You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

And then we're still lacking a right sided player, a striker, a goalkeeper and a left back.

See the problem with all this sell X Y and Z and buy A is it sdoesn't take into account the gaping wholes that getting rid of those players leaves without replacements.

Take the left back position, get rid of Riise fine that leaves us with Insua and Aurelio. Problem is Aurelio is always injured which leaves us with Insua.

Arbeloa can play left back, and he's shown he can do it well.

It's about priorities. I'd rather have a shot hot winger and an average left back than the other way around.

Arbeloa can play left back, and he's shown he can do it well.

It's about priorities. I'd rather have a shot hot winger and an average left back than the other way around.

But there aren't many top quality wingers around. Man United rely on Evra to provide width on their left flank and he is often their most advanced player on that side of the pitch.

What does that mean? Aren't people allowed to be frustrated about things?

We've seen the same thing every year for ages now - average players replaced with average players. No-one is criticising Rafa for the situation because his hands seem to be tied. If that is the case though, there's other ways to go about it such as what i've suggested.

Too put it milder, i mean stop getting so worked up, nobody has actually signed as far as i can see and Milner is a very good young player who will improve in a better team, if he does actually sign.

I think Rafa is the man to take us forward, but you have to question his aspirations for LFC if he sees Milner and Degen as capable of taking us to the next level.

The aspirations of the owners is closer to the truth. Rafa cuts his cloth accordingly.

Chris Bascombe - well informed though.

It wasn't Bascombe, it was David Harrison

The aspirations of the owners is closer to the truth. Rafa cuts his cloth accordingly.

It wasn't Bascombe, it was David Harrison

So why waste money on Milner when we have Pennant and Kuyt? If we haven't got the £ to improve what we have then leave the squad alone and carry on with what we have.

So why waste money on Milner when we have Pennant and Kuyt? If we haven't got the £ to improve what we have then leave the squad alone and carry on with what we have.

He evidently thinks Milner is a better option/alternative. And if its swap deals, he's not wasting money unless he was allowed the money to spend if the player was sold.

I agree what someone else said - its all suggests to me that he has no confidence in getting the money if he sells players.

He evidently thinks Milner is a better option/alternative. And if its swap deals, he's not wasting money.

I agree what someone else said - its all suggests to me that he has no confidence in getting the money if he sells players.

But he is wasting money, as he is swapping saleable assets for mediocrity. I would rather have £5-6m in the bank from the sale of Pennant and use that money to land a top quality signing rather than see it evaporate in the air as we swap one mediocre player for another.

But there aren't many top quality wingers around. Man United rely on Evra to provide width on their left flank and he is often their most advanced player on that side of the pitch.

You're over-stating what Evra does. A lot of the mancs productivity comes from Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes etc. Attacking players, not defenders.

I'm not debating this though because this forum is becoming a fucking play-pen for teenagers to discuss football manager-esque activities.

Too put it milder, i mean stop getting so worked up, nobody has actually signed as far as i can see and Milner is a very good young player who will improve in a better team, if he does actually sign.

Milner is average. If he signs, then he'll prove it too.

So keep Riise then.

We don't need him. Without getting all football manager on it, this is what we could do (I know it's not this simple but just for illustrative purposes):

Sell - Crouch, Riise, Benayoun, Voronin, Carson, Kuyt and Alonso for approx £45M

Buy - Central midfielder (£10M), wide player (£20M), wide player (£20M)

Squad would then resemble:

Goalkeepers - Reina and Itandje (or a free transfer back-up such as Taylor)

Full backs - Finnan, Arbeloa, Aurelio and Insua

Centre backs - Carra, Agger, Skrtel and Hyypia

Centre Mid - Mascherano, NEW PLAYER (£10M), Lucas, Plessis

Right Wing - NEW PLAYER (£20M), Pennant

Left Wing - NEW PLAYER (£20M), Babel

The Hole - Gerrard

Strikers - Torres, Babel, Nemeth

That squad would be thinner, but potentially with more quality in the team. It may be slightly light in certain areas, but we have good players as back-up from the successful reserve team.

I'm not saying that's how we should definitely do it, and I realise it's not that easy but it's just a point to show that there are other ways of doing things rather than just selling average players and replacing them with average players.

You're over-stating what Evra does. A lot of the mancs productivity comes from Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes etc. Attacking players, not defenders.

I'm not debating this though because this forum is becoming a fucking play-pen for teenagers to discuss football manager-esque activities.

True but the width comes from Evra. Ronaldo doesn't hug the touch line like Giggs used to. I feel that we need to sign 2 full backs to bomb on and provide the width, with Mascherano and Barry/Alonso providing the cover in front of the centre halves allowing the full backs to venture forward. We need someone to take Kuyt's place, but I would prefer a playmaker or a right sided forward who can score double figures.

With Torres upfront it's less important to have out and out wingers, we need players who like to cut inside and chip in with the goals as well as be able to cross the odd ball.

That means our full backs need to be able to overlap to provide width.

With Torres upfront it's less important to have out and out wingers, we need players who like to cut inside and chip in with the goals as well as be able to cross the odd ball.

That means our full backs need to be able to overlap to provide width.

Spot on.