You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LASK (A) - EL Group E, Thu 21st Sep 2023 (5:45pm)

Trumo

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Played half an hour for Spain u21's last week, but yes, might not start.

Just out, I could see Jones starting - he’s not had any international minutes. 

Depends what we do with the back 4 and where we play Endo really. 

It's probably unlikely Kelleher will start as he'll surely get the Leicester game next week. Can't see us playing Alisson in only one of next three fixtures. 

Tsimikas certainly needs game time, as does Endo. These players can't be completely rusty if we need to call on them for big games. Gravenberch might have trained himself into contention and Elliott won't let anyone down if called upon. 

2 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

We've also never been great under Klopp with a weeks rest, it disrupts the rhythm.

To be fair, it's not been bad so far this season, where we've had several games a week apart. But generally I agree. The added incentive now is that we're rebuilding the aircraft while in flight, and whatever stability that we can maintain the better. Five subs - a real boon for us in the situation we're in. Let's get the job done asap.

5 hours ago, gkmacca said:

Unless we know for sure that a European opponent is absolutely shite I think the rule of thumb should be: what selections would we make for a cup game against a Championship side at the top of their table? Because some of the suggested XIs I've seen would probably struggle.

Quansah shouldn't play. It amazes me that no matter how many youngsters end up crocked after being played too much, some fans still happily expect them to play two or three times a week even when they've clearly struggled with fitness at that level.

Robbo needs a rest, Elliott deserves to start, most of the forwards can play part of the game, and aside from Mac - mind the gap -Allister the midfielders pretty much pick themselves with Endo coming in. Start strong, then send on the subs. 

Quansah skipped the international week, played only 83 minutes on Saturday morning and probably won't play again until the following Wednesday in the Milk Cup. He should be fine to play less than 2 games in 3.5 weeks if Klopp wants to mind two or more of Matip, Konate, Gomez and Van Dijk. 

41 minutes ago, an tha said:

We can and IMHO absolutelty should navigate our way through this group without taking unnecessary risks with key men....especially off back of busy international periods where key men have been playing a lot of games and travelling.

Nah, got to keep the top lads sharp for the international break in three weeks.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

You expecting stronger than what people have posted?

There might be 1 or 2 more senior players starting than posted, I genuinely still think it’ll be mostly a league cup side. 

I do wonder what the bench might be. I wonder if Clarke, McConnell etc will travel. 

Whoever plays, we’ll need to be bang up for it. Our best side struggled against Salzburg a couple of years ago and this will likely be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, game in their history (same could be said for Union SG as well, although I’d have hoped we would have qualified by the time we go there).

Yeah I think we'll go as close to full strength as possible with maybe only Robertson missing out. Diaz, Van Dijk, Konate, Trent etc didn't start on Saturday. 3 of those will come in with maybe not Trent being fit enough. Maybe 7/8 of what you'd see in a league game. We have a league cup game next week which is where I think he'll make a load of changes.

6 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Yeah I think we'll go as close to full strength as possible with maybe only Robertson missing out. Diaz, Van Dijk, Konate, Trent etc didn't start on Saturday. 3 of those will come in with maybe not Trent being fit enough. Maybe 7/8 of what you'd see in a league game. We have a league cup game next week which is where I think he'll make a load of changes.

I expect that too. I think we'll want to get wins to wrap up winning the group early and will go a little stronger away from home initially with players properly rested in the later part of the group.

If we were to lose a couple by going too weak and finished second we'd get an extra knockout round in February against a team dropping out the Champions League.

6 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

I expect that too. I think we'll want to get wins to wrap up winning the group early and will go a little stronger away from home initially with players properly rested in the later part of the group.

If we were to lose a couple by going too weak and finished second we'd get an extra knockout round in February against a team dropping out the Champions League.

This + Klopp very rarely putting out weakened teams even when we've had Champions League groups won is my reasoning. I'm not too unhappy at us taking this seriously, it used to be an absolute chore watching us try navigate this competition with mish-mash teams in the early part of the 2010's (albeit we were shite in those days). If we don't treat it that way it won't have to be a chore on the pitch either. It's not like they're travelling to Eastern Europe either.

34 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Surely you make the changes for this...play the stronger line up on Sunday in league and then revert back to a team similar to the one for this in the milk cup game on weds....

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Quansah skipped the international week, played only 83 minutes on Saturday morning and probably won't play again until the following Wednesday in the Milk Cup. He should be fine to play less than 2 games in 3.5 weeks if Klopp wants to mind two or more of Matip, Konate, Gomez and Van Dijk. 

No, doc, he went off with cramp and it's advisable, at that age and level, to treat it as a neuromuscular disorder and give them a good break iwith treatment in the days after that. But do go ahead and ignore that, then call him 'injury prone' when he starts developing little niggles down the line. We do love these rituals.

57 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

This + Klopp very rarely putting out weakened teams even when we've had Champions League groups won is my reasoning. I'm not too unhappy at us taking this seriously, it used to be an absolute chore watching us try navigate this competition with mish-mash teams in the early part of the 2010's (albeit we were shite in those days). If we don't treat it that way it won't have to be a chore on the pitch either. It's not like they're travelling to Eastern Europe either.

There’s also the match win bonus in Europe.

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

This is the U21 side in the EFL Trophy tonight, I assume none of these will be available Thursday. 

I’d have thought Clarke, McConnell, Koumas, Fraundorf, Chambers etc might have been in the squad for Thursday…

IMG_0028.png

That young number 71 could grow into a decent player, if he ever has a growth spurt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

I hope it was money behind Klopps decision to go strong in dead rubbers. A CL win was worth €2.8m, an EL group stage win is only worth €600k. I suspect we will see Salah and 1 or 2 others we didn't expect to see.