You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

5 hours ago, Strontium said:

Even Brian Reade has enough tact not to shit all over a granny's funeral. 

Its not the individual death its the privilege and fuss over a very rich granny who lived in taxpayer funded castles rent free and avoided paying inheritance tax and lobbied governments not to reveal their wealth. I'm sure he'll raise a point or two in due course.

9 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

With everything from holidays to cancer treatment being cancelled as mark of respect to the Queen why the fuck am I still getting bills?

1 minute ago, Strontium said:

And your evidence that operations are being cancelled in Canada is...?

And your evidence that are operations are not being cancelled is...?

I went home via London Bridge tonight and the queue has reached there. That's a good 3 miles from Westminster. Everybody dressed very smartly and a few old soldiers with medals. They will be queueing for hours maybe days. I'm not a royalist but an awful lot of people are and their grief is enormous. I think it would be appropriate if everybody else respected their feelings and kept the hatred of the royal family to themselves rather than feeling the need to rub salt in what are very raw wounds. 

There'll definitely be a backlash about a year or so down the line once all the edelweiss has blown away. Australia will probably jump ship first. 

All this pageantry and news coverage is a PR operating that's been in the planning for years. They've been trying to rebrand the royals, getting William involved in mental health, Camilla in fucking anything - it was women's safety on the streets and osteoporosis at last count.

They've no doubt cynically long planned on using her death as part of said rebranding exercise.

I've noticed every time Charles visits a country the news say how he has special links to it. Scotland and both parts of Ireland apparently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

People should always protest respectfully - ideally at home, and out of sight - because if history's shown us anything, it's that quiet, respectful protest always gets results.

On a serious note I think anyone protesting atm is on a hiding to nothing . The disrespect to Maj angle is just too powerful for any protest message to stand chance of being heard. Let her be buried in peace first . Reality will hit home very soon when energy bills keep landing and winter on its way. 

40 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I went home via London Bridge tonight and the queue has reached there. That's a good 3 miles from Westminster. Everybody dressed very smartly and a few old soldiers with medals. They will be queueing for hours maybe days. I'm not a royalist but an awful lot of people are and their grief is enormous. I think it would be appropriate if everybody else respected their feelings and kept the hatred of the royal family to themselves rather than feeling the need to rub salt in what are very raw wounds. 

Can we still buzz off those nutters? 

The country has gone insane. 

3 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Can we still buzz off those nutters? 

The country has gone insane. 

You only had to look back at the mass hysteria over Diana to see this was going to be mourning on steroids. Charlie boy and Camilla are a poundland Maj and will suffer badly with all the comparisons coming down the tracks.