you an example of when I believe Gerrard should be used in centre midfield.

The last two times we have played Chelsea in the Champions League they have man marked Gerrard. The first time with Makelele and last season with Essien... we didn't get through both times.

Not only did we not control these games, when Gerrard did get the ball he had no time or space to do anything as he was heavily man marked.

With Alonso going, we might struggle to dominate this type of game even more next season and if that is the case and Gerrard can potentially get man marked, surely he'd be better off in midfield where he can have far more influence?!

We need more world class players as competition to the ones we have. ManU loose Tevez and can use Berbatov instead- if we lost Torres we have N'gog, if we lose Alonso we have Lucas. Shallow squads are too vulnerable to injuries, sales etc.

Going on what we have today, I'd start the season with Gerrard and Mascherano in midfield behind a 3 of Riera or Babel, Benayoun and Kuyt. That team should be able to fend off Spurs and being quite the danger on the break.

This set up should also manage to deal with any league opponent through September: Stoke, Villa Burnley and Hull at home, Bolton and West Ham away.

We have Alonso still today- so on what we have today Mash and Alonso behind Gerrard and 2 from Riera/Babel/Benayoun/Kuyt?

Until Aquilani becomes fit, I still think we'd be better off with Gerrard in the middle pulling the strings and Yossi roaming behind Torres.

I'm fully behind Lucas, but I still have questions whether he can pull the strings when the pressure is on.

The fact is last season showed you have to go out and win this league, draws are not enough.

Gerrard when in centre midfield can set the standards and show the attacking intent and urgency that we need. This is not Lucas bashing (and even if it is), but we need to play our best team and at present, for me that means Gerrard in centre midfield, at least until Aquilani is fit.

Gerrard is a world class second striker now.

Everyone banging on about him being a midfielder is talking about a player that never was good enough to be trusted to play there.

He has obviously all the attributes to be a good central midfielder, but one must ask why managers the calibre of Rafa, Don Fabio, Sven etc have never been able to successfully play him there?

The only time he was able to play there was under Houllier, in a 4-4-2, when he wasn't the main man, Owen was. At that time, he needed a Heskey to help defend too in what probably could be described as a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1.

It is silly to break up arguably the best strike partnership in the world in Gerrard-Torres, just because Gerrard "is able" to play in the middle. Doesn't matter who you get to play in the hole behind Torres, IMO it won't be as good as Gerrard-Torres.

CM on the other hand, there are plenty of young players out there who could do the job, Aquilani being but one of them.

Gerrard is a world class second striker now.

Everyone banging on about him being a midfielder is talking about a player that never was good enough to be trusted to play there.

He has obviously all the attributes to be a good central midfielder, but one must ask why managers the calibre of Rafa, Don Fabio, Sven etc have never been able to successfully play him there?

The only time he was able to play there was under Houllier, in a 4-4-2, when he wasn't the main man, Owen was. At that time, he needed a Heskey to help defend too in what probably could be described as a 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1.

It is silly to break up arguably the best strike partnership in the world in Gerrard-Torres, just because Gerrard "is able" to play in the middle. Doesn't matter who you get to play in the hole behind Torres, IMO it won't be as good as Gerrard-Torres.

CM on the other hand, there are plenty of young players out there who could do the job, Aquilani being but one of them.

That grates on me more than anything when it comes to things I read on the internet.

Not good enough to be trusted there?! Fucking hell...

Longer term I prefer him up front, but until this Aquiwotsit is fit and we see what he's like, our best current 11 probably has him in central midfield. Riera on the left, and Yossi in the hole.

Agreed but the minute Rafa does that Lucas will be screaming like a hoaring tart

That grates on me more than anything when it comes to things I read on the internet.

Not good enough to be trusted there?! Fucking hell...

Totally agree, it is a lazy and dated argument in my opinion.

If Rafa doesn't trust Gerrarrd in that position why did he use him there last season in many games?! Everton away for example he was superb in attack and defense... setting the standard.

I agree, Gerrard is probably the best supporting striker around. But I am not saying don't use him in this position, I think he'll play there when Aquilani is fit and can give us what we need centrally.

But until then I really think we should use Gerrard in centre midfield to control the midfield more, pull thr strings and get on the ball as often as possible, as he's our best player.

Yossi looks really effective behind Torres, so although it might not be Gerrard best position, what matters is producing the best Liverpool team... and until Aquilani is fully fit, I think that means use Gerrard more in centre midfield.

I think Gerrard and Torres are great on the counter attack together and away from home, I'd say they are the best partnership in the World. But at home, I'm not so sure.

Totally agree, it is a lazy and dated argument in my opinion.

If Rafa doesn't trust Gerrarrd in that position why did he use him there last season in many games?! Everton away for example he was superb in attack and defense... setting the standard.

You mean the games we experimented with a 4-4-2 to try and accomodate Keane?

Sure Gerrard can play there and do well, but on a permanent basis? No top manager who have managed him besides Houllier have committed to putting him there permanently. Rafa and Cappello have tried, but decided against it unless absolutely necessary.

I agree, Gerrard is probably the best supporting striker around. But I am not saying don't use him in this position, I think he'll play there when Aquilani is fit and can give us what we need centrally.

But until then I really think we should use Gerrard in centre midfield to control the midfield more, pull thr strings and get on the ball as often as possible, as he's our best player.

Yossi looks really effective behind Torres, so although it might not be Gerrard best position, what matters is producing the best Liverpool team... and until Aquilani is fully fit, I think that means use Gerrard more in centre midfield.

I think Gerrard and Torres are great on the counter attack together and away from home, I'd say they are the best partnership in the World. But at home, I'm not so sure.

If Lucas is unavailable and due to our current injury list, I am forced to agree with you. However, if Aurelio was fit, I would rather put him in CM next to Mascherano, and keep Gerrard up front rather than pull Gerrard back, and put Benayoun behind Torres. If all 3 CBs are fit, I would give Agger a go there too.

Benitez has used Gerrard plenty of times in centre midfield.

He uses him upfront more now in a free role behind Torres because he thinks he's a match winner and is better with a less diciplined role... that is not to say he can't play this.

I would agree, if we had a centre midfielder to pull the strings, as Alonso would do and I hope Aquilani will do. But until we do, I'd have him in the centre to control games and be where the action is.

Gerrard doesn't control a game when in the middle, that's a myth. I'd rather have him in and around the oppositions penalties ox, than in our half picking the ball up from the CB.

With the role he has up front. There's nothing preventing him from dropping a little deeper to get involved, or if we're being overrun in the middle.

I've got to say when Gerrard slotted into centre mid, the team upped a notch. The thing with Gerrard is he has an assured presence. You know he knows what he's doing and he has the tools for the job.

It's definately a possibility we can revert to, but I'm hoping Aqualani turns out to be a capable player there.

It's a total myth that Gerrard can't play in central midfield. It's just a ludicrous assertion, IMO.

Now if you want to argue that he serves the team better by playing up front, then that's a totally different debate altogether and one that I would find difficult to disagree with.

I don't think the fact that Benitez, Capello et al don't use him in central midfield is evidence that he can't play there, all that points to is that the managers believe he's better when given licence to create things in and around the box.

He can slot into central midfield and still be one of the best players in the world, it's just that he's probably the best support striker in the business and hence he plays there.

The suggestion that LFD is making is a total valid one because of the situation we have with Alonso being sold and Aquilani being injured. It's not a permanent change, just a temporary measure to aide the team in the interim.

I'm not sure if i'd do it, but if Rafa decided to go that way I know that Gerrard wouldn't let us down.