You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our captain...

Chris

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Gerrard ruled as hard as Redknight or BCP then we'd win the quadruple. Or if he put as much effort into his game as some people do to winding other people up.

Gerrard ruled harder in the FA Cup Final and the EC Cup final.

The manager has lost 6 away games already, it's all Gerrard's fault.

Gerrard ruled harder in the FA Cup Final and the EC Cup final.

The manager has lost 6 away games already, it's all Gerrard's fault.

No it's not all his fault but he takes part of the blame, as do others. Don't you see that as captain he has responsibility for getting the team going and that wandering around sulking won't help?

No it's not all his fault but he takes part of the blame, as do others. Don't you see that as captain he has responsibility for getting the team going and that wandering around sulking won't help?

He berates team mates but get's attacked for it. When Roy Keane does it, he is lauded. SG leads by example with his play then people say he doesn't shout enough.

He can't win. If the other players grew some balls and took responsibility when SG can't 'save us' we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He berates team mates but get's attacked for it. When Roy Keane does it, he is lauded. SG leads by example with his play then people say he doesn't shout enough.

He can't win. If the other players grew some balls and took responsibility when SG can't 'save us' we wouldn't be having this conversation.

No Rashid. You're so wrong mate. Keane gave everything and then questioned anyone who didn't. How can Gerrard demand everything from others when he's putting so little in?

It's not about him saving us, you expect the clubs' players to at least try.

I think Xabi is coasting a bit at the moment. He's not playing badly, but he's not dominating games and making us tick as he has in the past either. It's a tricky situation to judge. I wouldn't drop him - at least, not for more than one game to give him a rest - but I would definitely be asking for more from him in these kinds of games.

I thought Alonso was by far our best player yesterday. In fact I thought he was outstanding, so I must have been watching a different game to you.

He never wasted a pass, he was strong in the tackle and overall it was a very passionate and energetic display I thought.

In fact our general performance wasn't that bad. Our passing was good but we had nothing in the final third and were caught out on the counter.

That's the problem we have in these big games - we are toothless and always concede the first goal, then we have to go for it a bit and leave ourselves open at the back.

It's mighty depressing, although our results aren't as scandalous as this site becomes after a defeat...

No Rashid. You're so wrong mate. Keane gave everything and then questioned anyone who didn't. How can Gerrard demand everything from others when he's putting so little in?

When you're right, you're right.

Yes mate you are right.

However can you not see that a lot of players hide behind Gerrard?

Yes mate you are right.

However can you not see that a lot of players hide behind Gerrard?

I don't think it's hiding behind him, it's just that some aren't playing well. Good captains can rouse teams when they aren't playing with urgency, Gerrard actually makes things worse with his attitude sometimes.

I don't think it's hiding behind him, it's just that some aren't playing well. Good captains can rouse teams when they aren't playing with urgency, Gerrard actually makes things worse with his attitude sometimes.

When Gerrard's on song, he can lead and inspire players by his performance and effort. Sadly, as a captain, it's the only trick in his locker.

The thing is, he can't hold a position anymore, he makes about 1 tackle a game and lacks the discilpine required to play in the middle of the park.

The only way you can play him in the middle of midfield is by playing him alongside Claude Makelele, the Hamann we had in like 2002, or by playing 1 up front and 5 in midfield.

Steven Gerrard is best employed in a roaming free role where he can unleash hell. There's no point giving him defensive duties anymore, let him roam around behind the forwards.

He's not the same type of player he used to be.

Then fuck him, he's an employee of this club, he's told what to do by the manager, if he's not going to do what's best for the team then we may as well get £30m for him and bring in 2 or 3 players who will.

He is not the same type of player as he used to be is because Rafa doesn't want him to be. Gerrard plays Right Midfield due to the deficiencies of our wingers and roams behind the strikers due to the deficiencies of the strikers - it has nothing to do with his own deficiencies as a CM.

Of course he is a monster with Hamann and would be so with Makalele, but so what? Every team needs a Hamann or Makalele. If Alonso was a better holding player we would not be having these problems.

He is not the same type of player as he used to be is because Rafa doesn't want him to be. Gerrard plays Right Midfield due to the deficiencies of our wingers and roams behind the strikers due to the deficiencies of the strikers - it has nothing to do with his own deficiencies as a CM.

Of course he is a monster with Hamann and would be so with Makalele, but so what? Every team needs a Hamann or Makalele. If Alonso was a better holding player we would not be having these problems.

But he doesn't make the crunching tackles he used to. He is a great player we know that, but he's not the win every ball general he was a few years ago. Fine if he creates and runs into the box as he does at his best but he simply isn't yet.

Xabi did play well yesterday including a few crunching tackles but then with Bolo alonside he had to.

With the exception of only a few players, there are hardly any genuine brilliant wingers. Gerrard should have more than enough ability to be one of the best right-sided players in the Premiership if that's where he is playing. He shouldn't be roaming if he is on the right side - how many times did Finnan have zero options other than to knock inside?

I was hasty texting a few friends re: Xabi. Can't fault how he played yesterday.

Bit of perspective here. Gerrard is indeed a great midfielder when he's on form. Possibly the greatest of his generation. Certainly amongst the greatest.

However this season he has been average at best, and that includes when he's played in the middle. I don't know what's wrong, and I don't really care. As the captain of Liverpool Football Club, hiding on the field and blaming your team-mates is not the way forward. He needs to sort his head out, and if he can't recapture his form of last season at least work as hard as he can in an attempt to.

Note, I don't want rid of him and this is not an attack. Just a statement of what I can see. He's not the only senior player who has been poor by his own standards this season, but as the captain it's his job to lead by example.

Does anyone think the Barca fans are saying the same of Ronaldhino who has been a shadow of the player he was last year so far. Form Class Temporary Permanent. Make a famous saying out of that.

Can I use my 1000th post to say that anyone who attacks Xabi (or even Carra) and defends Gerrard after that game is completely and utterly clueless. Sure, Bolo shouldn't have been in the team (and won't be for long). Sure Gerrard should have been in the centre (after the ridiculous decision to ship out Didi). But the fact remains that Gerrard was piss poor - as he is in 90% of big games (certainly in the Premiership), irrespective of where he plays. Alonso undoubtedly tried, and I actually thought he was pretty good.

Gerrard is the greatest ever victim of media hype. That's the only thing I can say in his defence. Though if he wasn't such a gobshite, he might be inclined to ignore such things...

Xavi i totally agree. Carra oh come on. He is as much a shadow of his former self than SG. I love him but you cannot kid yourself. We are leaking goals because our midfield balance is off and the defence cannot cope. Part of the coping is mistakes and I feel JC makes a large proportion at the moment. He will come back tho, as will SG.

The thing is, he can't hold a position anymore, he makes about 1 tackle a game and lacks the discilpine required to play in the middle of the park.

The only way you can play him in the middle of midfield is by playing him alongside Claude Makelele, the Hamann we had in like 2002, or by playing 1 up front and 5 in midfield.

Steven Gerrard is best employed in a roaming free role where he can unleash hell. There's no point giving him defensive duties anymore, let him roam around behind the forwards.

He's not the same type of player he used to be.

Then fuck him, he's an employee of this club, he's told what to do by the manager, if he's not going to do what's best for the team then we may as well get £30m for him and bring in 2 or 3 players who will.

They will cost 60-90 million knob! You really think 2-3 lesser players would make us better than we are with SG in the side. Who would you get for 10 mil a piece? You end up with Spurs or Newcastle. A team of 2nd class good players will be 2nd class. Gerard has been our icing on the cake. A christmas cake without icing is a fruit cake. The icing makes it special and different.

Does anyone think the Barca fans are saying the same of Ronaldhino who has been a shadow of the player he was last year so far. Form Class Temporary Permanent. Make a famous saying out of that.

Did I say he's lost his class and is never going to return to form or did I say he's been average this season and needs to sort it out?

world class may arse. he has a great right foot. take away the hollywood specials from the last couple of season and when have you ever seen him really influence a game?

That is the dumbest, stupidest thing I have EVER seen on here about Gerrard. And there have been many dumb and stupid posts about him.