You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

Milner is a neat and tidy player. He's not bad, but he doesn't look to have taken a big step forward as his early form at Leeds promised. He doesn't seem to have the pace to be top class, and he seems a strange target.

That said, he looks comfortable on the ball, and he might well improve further with better players around him. Probably a sideways sort of move, unless I'm proved wrong. Either way, IF we do sign him, he should be welcomed and encouraged and given a chance to grow.

This is our most important summer transfer wise since Houllier decided to go with the trilogy of shit from across the channel.

Indeed.

We are perhaps facing or most important season in years. We really could go either way next year by emerging as genuine title challengers after a few astute signings in key positions or we could be scrapping around fourth place again as a result of placing the emphasis on quantity over quality again.

I don't even want to think about not putting a decent fight for the title next season seeing as those scumbags could match our most proud record.

Indeed.

We are perhaps facing or most important season in years. We really could go either way next year by emerging as genuine title challengers after a few astute signings in key positions or we could be scrapping around fourth place again as a result of placing the emphasis on quantity over quality again.

I don't even want to think about not putting a decent fight for the title next season seeing as those scumbags could match our most proud record.

Degen and Maik Taylor IF they come are not bad moves, Taylor happy to sit on the bench and Degen if he comes and is shite then we will make money on him when he goes.

As for the others, JAR, Crouch et al we should use that money to buy real quality. The squad is big enough that even if we promote from the reserves they will still be 4th choices so there is no point buying in when we have the numbers.

For example, no point selling Benayoun and Pennant and bringing in Milner, promote Anderson as the 2nd choice winger and spend big on a starter for that position.

Its time for quality over quantity.

Taylor would be a breath of fresh air: a proper pro after Carson - a keeper who thought he would step up into the England team if only he got some exposure rather than spent a few more years actually learning his craft - and Itandje - an absolute disgrace of a lazy player, as well as a poor keeper, who has inexplicably escaped the vitriol he's well and truly earned this season with his shamelessly shitty attitude. I guess I'm in a minority about Milner - ever since he did well against us in his Leeds days I've never relaxed when he's played against us, and I think he has potential if coached properly. But he's not a first team regular, I accept that.

Are you for real? our fullbacks are average at best and easily the worst in the top four infact i'd rather have bale and hutton off spurs than what we've got,i'm not gona pass judgement on insua as he's just starting, but theres to much sentiment here, we have'nt come close to winning the league under Rafa or Houllier and a major factor in that ( especially in Rafas time) is we have'nt had a top winger or decent fullbacks(marcus babbel been an exception), our spine is top class the rest is average. This is what needs to be brought in this summer no more midfielders or centre halfs, if Rafa cant see this and goes and buys a load of more average shit for positions he already has covered, well then the blame falls at his door!

Yep, that's right, we dropped silly points and drew games because our full backs aren't good enough.

I really don't get this obsession with the full backs. Why are the Mancs champions? Because their attacking players are better than anyone elses.

Degen and Maik Taylor IF they come are not bad moves, Taylor happy to sit on the bench and Degen if he comes and is shite then we will make money on him when he goes.

As for the others, JAR, Crouch et al we should use that money to buy real quality. The squad is big enough that even if we promote from the reserves they will still be 4th choices so there is no point buying in when we have the numbers.

For example, no point selling Benayoun and Pennant and bringing in Milner, promote Anderson as the 2nd choice winger and spend big on a starter for that position.

Its time for quality over quantity.

Maik Taylor would be a good signing, in my opinion. He's just what we need in that he's a relatively solid keeper and probably wouldn't mind sitting on the bench covering for Pepe.

I'm not sure about Degen. I hate to be presumptuous, but I really can't see him being any better than Arbeloa or Finnan (even though the latter has been off form for most of this season). I'd probably even rather see Darby get a go in and around the squad than signing Degen.

I definitely agree with the comment about promoting from within the reserves. One thing that strikes me about the Mancs is that whilst Brown, Fletcher and O'Shea are anything but spectacular, they are solid Premiership performers and can do a job when called upon, so for me, that is a blueprint we should follow. Promote players from the reserves to supplement the squad rather than spend £6-7m on mediocrity to make up the numbers.

We can't afford another summer of signing mediocre squad players. Some of the lads from the reserves, for me anyway, deserve the chance to be involved with the first team squad. Whatever money we have to spend should be spent on genuine quality that would improve the starting XI.

I know that this is probably a risky strategy, but I think it's one we should be willing to take.

Milner is slow as fuck, doesn't score goals and get past a man with skill... he is what you would call "a waste of money"....

And how many squad players in addition to Kuyt, Banayoun and Pennant do we actually need?

He is pretty quick and kinda skillful. He's Nick Barmby, he'd be a good signing as long as he's not the only winger brought in

This is our most important summer transfer wise since Houllier decided to go with the trilogy of shit from across the channel.

Indeed.

Why do you think we're going for swap deals and selling players to get money? We have no money, or Rafa doesn't know how much hes going to get so is trying to be canny with his deals.

Barry: swap deal

Milner: swap deal

Taylor: free

Alonso - sold maybe

Crouch - sold

Carson - sold

Guthrie - sold

Pennant - sold

Riise - sold

Unless we get rid of G&H soon Rafa is going to have to shop in the bargain basement and at the swap meet.

He is pretty quick and kinda skillful. He's Nick Barmby, he'd be a good signing as long as he's not the only winger brought in

Why do you think we're going for swap deals and selling players to get money? We have no money, or Rafa doesn't know how much hes going to get so is trying to be canny with his deals.

Barry: swap deal

Milner: swap deal

Taylor: free

Alonso - sold maybe

Crouch - sold

Carson - sold

Guthrie - sold

Pennant - sold

Riise - sold

Unless we get rid of G&H soon Rafa is going to have to shop in the bargain basement and at the swap meet.

as we all know Rafa has given his list of signings to the Suday Papers and so these must be correct you are just forgetting to add

Nemeth

Insua

Pessis

to you squad plus whoever we spend the transfer fees we get on

Time to moan is 1st September when the window is shut and we havn't added untill then i hope are transfers are kept secret for as long as possible

Again though at best he's only going to be a backup player. He's not good enough to be a regular so why do we bother even being remotely interested in him. I've said and so have many others, if the incoming player is not better than what we have in our 'first choice' side then there really is no point.

No player should be signed this summer that isn't better in their position than Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Aurlelio, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Kuyt, Babel & Torres*

*except the youngsters & a sub keeper

I've had enough of squad fillers. It isn't going to improve us. Milner is no better than Pennant or Benninoon.

On the subject of the mancs: I cannot believe any other of the top four would welcome Park Ji-Sung into their squad. He's a nothing player - not bad for a marketing exercise, but no real player, yet he's remained under the radar all of his time here. I'd wince with embarrassment if Rafa had bought him, yet this weird bit of commercial cynicism has gone pretty much uncommented upon since he arrived. Hell of a PR trick. I can't thnk of any other player who's played as many games for them - or any other top club - this season who seems so second rate.

I think Milner is better than Pennant, and also has more potential for improvement. That said I don't see the sense in bringing him in instead of someone like Bentley, who seems to be a class above both of them. I'm presuming that money is again going to be tight, and this rumour would suggest that Pennant is surely on the way out this summer?

Yep, that's right, we dropped silly points and drew games because our full backs aren't good enough.

I really don't get this obsession with the full backs. Why are the Mancs champions? Because their attacking players are better than anyone elses.

They have ronaldo who can beat a player create or score and has pace, regarding the fullbacks they have Evra best leftfull in the league if not europe also can beat players and cross the ball and has pace, neville i know he's a cunt but does well when fit and brown has been filling in well for him . Arsenal have clichy and sagna two top players especially sagna who is world class and arsenals fall started when he got injured in febuary no coincedence, chavs have ashley cole and bridge at left full and essien who has been outstanding at right full, we have been playing with a mish mash(sorry for the o'niell reference) of fullbacks such as carra playing out of position arbeloa whos just not good enough, finnan who looks a shadow of the player from 2 year ago, aurellio good in some games but made of glass insua to soon to judge, and that useless ginger prick who hopefully will be gone soon. Now do you really think our fullbacks are that of a team who can win a championship?

They have ronaldo who can beat a player create or score and has pace, regarding the fullbacks they have Evra best leftfull in the league if not europe also can beat players and cross the ball and has pace, neville i know he's a cunt but does well when fit and brown has been filling in well for him . Arsenal have clichy and sagna two top players especially sagna who is world class and arsenals fall started when he got injured in febuary no coincedence, chavs have ashley cole and bridge at left full and essien who has been outstanding at right full, we have been playing with a mish mash(sorry for the o'niell reference) of fullbacks such as carra playing out of position arbeloa whos just not good enough, finnan who looks a shadow of the player from 2 year ago, aurellio good in some games but made of glass insua to soon to judge, and that useless ginger prick who hopefully will be gone soon. Now do you really think our fullbacks are that of a team who can win a championship?

Yes. The Mancs haven't won the league because of Evra and Wes fucking Brown.

I think Milner is better than Pennant, and also has more potential for improvement. That said I don't see the sense in bringing him in instead of someone like Bentley, who seems to be a class above both of them. I'm presuming that money is again going to be tight, and this rumour would suggest that Pennant is surely on the way out this summer?

My Manc supporting brother just read this and after rolling around on the floor, a few guffaws, left the room with "good luck for next season's title challenge!"

Yes. The Mancs haven't won the league because of Evra and Wes fucking Brown.

No but they have world class players in every position on the pitch bar brown, but he does'nt need to attack because of the quality wingers in front of him does he?We have average fullbacks and i'm been kind here we have shit wingers and unless this is addressed this summer with some quality in these positions we'll win fuck all next year either. if we'd had a decent winger who could score 10 league goals a season and create 10 more we could have been in the race after xmas! When we were playing shit mid season and struggling to score unless gerrard or torres was doing something special that is when you have to try something different and because we had no supply from the wings teams knew how to stop us, because they knew we did'nt have anything different, no point having a 6'7ft striker coming of the bench if you have'nt got anybody with enough quality to cross the ball to him!

Milner is a neat and tidy player. He's not bad, but he doesn't look to have taken a big step forward as his early form at Leeds promised. He doesn't seem to have the pace to be top class, and he seems a strange target.

That said, he looks comfortable on the ball, and he might well improve further with better players around him. Probably a sideways sort of move, unless I'm proved wrong. Either way, IF we do sign him, he should be welcomed and encouraged and given a chance to grow.

I agree with this.

Why do you think we're going for swap deals and selling players to get money? We have no money, or Rafa doesn't know how much hes going to get so is trying to be canny with his deals. .

I don't buy that, there are numerous players he can sell and use the money from, i.e Crouch, Kuyt, Pennant, Riise, Carson, Guthrie, Alonso, from that lot he should be able to bring in 2-3 quality players, bring in the odd free by all means, promote some ressies and 'make do' in other areas throughout the season but we absolutely must improve the quality in the first team and a lot of people feel it can only be achieved through adding 1 or 2 quality players

I don't buy that, there are numerous players he can sell and use the money from, i.e Crouch, Kuyt, Pennant, Riise, Carson, Guthrie, Alonso, from that lot he should be able to bring in 2-3 quality players, bring in the odd free by all means, promote some ressies and 'make do' in other areas throughout the season but we absolutely must improve the quality in the first team and a lot of people feel it can only be achieved through adding 1 or 2 quality players

I agree but maybe Rafa wants Milner and Barry as his 2 wide players next season.

I agree but maybe Rafa wants Milner and Barry as his 2 wide players next season.

Fuck me.

I often think that Rafa just doesn't appreciate flair players preferring someone who can put the graft in and get the same results.

I try not to think too much about it because it haunts me but then you post something like that and it comes flooding back.

Fuck me.

I often think that Rafa just doesn't appreciate flair players preferring someone who can put the graft in and get the same results.

I try not to think too much about it because it haunts me but then you post something like that and it comes flooding back.

We might as well keep what we have to be honest. Milner is no better than Pennant or Kuyt and Barry would be like a fish out of water playing in the role that Babel currently occupies.

No but they have world class players in every position on the pitch bar brown, but he does'nt need to attack because of the quality wingers in front of him does he?We have average fullbacks and i'm been kind here we have shit wingers and unless this is addressed this summer with some quality in these positions we'll win fuck all next year either. if we'd had a decent winger who could score 10 league goals a season and create 10 more we could have been in the race after xmas! When we were playing shit mid season and struggling to score unless gerrard or torres was doing something special that is when you have to try something different and because we had no supply from the wings teams knew how to stop us, because they knew we did'nt have anything different, no point having a 6'7ft striker coming of the bench if you have'nt got anybody with enough quality to cross the ball to him!

You've totally lost me mate. You replied to a post of mine about fullbacks, suggesting that we needed better full backs to mount a challenge. I don't think we need full backs, I think we need better attacking midfielders/forwards.

You're now totally agreeing with me, so as I say, i'm lost!