You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Annoying Americanisms

Section_31

I'm not a fan of many of the poncey Americanisms used in restaurants or around cooking - appetisers and especially entrees are particularly annoying. Right up there though is the faux French pronunciation of the word herbs with the dropped letter H. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!

They can stick that particular one up their airy harses.

I was in Marin, near San Francisco and was chatting to a local bird. She said she knew someone from where I lived and he was in the air force. I asked was he in the American air force or British and she said American. I asked if maybe he'd transferred to our air force and she said no he lives in and works for America. I said you do realise that I am English right, she said yeah and I asked where this guy lived. She said *some town I forget now* in New England. I said no I live in England, not New England. She didn't understand the difference until I said I lived in the same country as the Queen, where we drink cups of tea and eat fish and chips whereas her friend lived in a different part of the States. Oh, My, God, I am like, soooooo embarrassed.

Made my trip that. 

• Upvote 1

As always, it comes down to us Canadians to navigate our way between the two cultures and make the correct decision for all spelling and grammatical situations.

We are dominated by our neighbours to the south, but still cling to our European (English/French) heritage.

We tend to speak more clearly (which is why many successful US news anchors are Canadian), but can also spell a million times better than the average American.

My biggest annoyances are 'Warshington', 'ruff' (roof) and 'foy-er' (foy-ay)

I have some US suppliers and they took us the Kentucky derby a few years ago asked if we had horse racing in the UK ??? I had to bite my tongue and just say yes and not "actually we had horse racing before your country as you know it even existed and this race we are at is actually named after the English equivalent"

On another occasion they asked me if we have whiskey in the UK

My Scots/Irish ancestry must be what is making me both angry and facepalming at the same time.

I think its Whisky if its Scotch/Scottish and Whiskey in Ireland,I am led to believe.

While we are on about faux Americanisms,its not a Gar-arge unless you are French. Its just a plain old Gar-age if you claim to be some kind of English speaker.

I had a cream cheese bagel in NY recently (chive cream and egg bagel since you ask) only to be asked if I wanted 'box' with it.

"Nah, mate, It's OK in a wrapper, ta".

"Whit?"

"You know, the napkin you put around it?"

"...$3.50".

Turns out when he said 'box', he meant 'smoked salmon'. The clod. I mean, how do you arrive at 'box' as a new word for smoked salmon? Beggars belief.

I had a cream cheese bagel in NY recently (chive cream and egg bagel since you ask) only to be asked if I wanted 'box' with it.

"Whit?"

"...$3.50".

Turns out when he said 'box', he meant 'smoked salmon'. The clod. I mean, how do you arrive at 'box' as a new word for smoked salmon? Beggars belief.

The euphemism for box I'm most familiar with does sometimes smell like fish.

"Whit?"

"...$3.50".

Smoked salmon is often called 'Lox' here, not box.

Wiki says.... The word lox is derived from the Yiddish word for salmon, לאַקס (laks), which ultimately derives from the Indo-European word for salmon, laks.[4] The word lox has cognates in numerous European languages that also derive from one of the Indo-European languages.

• Upvote 1

Smoked salmon is often called 'Lox' here, not box.

Wiki says.... The word lox is derived from the Yiddish word for salmon, לאַקס (laks), which ultimately derives from the Indo-European word for salmon, laks.[4] The word lox has cognates in numerous European languages that also derive from one of the Indo-European languages.

Ah, I may have misheard then..

Cheers, Poindexter!

My Scots/Irish ancestry must be what is making me both angry and facepalming at the same time.

I think its Whisky if its Scotch/Scottish and Whiskey in Ireland,I am led to believe.

While we are on about faux Americanisms,its not a Gar-arge unless you are French. Its just a plain old Gar-age if you claim to be some kind of English speaker.

Well lar-dee-dar Mr Frenchman, ooh "garage" you say? I call it a car hole.

"Whit?"

"...$3.50".

So you are in the capital of bagels - and smoked salmon - or "box" as you call it, and you are annoyed.

Not sure if Americans say it or even most Canadians, but I saw a Canadian comedian who pronounced aspar-tame instead of aspar-ta-me. Neko, what say you?

Guilty, I suppose. Never use the stuff, so never say the word out loud.

Problem is there is no consistency in the english language (US vs UK) with syllables and when to add one and when not, and which ones to emphasize....too many examples to mention now, and I'm tired.

As always, it comes down to us Canadians to navigate our way between the two cultures and make the correct decision for all spelling and grammatical situations.

We are dominated by our neighbours to the south, but still cling to our European (English/French) heritage.

We tend to speak more clearly (which is why many successful US news anchors are Canadian), but can also spell a million times better than the average American.

My biggest annoyances are 'Warshington', 'ruff' (roof) and 'foy-er' (foy-ay)

I have one word for you...

Out.

What the fucking fuck do you people do to that word?

Guilty, I suppose. Never use the stuff, so never say the word out loud.

Problem is there is no consistency in the english language (US vs UK) with syllables and when to add one and when not, and which ones to emphasize....too many examples to mention now, and I'm tired.

Do you go with courgette, due to the Anglo-French heritage in Canada?  Or zucchini, what with the creeping American (italian) influence?