You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm fascinated by that stuff but I've just never looked properly. I've sat and star gazed on clear nights so I've probably seen them but not realised the significance. Might take a trip to Pex-Hill on a clear night. Might get a bit of dogging in while I'm at it. 

"I saw Mars last night"

"was it nice?"

"shot it all over her face" 

You can download some apps like Star map for tablet or phone. You can aim this at the sky and see what stars or planets are viewable.

• Upvote 2

Image from the Hubble birthday thing.

august-4-2019-herbig-haro-24.jpg

On August 4 in 2001

Herbig-Haro 24

A partially obscured, newborn star near the center of this image is shooting twin jets into the surrounding gas and dust. The shocks from the collision light up patches of nebulosity collectively called Herbig-Haro 24.

7 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Image from the Hubble birthday thing.

august-4-2019-herbig-haro-24.jpg

On August 4 in 2001

Herbig-Haro 24

A partially obscured, newborn star near the center of this image is shooting twin jets into the surrounding gas and dust. The shocks from the collision light up patches of nebulosity collectively called Herbig-Haro 24.

You're 19? 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Juniper said:

The idiots only included an apocalypse inducing asteroid on their silly poster didn’t they.

Nice work, guardians

25573E1F-6505-4D8A-8B57-F7C115B9AE0C.jpeg

Haha! I fucking love how half-arsed it is. 

"President Trump demands a Space Force, it will be his legacy!"

"Christ.. OK, get a logo off fiverr and see if the intern can knock something up in Photoshop".

Christmas star: Planets set to align in the night sky

Jupiter and Saturn are set to cross paths in the night sky, appearing to the naked eye as a "double planet".

The timing of this conjunction, as the celestial event is known, has caused some to suggest it may have been the source of a bright light in the sky 2,000 years ago. 

That became known as the Star of Bethlehem. 

The planets are moving closer together each night and will reach their closest point on 21 December. 

Keen stargazers in the UK will have to keep a close eye on the weather to avoid an astronomical disappointment. 

"Any evening it's clear, it's worth grabbing a chance, because the weather doesn't look great," Dr Carolin Crawford from the University of Cambridge's Institute of Astronomy told the BBC.

If there is a gap in the winter gloom, both planets will appear in the southwest sky, just above the horizon shortly after sunset.

The best views of the night sky on Monday will be to the north of the UK where clear skies should develop. Not looking so good for places further south, where the skies will stay mostly cloudy.

This is Jupiter and Saturn during the NZ v Pakistan test match

EpquNP5UUAMQaQS?format=jpg&name=medium

• Upvote 1

On 20/12/2020 at 19:18, Stickman said:

Christmas star: Planets set to align in the night sky

Jupiter and Saturn are set to cross paths in the night sky, appearing to the naked eye as a "double planet".

The timing of this conjunction, as the celestial event is known, has caused some to suggest it may have been the source of a bright light in the sky 2,000 years ago. 

That became known as the Star of Bethlehem. 

The planets are moving closer together each night and will reach their closest point on 21 December. 

Keen stargazers in the UK will have to keep a close eye on the weather to avoid an astronomical disappointment. 

"Any evening it's clear, it's worth grabbing a chance, because the weather doesn't look great," Dr Carolin Crawford from the University of Cambridge's Institute of Astronomy told the BBC.

If there is a gap in the winter gloom, both planets will appear in the southwest sky, just above the horizon shortly after sunset.

The best views of the night sky on Monday will be to the north of the UK where clear skies should develop. Not looking so good for places further south, where the skies will stay mostly cloudy.

This is Jupiter and Saturn during the NZ v Pakistan test match

EpquNP5UUAMQaQS?format=jpg&name=medium

Bastard weather 

Some interesting facts on this Proxima signal.

The signal was in data collected during observations of Proxima Centauri in April to May 2019, which was more interested in solar flares.

Signs of a signal were only found when this data was being reviewed earlier this year (2020).

The signal was re acquired 5 times when the Parkes radio telescope was moved off Proxima then returned to observe it over a 30 hour period.

Due to the spread of the Parkes telescope beam, it's more accurate to say the signal came from the direction of Proxima Centauri and not from it. The source could be something light years behind or either side of it. Think of the recent 'Great Conjunction' when Saturn appeared behind but close to Jupiter when in fact there was many millions of miles between them.

The Parkes telescope has a 64m \ 210ft diameter dish and is one of the largest movable dishes in the World. It can only search the southern night sky being positioned in Australia.

2 exoplanets are known to exist at Proxima. One is slightly larger than Earth, exists in the star's habitable zone with a year of 11 days but is tidally locked pretty much like the Moon is to Earth.

The signal is at a frequency of 982.002 Mhz so is very 'narrow band.' There is currently no known phenomena that creates any narrow band emission at any frequency. This suggests the signal is 'technological' in origin. A follow up question would be, is it human created technology?

The signal's frequencies wobbles like the dopler shift when you hear a car approaching. This is conclusive proof the source of the signal does not originate from an earth based transmitter.

The signal is what was expected to be found during the early days of Seti, a simple beacon with no modulation. Although there appears to be no modulation of the signal and hence no data within it, this could be due to Parkes not calibrated to detect such information.

This signal is one of 3 candidates for SETI. The most famous is the 1977 Wow! signal. The other is SHGb02+14a which like Wow! was detected near the 1420Mhz frequency of the most abundant element in the Universe, hydrogen.

• Upvote 3

Mentioning the SHGb02+14a signal piqued my interest again on it.

Like many others, I used to do the SETI@home thing using downtime on my pc to search through data for possible signals of interest. SETI have decided to retire SETI@home a while ago citing they need to look through its results. Whether that means the lack of stand out candidates is a disappoinment or not, I dont know.

SHGb02+14a was, I think, the only signal to be of interest to the SETI community. I remember the Berkley bulletin board being quite excited about it because like Wow! it was found near the 'watering hole' of the hydrogen frequency.

One of the weird things is the dopler shift of the signal. Because it's there, it proves it's not an Earth based transmission because receivers dont move in relation to each other on Earth. Yes, planes and ships transmit on Earth but Im summising that shift is miniscule so can be discounted.

But the dopler shift of this signal means that if it came from anexoplanet transmitter, the planet would be spinning 40 times faster than Earth and a half hour 'day' would appear to make any planet inhospitable to live on?

It appears the signal has now been discounted by SETI as a candidate for various reasons including it being a 'series of coincidences'! The SETI lead said 'We observed it a third time and found at the same again frequency again, but that signal had a high Doppler drift which indicated that it couldn't be the same signal, but was just a chance coincidence," he says. "It was reported by the media as 'a baffling alien signal' even though it was nothing.'

Weird, but even if it isnt a SETI signal, it is still unexplained.

Watched a podcast involving Jill Tarter, the real Ellie Arroway of Seti, discussing amongst other things, the Proxima signal.

Came across as pretty dismissive of the Breakthrough Listening project. Mentioned them trawling through archival data and the fact because they are using a piggy back method while radio telescopes are making other observations means they cannot use another telescope to confirm a candidate  signal in real time.

But what irked me about these comments is her own SETI used them with the SETI@home getting home pc's to trawl through archived data and the SERENDIP project that also piggy backed RT time.

What will be interesting to know when the full peer review paper is published on 'Proxima' will be whether the signal was modulated \ had a carrier wave at all. Initial reports are the Parkes Telescope might not have been able to confirm whether it was or that the signal in fact had no modulation \ carrier wave at all.

If it can be confirmed the signal none, that makes the chances of the signal being a reflected Earth based or satellite signal very remote because information \ data would be being transmitted.