You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Space Thread

Section_31

On 24/01/2021 at 22:40, easytoslip said:

It's mind boggling, something that will never be worked out, what would it be like if anyone found the answer to it all, it might make things a bit shit. 

It's best to think everything just is and to look at the images and wonder about it all. 

Imagine there was another colour somewhere out there. 

Fuck that, I'm colour blind.

23 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Fuck that, I'm colour blind.

I don't think the mind could handle a new colour, it's unimaginable, it would be to fantastic I tell you. 

Surely people who are colour blind can distinguish different colours/shades? What if you was in battle and someone raised a white flag, would he be gunned down? Or someone approached you at the bar in a Lavender shirt, could you not see the warning sign? 

Mind you I cant make out say footy on the telly just people running around if watching it out, a fuckin' pain glasses. 

47 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

I don't think the mind could handle a new colour, it's unimaginable, it would be to fantastic I tell you. 

Surely people who are colour blind can distinguish different colours/shades? What if you was in battle and someone raised a white flag, would he be gunned down? Or someone approached you at the bar in a Lavender shirt, could you not see the warning sign? 

Mind you I cant make out say footy on the telly just people running around if watching it out, a fuckin' pain glasses. 

It's normally just reds and greens colour blind people have trouble telling apart. Me arl fella was colour blind and he used to say the two looked almost the same to him.

39 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's normally just reds and greens colour blind people have trouble telling apart. Me arl fella was colour blind and he used to say the two looked almost the same to him.

That's what I thought it was, Red and greens, it must be weird but then again if you're born with it you'll know no different I suppose. It doesn't seem to hinder people in any way though, well not that I've heard? 

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The new colour should be called octarine if it's a kind of fluorescent greenish yellow-purple.

That's a mixture of colours, a true new colour would be inconceivable and would probably smell like something you've never tasted before. It'd be to much to take in.

Some people do see colours different though in certain shades, like browny green or khaki even dark blue and black. 

Torquiose or Turkwaah, Nougat or Noogar. 

32 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

That's what I thought it was, Red and greens, it must be weird but then again if you're born with it you'll know no different I suppose. It doesn't seem to hinder people in any way though, well not that I've heard? 

There are several different types. I just took the test at https://enchroma.co.uk/ and I'm a 'strong deutan'-

You have Strong Deutan colour blindness, also known as deuteranomaly, a type of red-green colour blindness in which the green cones in the eye detect too much red light and not enough green light.

There are a variety of other tests, the most famous of which are the Ishihara ones- https://www.colorlitelens.com/ishihara-test

I also find it very hard to distinguish a number of other colours, like pale green and grey, blue and purple, green and brown etc. I used to work as a synthetic chemist before moving into IT, and some of the titration tests on compounds were almost impossible for me, trying to discern a light pink colour change in a dark brown liquid in a flask for example.

The different types are described here, along with colour-corrected photos which show how people with the defects see things- https://www.boredpanda.com/different-types-color-blindness-photos/

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

That's a mixture of colours, a true new colour would be inconceivable and would probably smell like something you've never tasted before. It'd be to much to take in.

Some people do see colours different though in certain shades, like browny green or khaki even dark blue and black. 

Torquiose or Turkwaah, Nougat or Noogar. 

It's from Terry Pratchett- https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Octarine

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's from Terry Pratchett- https://discworld.fandom.com/wiki/Octarine

Somewhere over the rimbow.

So does it hinder job prospects then? I've never thought of it that way, looking at that picture of coloured pencils is more or less what I meant,around the greens and browns, for instance I asked to her to get me a polo shirt that was what I'd call a khaki green but she said its brown.

I have worked with people who are colour blind and it didnt seem to be a problem, but that's in construction, though saying that I wonder how it would affect the ability to read the colour coded safety signs etc, like I said I've never seen it to be a problem with the people I've known to have it. 

12 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Somewhere over the rimbow.

So does it hinder job prospects then? I've never thought of it that way, looking at that picture of coloured pencils is more or less what I meant,around the greens and browns, for instance I asked to her to get me a polo shirt that was what I'd call a khaki green but she said its brown.

I have worked with people who are colour blind and it didnt seem to be a problem, but that's in construction, though saying that I wonder how it would affect the ability to read the colour coded safety signs etc, like I said I've never seen it to be a problem with the people I've known to have it. 

It's such a widespread disability- about 5% of men have it and 0.5% women- that safety signs etc are designed to be recognisable by anyone. It would restrict you from taking some jobs where colour recognition is crucial, like an electrician, pilot or air traffic controller though.

7 hours ago, Mudface said:

It's such a widespread disability- about 5% of men have it and 0.5% women- that safety signs etc are designed to be recognisable by anyone. It would restrict you from taking some jobs where colour recognition is crucial, like an electrician, pilot or air traffic controller though.

Yes I'd imagine, I was thinking more about safety signs on construction sites, especially these days, but thinking on as you said they must be made that way as its quite common and in some cases for the visually impaired, like fire extinguishers for instance. 

It would of been beneficial though the other night with the colour that kit we had on. 

Well I thought so. 

Earth’s 'second moon' will make one final pass this week before floating out into space forever.

Astronomers first spotted an unknown object with an incoming trajectory in September 2020 and initially believed it was an asteroid.

But in December, the object named 2020 SO came within 30,000 miles of Earth and allowed NASA to confirm it is a discarded rocket booster from the failed Surveyor 2 mission in 1966. 

After February 2, the rocket’s orbit will move further and further away until Earth finally releases it from its grasp in March and will continue its journey around the sun.

2020 SO is coming back February 1 and 2 for one final victory lap before it leaves Earth’s gravity and drifts out into space.

It’ll still be 140,000 miles away, almost five times as far as in December, but still far closer than the moon, which is about 240,00 miles from Earth.

Objects both natural and manmade can get caught in Earth’s orbit before drifting out into space and are called ‘mini-moons.’

The object known as 2020 SO was first spotted by the Pan-STARRS survey in Hawaii on September 17, 2020.

Some thought it was a comet and, initially, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) Small-Body Database classified it as an Apollo asteroid, a class of asteroids whose paths cross Earth's orbit.

However, experts noted almost immediately that 2020 SO moved much slower than a typical Apollo asteroid, suggesting it could be man-made space debris.

In December, NASA confirmed Earth’s temporary neighbor was actually a discarded piece of the Surveyor 2 rocket, a failed moon mission in 1966, three years before Neil Armstrong set foot on the Sea of Tranquility.

The agency’s asteroid expert, Paul Chodas, was the first to suspect the satellite was the Centaur upper rocket stage, as it matched the Centaur’s dimensions.

According to NASA's Center for Near Earth Object Studies Database, 2020 SO is between 12 and 46 feet long, and the Centaur measured 41.6 feet.

A team from the University of Arizona corroborated Chodas’ theory by comparing the object to another Centaur from 1971 still orbiting Earth.

They determined the two objects had the same composition - 'definitively concluding 2020 SO to also be a Centaur rocket booster.'

2020 SO has been orbiting Earth since November 8, EarthSky.org reports, but it came the closest to our planet on December 1, when it was just some 30,000 miles away—closer than the actual Moon.

The proximity allowed NASA to conduct spectrum analysis and determine it was made of stainless steel, the same material as the Centaur booster.

The agency then confirmed it was indeed a castoff from the early days of the space race. 

You can say farewell to 2020 SO online Monday night, when Rome’s Virtual Telescope Project will be streaming it starting at 5pm ET.

5 hours ago, Stickman said:

Love stuff like as it shows the vastness of time and how little we've actually been here 

What a fucking great accent that guy has. I love accents, me, even 'foreign' ones fascinate me!

Great vid as well. Time fascinates me. Mention a million years to people and they cannot conceptulise it. Yeah, we all know it's a 1 followed by 6 zeros but that's all people can see it as. A million years? Fuck, that's a long time.

Stuff like the age of the Solar System and the Universe, 4.5 and nearly 14 billion years, incomprehensible. Or to me at least.

What's fascinating as well is the Universe is reckoned to be 'young' in comparision to how old it will become. Trillions and trillions of years old before the big rip or big freeze happens.

5 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

What a fucking great accent that guy has. I love accents, me, even 'foreign' ones fascinate me!

Great vid as well. Time fascinates me. Mention a million years to people and they cannot conceptulise it. Yeah, we all know it's a 1 followed by 6 zeros but that's all people can see it as. A million years? Fuck, that's a long time.

Stuff like the age of the Solar System and the Universe, 4.5 and nearly 14 billion years, incomprehensible. Or to me at least.

What's fascinating as well is the Universe is reckoned to be 'young' in comparision to how old it will become. Trillions and trillions of years old before the big rip or big freeze happens.

Have you seen these videos (they might have been posted earlier in this thread or another one)? Absolutely fantastic stuff, especially when you get to the end of the solar system in the first one, and realise you're only 3 minutes in...

• Upvote 1

The Space Force caught a lot of flak for naming its members Guardians. But it could've been FloatyBois or Astrogators.

Those are two of the 400 suggestions military space personnel submitted as potential nicknames for Space Force members, according to a list released Friday by the Air Force.

Check out the full list.

Huge opportunity missed - pc madness.