You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LASK (A) - EL Group E, Thu 21st Sep 2023 (5:45pm)

Trumo

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

The first European adventure for Klopp 2.0 starts in Austria in the Europa League - a competition where our last game was the disappointment against Sevilla in Basel back in 2016. It says everything about the competition's standing in comparison to the Champions League that I know almost nothing about the teams in our group. Toulouse we have played before, but LASK and Union SG are new.

LASK are based in the Austrian city of Linz, which is famous for the Linzer Torte (a fruit filled pastry) and for once being the residence of a certain Fuhrer. The team's stadium is new, having been inaugurated last season, and holds about 20,000. Player-wise, I know sod all.

As for us, I would think Jurgen will ring the changes. Defensively we are short of options as the guys we would use as back-ups are currently having to start, but I think Queef and Kostas will start, and Ibou also to get some match sharpness. We might even use Virg for this one, you never know. In midfield, I am sort of expecting Jurgen to go with Endo, Harvey and a first start for Grav, with Doak, Lucho and Diogo up front.

Whatever the team, for the love of Jeebus can we please be switched on from minute one! The kick-off time is unfamiliar (as is the matchday), but all our group away games start at 5:45pm. All the home games are in the familiar 8:00pm slot. Concentration, attitude and application. Do a professional job, get the 3 points and get out of there. We have the tools, we just have to use them properly. Get it done.

• Upvote 14

Posted this already in the Wolves pod thread:

I don’t think Doak starts on Thursday. Bajcetic should start with Elliot moving into the front 3 or wide in a 4231.

Something like:

Kelleher

Gomez Quansah Van Dijk Tsimikas 

Bajcetic Endo

Elliott Gakpo Gravenberch

Jota

or a 433 with a front 6 of:

Bajcetic Endo Gravenberch

Elliott Gakpo Jota

If we continue with a double pivot, we really don't need to be inverting fullbacks. It gives us fluidity and an opportunity to change things up for, and during games though.

If we do need a defender to step in to midfield, Kostas was doing the Trent role in pre-season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Posted this already in the Wolves pod thread:

I don’t think Doak starts on Thursday. Bajcetic should start with Elliot moving into the front 3 or wide in a 4231.

Something like:

Kelleher

Gomez Quansah Van Dijk Tsimikas 

Bajcetic Endo

Elliott Gakpo Gravenberch

Jota

or a 433 with a front 6 of:

Bajcetic Endo Gravenberch

Elliott Gakpo Jota

If we continue with a double pivot, we really don't need to be inverting fullbacks. It gives us fluidity and an opportunity to change things up for, and during games though.

If we do need a defender to step in to midfield, Kostas was doing the Trent role in pre-season.

I'd go:

Kelleher

Gomez, Matip, Quansah, Tsimikas

Gravenberch, Endo, Elliott

Doak, Gakpo, Jota

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

I'd go:

Kelleher

Gomez, Matip, Quansah, Tsimikas

Gravenberch, Endo, Elliott

Doak, Gakpo, Jota

35 minutes ago, aws said:

I’d go something like that except I’d play Bajetic with Endo at RB. 

Can’t add anything more than that. 

I'd start Virg but only give him 45-60 mins. I'd only play him as we need to be careful with minutes of Gomez/Matip and don't want to overplay Quansah like we did Bajectic. Saw on Saturday him tire later. I'd start him if fit though.

I'd go something like

------------------Kelleher

Gomez---Virg--Quansah--Tsmiskas

-------------------Endo

--------Elliot----------Gravenberch

Doak-----------Jota---------Gakpo

Endo can drop in at HT/60 for Virg and bring Bajectic on. Hopefully get a few in the first half so changes can be made

Try amd get the likes of game time

Bobby Clark

Kane Doherty

Kai Gordon

Issac Mabaya

24 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I'd start Virg but only give him 45-60 mins. I'd only play him as we need to be careful with minutes of Gomez/Matip and don't want to overplay Quansah like we did Bajectic. Saw on Saturday him tire later. I'd start him if fit though.

I'd go something like

------------------Kelleher

Gomez---Virg--Quansah--Tsmiskas

-------------------Endo

--------Elliot----------Gravenberch

Doak-----------Jota---------Gakpo

Endo can drop in at HT/60 for Virg and bring Bajectic on. Hopefully get a few in the first half so changes can be made

Try amd get the likes of game time

Bobby Clark

Kane Doherty

Kai Gordon

Issac Mabaya

I'd play that exact team but with Nunez instead of Jota 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

VVD should be nowhere near uefa cup group games.

Ideally I agree but you can't chance Konate and Matip/Gomez aren't exactly Mr reliable. I'd Play him so Endo can gey some time as the 6. If he was looking ready I'd drop him in at CB next to Quansah

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Ideally I agree but you can't chance Konate and Matip/Gomez aren't exactly Mr reliable. I'd Play him so Endo can gey some time as the 6. If he was looking ready I'd drop him in at CB next to Quansah

For me just put Matip and Quansah out as centre halves with Gomez or Endo at RB given Bradley is still fucked with his 'minor injury' from July that turned out to actually be a stress fracture in his back that will keep him out until December....

What would be the minimum required to top this group?  Three home wins and three away draws would guarantee it and looking at the opposition that's not a big ask.  I expect Klopp will have a good idea of the starters and subs required to come away from Austria unbeaten, while keeping everyone fresh for Sunday. 

Still, it's best to get points on the board as early as possible and these are really not good, so we should be expecting a comfortable win.

Just get these beat, Reds.

11 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

What would be the minimum required to top this group?  Three home wins and three away draws would guarantee it and looking at the opposition that's not a big ask.  I expect Klopp will have a good idea of the starters and subs required to come away from Austria unbeaten, while keeping everyone fresh for Sunday. 

Still, it's best to get points on the board as early as possible and these are really not good, so we should be expecting a comfortable win.

Just get these beat, Reds.

It's hard to call. Last season both us and Man United finished second in the group despite winning 5 out of 6 fixtures.

Winning the group is important because group winners automatically advance to the last 16, whereas second in the group has to play a playoff against one of the teams that finish third in the Champions League groups.

If we win the group we won't have any European football to worry about until the 7th of March.