You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

Whilst I wouldn't presume to try and educate a teacher on the etymology (probably the wrong word in itself), I remember hearing that the dropped h was related to where the English language was at, when the first major migrations to America occurred, and that the h has been dropped and reinserted by proper native English speakers over the centuries according to fashion. Could be wrong like, and it is very irritating, but may not be as faux as presumed.

I'm absolutely no expert on etymology, mate (in fact I'm not an expert on anything; just a gobshite teacher who's a bit anal about punctuation). I absolutely defer to your knowledge on the matter.

As always, it comes down to us Canadians to navigate our way between the two cultures and make the correct decision for all spelling and grammatical situations.

We are dominated by our neighbours to the south, but still cling to our European (English/French) heritage.

We tend to speak more clearly (which is why many successful US news anchors are Canadian), but can also spell a million times better than the average American.

My biggest annoyances are 'Warshington', 'ruff' (roof) and 'foy-er' (foy-ay)

Have to love the Canadians! 

More preferable to any other North American culture  :)

My Scots/Irish ancestry must be what is making me both angry and facepalming at the same time.

I think its Whisky if its Scotch/Scottish and Whiskey in Ireland,I am led to believe.

While we are on about faux Americanisms,its not a Gar-arge unless you are French. Its just a plain old Gar-age if you claim to be some kind of English speaker.

Its whisky if it's Scotch. 

The people are Scottish.  (and proud of if it)

I havent read the whole thread but one thing that really bugs me is the over-complication of the sizing of your cup of whatever. What was so wrong about small, medium and large that the smallest size needed to be re-invented as grande (large in anyone's language, surely?)

I thought that's what you said too! 'Scotch' referred to the drink not the people, did it not?

Thats the way i intended it to sound. It does annoy me that people,usually thick Southerners,refer to the people as scotch rather than Scottish.

I always know that if its spelt Whiskey its Irish,or not Scottish at least.

• Upvote 1

Thats the way i intended it to sound. It does annoy me that people,usually thick Southerners,refer to the people as scotch rather than Scottish.

I always know that if its spelt Whiskey its Irish,or not Scottish at least.

Us northerners need to stick together.

While I'm not in the least Scottish it drives me nuts the way southerners, as you say, speak about Scotland (and the north) as if we've barely got running water in our homes.

I'll never forget when I went to uni being asked if we had traffic lights. It was in jest but.....

Us northerners need to stick together.

While I'm not in the least Scottish it drives me nuts the way southerners, as you say, speak about Scotland (and the north) as if we've barely got running water in our homes.

I'll never forget when I went to uni being asked if we had traffic lights. It was in jest but.....

To be fair Champ,when you went to Uni it was the early days of electricity(smiley winky thing.)

• 1 month later...
Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why do British people put an R on the end of words that end in A?

South Africker? 

No, it's South Africa.

Didier Drogber!

Erm, we don't. Well, people from Bristol might, but they're their own cousins.

• Upvote 1

Got an American boss. He's sound but following things annoy me

Dude - shite word, especially when he thinks that my response of la is daft

Inability to say cunt like he means it, Just doesn't appreciate or bring out the power of the word

Says fuck you instead of fuck off

Swearing is amongst the many things that the UK generally do better than America.

• Upvote 1

Swearing is amongst the many things that the UK generally do better than America.

It's true - I would go further and say that the further North you go in the UK, the better that swearing sounds. I am far superior to Cockney swearing but have to doff my cap to the Scots. There's a reason why Malcolm Tucker was written as a Scottish character

• Upvote 2

• 5 years later...
5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

When Americans ask for their coffee with cream are they just asking for milk or actual cream? Googled it but just getting people babbling on about half and half whatever the fuck that is.

Coffee over there is usually shite . Weak mud coloured piss.

Never mind milk or cream they should put some coffee in it.