You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

You're not very good at this. 

I also asked you WHY the Houthis are doing it not how do you know it's them. I'll assume you mis-read as opposed to being disingenuous there. 

It absolutely isn't a separate issue. 

Apologies. I misread as I was reading it whilst busy getting dolled up and sexy looking for my interview. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Redder Lurtz said:

It's a whole regional issue, I know. But Houtis throwing bombs at ships is an issue we can address tactically with a few strikes in the right places. That has to stop immediately. Everything else is far more strategic and is gonna take decades to solve if it's even solvable. 

I wouldnt bet on that

The Houthis are not a group that can be bombed into extinction – here’s why | Amal Saad | The Guardian

But Houtis throwing bombs at ships is an issue we can address tactically with a few strikes in the right places. 

It really isn't. Just as strikes on Afghanistan wasn't, nor the idea of bombing Hamas out of existence isn't. They're terrorist groups, not 19th century armies. 

Iran will keep funding whatever groups are willing to do their dirty work for a few quid, and our bombing is the recruitment poster. 

Having Joe Biden and Rishi Sunak in charge of all of this would be funny if it didn't look like the start of fucking world war three. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/jan/12/yemen-houthi-militia-israel-gaza-red-sea

The problem with pressing Israel to end its operation in Gaza is that Iran (which is looking increasingly likely every day) probably encouraged Hamas to carry out their attack knowing that would bring about regional escalation. So that may not stop attacks on ships or if it does, someting else will  flare up. I doubt Iran and its allies are only reacting here to what has happened in and around Gaza.

So, instead of responding to attacks on ships, you should push for a comprehensive solution of the Palestinian issue, which would be a very ambitious goal to put it mildly.

41 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The problem with pressing Israel to end its operation in Gaza is that Iran (which is looking increasingly likely every day) probably encouraged Hamas to carry out their attack knowing that would bring about regional escalation. So that may not stop attacks on ships or if it does, someting else will  flare up. I doubt Iran and its allies are only reacting here to what has happened in and around Gaza.

So, instead of responding to attacks on ships, you should push for a comprehensive solution of the Palestinian issue, which would be a very ambitious goal to put it mildly.

that piece in the guardian reckons Iran didnt know?

3 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

If Israel didn't know then I doubt Iran did. 

Mind you, I reckon Israel did know so he might be right. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Well, they are jammy bastards then and makes Hamas come across even more irresponsible than you'd have thought.

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

Sorry mate but that's a load of softshite wank. Trying to solve the Palestinian issue is not something that's gonna happen anytime soon. So your recommendation is we just let these cunts keep firing missiles at merchant ships and hope they'll stop it once either we or Jordan Henderson have solved Palestine? Well fuck that. I've got mates who work on merchant ships and sail that route. You can't just let them be sitting targets for these arsewipes. 

20 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Cheers lads. Find out tomorrow. 

Fingers crossed for you pal, I hope they didn't ask you any questions on the Middle East,.....

200.webp?cid=ecf05e47alsnpjcbnulutsg7h2b

17 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Something else that urgently needs saying is that "scissor me xerxes" is one of the greatest tags ever. 

"Don't Go Brechin My Heart" for me I think. 

• Haha 1

While I'm delighted other countries are standing up for Palestinians/against Israel, it's not good that merchant ships or shipping lanes are targeted.

Whether we like it or not, our way of life depends on goods and services moving quickly and freely across the world. Anything that slows this affects the world economy, which in turn affects interest rates etc etc. 

You may say "fuck the economy" when innocent people are being slaughtered, and on a human level you'd be correct. But that's not the world we live in. 

I'd personally prefer the Houthis to act on military targets and take their anger out on the IDF, unlikely as that is. 

7 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Got a job interview now. Cba. 

But in short I agree with the bombing of dickheads firing missiles at ships. 

it’s not a separate issue, and that’s never gone well for us before.

its almost like we might be…

IMG_4161.gif

The idea that the Houthis are doing this in solidarity with the Palestinians is wide of the mark IMO. Isis just killed some Iranians and Pakistan also killed some Iranians, somebody killed Syrians recently, might have been turkey I can't remember. 

I reckon ISIS have probably killed more Muslims than the west in the last decade, probably by a factor of 10.

People on twitter were saying "I stand with Yemen" after the airstrikes last week, but the Houthis aren't the Yemen people or the Yemen government. 

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2024/01/18/the-middle-east-faces-economic-chaos

The Red Sea used to handle 10% of all goods moving around the world. But since the Houthis began launching missiles, its shipping volumes have dropped to just 30% of normal levels (see chart). On January 16th Shell, an oil and gas giant, became the latest multinational to say it would avoid the Sea.

For some of the countries bordering the Red Sea, Houthi missile strikes have far worse consequences. Eritrea’s economy is propped up by fishing, farming and mining exports, all of which travel by sea owing to tense relations with its neighbours. For crisis-stricken Sudan, the Red Sea is the sole point of entry for aid, almost none of which has reached the 24.8m people in need of it since the attacks began.

Further disruption could visit financial ruin on Egypt, one of the region’s biggest countries. For its population of 110m, the Red Sea is a vital source of dollars. Its government earned $9bn in the year to June from tolls on the Suez Canal, which links the Mediterranean to the Red Sea. Without the toll revenue, Egypt’s central bank would have run out of foreign exchange reserves, which stood at $16bn (or two months-worth of imports) at the start of 2023. The government would also have faced a yawning hole in its budget, which already relies on cash injections from Gulf states and the imf.

Both crises may materialise in 2024. Egypt’s year-to-date income from the Suez is 40% less that it was this time last year. That puts it at real risk of running out of dollars, which would push its government into default and its budget into disarray.

Sorry mate but that's a load of softshite wank. Trying to solve the Palestinian issue is not something that's gonna happen anytime soon. So your recommendation is we just let these cunts keep firing missiles at merchant ships and hope they'll stop it once either we or Jordan Henderson have solved Palestine? Well fuck that. I've got mates who work on merchant ships and sail that route. You can't just let them be sitting targets for these arsewipes. 

I'm not sure you are reading my post correctly. I said or meant to say short of solving the whole issue, stopping the Israel's current operation in Gaza will not make Iran's plans go away and what is happening in the region is not (just) a reaction to Gaza.

Unidentified gunmen killed nine Pakistani workers in the restive southeastern border region of Iran, Pakistani officials say, just over a week after Iran and Pakistan carried out military strikes on each other’s territory.

No group or individuals have taken responsibility for the attack, in the city of Saravan, according to Iran’s semi-official Mehr News Agency.

“Deeply shocked by horrifying killing of 9 Pakistanis in Saravan,” said Muhammad Mudassir Tipi. “Embassy will extend full support to bereaved families.”

“We called upon [Iran] to extend full cooperation in the matter,” he added.