You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luton (H) - Wed 21st Feb 2024 (7:30pm)

Trumo

10 hours ago, Anubis said:

First goal - two defenders had a pull at Virg’s shirt and still couldn’t stop him.

Luton haven’t yet acquired the PL skill of wrestling opponents to the ground without conceding a penalty. 

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I couldn’t believe the negativity flying around at half time last night. Yes we’d been wasteful in the first half but we were cutting through them at will, there was no chance they would be able to stop us for 90 minutes.

We're top of the league, in a final, going strong in two other competitions, scoring loads of goals, winning loads of games, uncovering loads of new talent and dealing with every misfortune and setback that comes our way.

It takes real effort and commitment not to enjoy watching us, but there are plenty on here who are up to the task.

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

We're top of the league, in a final, going strong in two other competitions, scoring loads of goals, winning loads of games, uncovering loads of new talent and dealing with every misfortune and setback that comes our way.

It takes real effort and commitment not to enjoy watching us, but there are plenty on here who are up to the task.

I find it utterly bizarre. When was the last time we lost at home? Yet people were talking about Luton like we were about to play peak Barcelona. How many goals have we scored? Yet people were crying after going a goal down against the run of play with 80mins to go. How many times have we turned it around in the 2nd half? Yet people were throwing toys out of the pram saying that the title is over. Then at the final whistle after all the above has happened, again, they start crowing about how great we are. About time people started giving this team a bit of credit and trust.

• Upvote 3

I read a comment below the line in the guardian about how stressful it is to follow the reds. I find it the complete opposite (at home). We take the lead the game is over, we're winning at half time the game is over, we're losing at half time, no problem, lads up it by 20% and the game is won. Its been that way for 6 years now, bar the covid non event. In front of fans we have lost 1 game in the league in 6 years, and even that was Leeds not giving us enough time to respond. 

• Upvote 3

I can see why people were upset at half time last night, we were one nil down, had nine first teamers missing and every game has so much riding on it.

What I don't really get the need is to go online & make a complete fanny of yourself. I saw fans of other teams doing it too, just embarrassing for people over the age of about 15 to be going on like that. Just wait until the end of the game to react & try not to make a tit of yourself.

• Upvote 3

Did anyone else get Olympiacos vibes from that game? I remember that night in 2004 being 1-0 down at half time with no fit strikers and we were trying all random combinations up front. The crowd pretty much scored 3 goals that night. I was in the kop for both and although last night wasn’t quite as good, it was absolutely boss.

Oh my god that was 20 years ago.

• Upvote 1

Superfan here. Had to go to a hospital appointment with the wife last night and only managed to sneak a glance at BBC Sport showing us 1-0 down after 35 mins. Tutted and decided the reds would need the whole of our journey home to get back in front. On the way home I remembered the injuries and thought I would go to the chippy to give them an extra10 minutes leeway. Sat down in front of the tv with a Yung Chow Fried Rice, chips and curry and nodded contentedly with the 3-1 scoreline. What stress ?

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can see why people were upset at half time last night, we were one nil down, had nine first teamers missing and every game has so much riding on it.

What I don't really get the need is to go online & make a complete fanny of yourself. I saw fans of other teams doing it too, just embarrassing for people over the age of about 15 to be going on like that. Just wait until the end of the game to react & try not to make a tit of yourself.

I think the issue at half time was the lack of intensity, poor decision making and wasted possession in dangerous areas.  All of which were dealt with at half time by (I'm assuming) Klopp.  Two halves were very different.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Anubis said:

He was flat on his back for a good 10-20 seconds before that..he was completely finished. But he doesn't do too many 90s, so it's not surprising. 

2 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

But seriously, coming out second half to up the intensity, put on that pressing performance and score 4 without our top 3 goal scorers, just incredible.

I don't want this to turn into a what's our best 11, but I think the team klopp would pick if everyone was fit and we were playing a European cup final tomorrow, that's probably only 2 (vvd and macca) from the starting 11. Maybe Diaz too, as he's never really dropped him, so it might be a choice of Darwin or Jota, but I don't think so. And I know there'd be shouts.for endo and Bradley, I just don't think they'd get the game if everyone is fit. That was a genuine 2nd string there last night in my opinion and tougher than when you do it in the league cup as we'd normally have the cavalry on the bench. Rather than 2 left backs and a bunch of kids. 

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I think the issue at half time was the lack of intensity, poor decision making and wasted possession in dangerous areas.  All of which were dealt with at half time by (I'm assuming) Klopp.  Two halves were very different.

We were on top though and you knew that as soon as ht arrived Klopp would resolve it. We pressed a lot harder 2nd half which had us further up the pitch which helped a lot.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Superfan here. Had to go to a hospital appointment with the wife last night and only managed to sneak a glance at BBC Sport showing us 1-0 down after 35 mins. Tutted and decided the reds would need the whole of our journey home to get back in front. On the way home I remembered the injuries and thought I would go to the chippy to give them an extra10 minutes leeway. Sat down in front of the tv with a Yung Chow Fried Rice, chips and curry and nodded contentedly with the 3-1 scoreline. What stress ?

These strange Northern Chippys selling Chinese food!

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

There are still too many bad memories of recent times,pre Klopp,of severe disappointments. I think some people are thinking back and others are looking forward with a sense of post Klopp deja vu. I also think the Manc cheats are clouding people's views of how fantastic a team we really are. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Fugitive said:

Im a bit lost here.

You don't need to be.

You keep banging on about the squad being too small but at the same time moan about the medical staff.

They are not mutually exclusive. The size of the squad is relevant to the size and stature of the Club that's expected to go far in all competitions, and whom also has to deal with internationals on top.

If the medical staff were amazing and we had a massive squad, as you want, how would we keep everyone happy and why would we need such a large amount of players.

I hate that term. Keep everyone happy, its such a nonsense. There would be plenty of opportunity for everyone at a Club like ours, as I explained above, we go knee deep in most competitions on a regular basis. With more options there would be more opportunity to rest players and not push them to their limits. Even last night - yeah its great we won with a weakened side but if those players don't come back soon that weakened side gets more pressure upon them, making them susceptible to injury. You do realise how our Manager likes to play don't you? Go and watch interviews about his style and philosophy. Its all about energy and intensity. That's gonna take it out of a team going in four competitions.

If you want a massive squad, you must accept that injury crisis happens and is normal so why would you blame the medical staff?

That doesn't make sense. A massive squad would surely reduce the risk of injury? Unless all the injuries were freakish like the Jota and Jones ones.

I’m really confused

Don't be, its really simple.

Listen, we know Jurgen likes a small squad. But you cant (or he cant) then complain his team is overworked with commitments and fixtures. We should be able to comfortably afford a bigger squad, and in fact should have invested more in the summer, we were way short considering squad size, age and injury profile.

We let what, 8-9 players leave last year, brought in 4 and promoted 2 academy youngsters. We are still short considering Matips age and injury record, Gomez injury record and Konates, Thiago's, Bacejtics, Jones and Jotas.

As an elite sporting institution I EXPECT the club to be thinking ahead of the game, replacing players ahead of time, bringing in players earlier for the long term, having the knowledge and foresight to deal with injuries. That's what I expect a Club of this magnitude to do.

They haven't really done that the last few years. Yes we are doing well at the moment and yes we are surviving with a massive injury list but for how long? Do you expect that team last night to beat City in a few weeks if we don't get bodies back?

I don't think what I'm saying is unreasonable, its just as a Club we tend to do just the bare minimum we can get away with. No wonder Jurgen looks like he's aged twenty years in his time here, it must be incredibly difficult to manage.

As for the medical team they arnt very good. Its been shown over the last few seasons, there's been lots of upheaval, last year we didn't have a club doctor for a while, they've made sloppy mistakes and its clear Jurgen and them don't see eye to eye.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Smell The Glove said:

I find it utterly bizarre. When was the last time we lost at home? Yet people were talking about Luton like we were about to play peak Barcelona. How many goals have we scored? Yet people were crying after going a goal down against the run of play with 80mins to go. How many times have we turned it around in the 2nd half? Yet people were throwing toys out of the pram saying that the title is over. Then at the final whistle after all the above has happened, again, they start crowing about how great we are. About time people started giving this team a bit of credit and trust.

It must be Leeds in PL and Madrid in any competitions for the last home defeat ?

13 hours ago, Fugitive said:

Honest question, why do so many become little bitches when we go a goal down?

On the match threads I oscillate between hysterical fanny, superfan and big match beaut. Its just how I roll.

12 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Endo is the buy of the season. 

He's great. I love him. It's amazing how we fixed that problem so well. Credit to him!

13 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

You don't need to be.

They are not mutually exclusive. The size of the squad is relevant to the size and stature of the Club that's expected to go far in all competitions, and whom also has to deal with internationals on top.

I hate that term. Keep everyone happy, its such a nonsense. There would be plenty of opportunity for everyone at a Club like ours, as I explained above, we go knee deep in most competitions on a regular basis. With more options there would be more opportunity to rest players and not push them to their limits. Even last night - yeah its great we won with a weakened side but if those players don't come back soon that weakened side gets more pressure upon them, making them susceptible to injury. You do realise how our Manager likes to play don't you? Go and watch interviews about his style and philosophy. Its all about energy and intensity. That's gonna take it out of a team going in four competitions.

That doesn't make sense. A massive squad would surely reduce the risk of injury? Unless all the injuries were freakish like the Jota and Jones ones.

Don't be, its really simple.

Listen, we know Jurgen likes a small squad. But you cant (or he cant) then complain his team is overworked with commitments and fixtures. We should be able to comfortably afford a bigger squad, and in fact should have invested more in the summer, we were way short considering squad size, age and injury profile.

We let what, 8-9 players leave last year, brought in 4 and promoted 2 academy youngsters. We are still short considering Matips age and injury record, Gomez injury record and Konates, Thiago's, Bacejtics, Jones and Jotas.

As an elite sporting institution I EXPECT the club to be thinking ahead of the game, replacing players ahead of time, bringing in players earlier for the long term, having the knowledge and foresight to deal with injuries. That's what I expect a Club of this magnitude to do.

They haven't really done that the last few years. Yes we are doing well at the moment and yes we are surviving with a massive injury list but for how long? Do you expect that team last night to beat City in a few weeks if we don't get bodies back?

I don't think what I'm saying is unreasonable, its just as a Club we tend to do just the bare minimum we can get away with. No wonder Jurgen looks like he's aged twenty years in his time here, it must be incredibly difficult to manage.

As for the medical team they arnt very good. Its been shown over the last few seasons, there's been lots of upheaval, last year we didn't have a club doctor for a while, they've made sloppy mistakes and its clear Jurgen and them don't see eye to eye.

You’re genuinely hilarious. Our squad is stronger than most sides look at the options in every area of the pitch. It just has lots of injuries right now and it’s still winning games.

Do you really think Jurgen would stand for not having an elite medical team? He’s personally hired a lot of them.  
But very insightful of you to determine they aren’t very good