You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

a full back should not cost more than 5-7m, we don't need a left back we have Insua, Aurelio and Arebloa, maybe we should have a more attack minded RB but if we can't find the right player what's the point? we should definitely be trying to improve the left and right as Brownie has indicated, we need better options there either starting or coming on. Babel starting and Yossi as his sub will not get us far.

Gary Mac was a top player though. Voronin and Degen aren't.

He was probably regarded as a bit of a journeyman at the time. Past his best, not good enough to take us to the next level.

Of all these people slagging Deggen off I bet most have never seen him play.

He was probably regarded as a bit of a journeyman at the time. Past his best, not good enough to take us to the next level.

I've seen him play and he is nothing to write home about. Most won't have seen him play as he has only played 10 league games this season! You don't let a 25 year old see out his contract if he is any good.

NEWCASTLE winger James Milner is a shock target for Rafa Benitez in a player swap deal.

The Geordies are interested in five Liverpool first-teamers, with John Arne Riise and Jermaine Pennant top of their list.

And Benitez is ready to negotiate an exchange with 22-year-old Milner heading to Anfield.

Milner moved to St James’ Park from Leeds in 2004, and also enjoyed a successful loan spell at Aston Villa, but despite his potential as a teenager he has never made the step up many expected.

Liverpool’s interest in the wide man underlines where Benitez’ priorities lie as he looks to raise funds and juggle his squad with wheeling and dealing.

With Gareth Barry and Borussia Dortmund’s Phillip Degen also among his targets, a summer of exciting purchases does not appear to be on the Anfield agenda.

Norwegian Riise is thought to favour a move to the North East.

He held talks with Benitez last week and was told he can leave Liverpool. Riise was offered to Aston Villa as part of the Barry deal, but will consider his options.

Good player and better than we already have but not by much

In fairness to Rafa you have to say his transfer record has improved over time. I can't recall him signing a "dud" for a long time (like Morientes).

His last few signings Skrtel, Mascherano, Torres, Agger, Arbeloa, if you are being harsh, have all been good signings. (In my opinion, all of them have been exceptional signings, providing great value for money).

If he wants Deggen/Barry/'Marvellous' Marlon Harewood then that is fine with me as he has earned my trust.

Gary Mac was a fluke and an exception to the norm.

With Torres upfront it's less important to have out and out wingers, we need players who like to cut inside and chip in with the goals as well as be able to cross the odd ball.

That means our full backs need to be able to overlap to provide width.

You're right about not needing out and out wingers. In my post earlier I mentioned 'wide players' but that doesn't mean they have to be old-fashioned wingers, just attacking players who have a wide starting position but drift everywhere and cause havoc. Like Ronaldo does.

Our full backs are more than good enough to provide width if given licence to get forward.

But he is wasting money, as he is swapping saleable assets for mediocrity. I would rather have £5-6m in the bank from the sale of Pennant and use that money to land a top quality signing rather than see it evaporate in the air as we swap one mediocre player for another.

That's the point I was making. He's possibly concerned he wouldn't have that money given the ownership nonsense.

Milner's alright but since when is alright good enough for us? I can understand that Rafa's hands are tied and thus you have to go with what you have, but what's the fucking point in signing Milner?

If money really is that tight i'd sell a load of the squad players and then buy three players - two attacking wide players (high calibre) and a central midfielder or striker.

Dead right mate. We can use the likes of Insua, Nemeth and Plessis as squad players. We don't need to sign any more mediocre players.

I agree with the first part. I wouldn't get rid of Pennant personally, but if we do then we'd be better off getting rid of Kuyt as well and bringing in someone quality who can play the position properly, like Bentley. Can't see that happening though. If we're going to spend money on a replacement second choice right midfielder then we could do worse than Milner, although I quite like the look of that Adam Johnson at Middlesbrough as well.

Johnson just scored for Middlesbrough. Don't know how well he's been playing today in general, but on the little I've seen of him so far he looks like a good player.

You're right about not needing out and out wingers. In my post earlier I mentioned 'wide players' but that doesn't mean they have to be old-fashioned wingers, just attacking players who have a wide starting position but drift everywhere and cause havoc. Like Ronaldo does.

Our full backs are more than good enough to provide width if given licence to get forward.

Are you for real? our fullbacks are average at best and easily the worst in the top four infact i'd rather have bale and hutton off spurs than what we've got,i'm not gona pass judgement on insua as he's just starting, but theres to much sentiment here, we have'nt come close to winning the league under Rafa or Houllier and a major factor in that ( especially in Rafas time) is we have'nt had a top winger or decent fullbacks(marcus babbel been an exception), our spine is top class the rest is average. This is what needs to be brought in this summer no more midfielders or centre halfs, if Rafa cant see this and goes and buys a load of more average shit for positions he already has covered, well then the blame falls at his door!