You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

it's disappointing as you say all these players are a step down on what we have, which isnt good enough anyway

if there's no money why doesn't he just sell Crouch, Pennant, Carson and buy one good player? there are others he could sell and raise the money, the fact is from what we know, he is choosing to try and swap them and bring mediocre players who are worse than what we have and will be very difficult to recoup any money on when we decide to get rid.

I think Rafa is the man to take us forward, but you have to question his aspirations for LFC if he sees Milner and Degen as capable of taking us to the next level.

My first response is "Why?" He's no improvement on Pennant so totally pointless signing.

On the money.

Ignoring the whole Xabi/Barry debate, I'd much rather us all the money we get from Crouch, Pennant, Riise and Carson on one player. I reckon we'd get 20-25m for those four. That should be able to get us another player in the Torres class.

I think Rafa is the man to take us forward, but you have to question his aspirations for LFC if he sees Milner and Degen as capable of taking us to the next level.

this is why sometimes I feel we need a director of football or someone at the club who can take a look at the bigger picture and say on occasion "err, what the fuck are you doing? " maybe Parry does do that and hence the difficult relationship with Benitez, thank god he screwed up the Malouda transfer for example

this is why sometimes I feel we need a director of football or someone at the club who can take a look at the bigger picture and say on occasion "err, what the fuck are you doing? " maybe Parry does do that and hence the difficult relationship with Benitez, thank god he screwed up the Malouda transfer for example

He may come good. Not saying he will, but you only have to compare Ballack's 1st season to how he is performing now.

On the money.

Ignoring the whole Xabi/Barry debate, I'd much rather us all the money we get from Crouch, Pennant, Riise and Carson on one player. I reckon we'd get 20-25m for those four. That should be able to get us another player in the Torres class.

im still hopeful of a big /good signing but it looks to me from what we know that Rafa isnt selling players he is trying to swap players around at Villa, etc. as O'Neill has basically said as much, which means we could end up with losing Carson, Riise, Pennant, Crouch and have Milner, Barry and maybe some other meaning that value is irretrievable, it becomes dead money as we will never recoup it because the crop of potential future sales he's replacing them with are worse than what we have.

The correct course of action is not to swap players it is to sell them and buy one or two GOOD players who will be here for years and in the first team. I fear we won't do that

Milner's alright but since when is alright good enough for us? I can understand that Rafa's hands are tied and thus you have to go with what you have, but what's the fucking point in signing Milner?

If money really is that tight i'd sell a load of the squad players and then buy three players - two attacking wide players (high calibre) and a central midfielder or striker.

Chris Bascombe - well informed though.

Thought he didnt write it?

No we dont. Degen may well prove to be a decent signing, support the lad and he might hit the ground running rather than having to try and reach high standards people set him which he could never reach.

Oh dear God, Elisha Scott has just confirmed that James Milner is the uninspiring winger he was on about.

People get stuff wrong all the time. Was'nt Figo supposed to of been signing not so long ago.

We might be interested, and god knows why but its not as if he's put pen to paper yet is it.

Milner's alright but since when is alright good enough for us? I can understand that Rafa's hands are tied and thus you have to go with what you have, but what's the fucking point in signing Milner?

If money really is that tight i'd sell a load of the squad players and then buy three players - two attacking wide players (high calibre) and a central midfielder or striker.

I bet Bentely doesn't sound so bad after all :thumbsup:

I sincerly hope Rafa or the club are planning to use the Alonso money if that move happens to buy a good player and that he is just looking to swap the likes of Carson, Crouch, Riise and Pennant for the likes of Barry and Milner, i think this makes sense and might be what he's up to

I wonder if Rafa doesn't trust the yanks to give him any money he makes from sales, hence all the talk of straight swaps?

Just a thought, like.

That's an interesting slant on things. Impossible to know if it's true, but if it is then obviously it would make sense.

I'd be shocked if that was true though because they just simply couldn't justify not giving Rafa ANY money to spend.

I'd rather we just sold the players we want to sell and then go out and buy a couple of top players. I know it's not that simple but we have a good reserve set up so some of those players can act as squad players.

I would love us to sign milner now, just to piss off all you fuckin cretins on here acting like children, grow some fuckin balls will ya.

What does that mean? Aren't people allowed to be frustrated about things?

We've seen the same thing every year for ages now - average players replaced with average players. No-one is criticising Rafa for the situation because his hands seem to be tied. If that is the case though, there's other ways to go about it such as what i've suggested.

Rafa's hands are tied but signing Philip Degen and James Milner are not the way forward and will not help Rafa's case in the future if he needs to go to new owners for more funds as they could argue that his record in the transfer market has been hit and miss.

Sell the dross and buy 2 pacy, attacking full backs and a right sided player with pace and skill who can also score goals.

Rafa's hands are tied but signing Philip Degen and James Milner are not the way forward and will not help Rafa's case in the future if he needs to go to new owners for more funds as they could argue that his record in the transfer market has been hit and miss.

Sell the dross and buy 2 pacy, attacking full backs and a right sided player with pace and skill who can also score goals.

What about the left wing?!

On the money.

And then we're still lacking a right sided player, a striker, a goalkeeper and a left back.

See the problem with all this sell X Y and Z and buy A is it doesn't take into account the gaping holes that getting rid of those players leaves without replacements.

Take the left back position, get rid of Riise fine that leaves us with Insua and Aurelio. Problem is Aurelio is always injured which leaves us with Insua.