You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Trent Really Worth It?

The Trent Problem   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is TAA worth building a team around?

• Yes
    • No

19 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Who can't defend, and doesn't have the tactical discipline to play in midfield. So his ability to play volleyed 50 yard passes, as impressive as it is, doesn't solve the issue of where he should play.

However, it's Klopp's issue. Not his.

Do you think Real Madrid would sign him given the chance? 

20 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Who can't defend, and doesn't have the tactical discipline to play in midfield. So his ability to play volleyed 50 yard passes, as impressive as it is, doesn't solve the issue of where he should play.

However, it's Klopp's issue. Not his.

Are you smoking crystal meth? 

• Upvote 1

He did alright defensively today considering he “can’t defend.” Particularly when he got a vital touch ahead of Garnacho to stop him going through on goal. 

I’d get him back playing as a conventional right back. He was an assist machine. I just can’t get my head round the tactical shift which largely blunted one of our main attacking weapons. 

If (which sounds a bit speculative) he’s unwilling to play right back or unable to play to the required level defensively then drop him. 

I think the system should always trump the needs of individual players. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Do you think Real Madrid would sign him given the chance? 

Not sure really. He'd cost more than he'd be worth to them. Every big Real Madrid signing also has to pass the  "will he sell x number of shirts" thing.

They wouldn't play him at right back, certainly not in any big games. 

Would be interesting to see how he would deal with the mountain of criticism he'd get after ever poor performance. Obviously fans, manager, board, wouldn't afford the type of patience players get here. 

I don't understand why he can't play both roles as a traditional fullback and inverted one.  Read the game, if we're lacking width go on the overlap, if we're strugglin to get on the ball and create from deep come in field and provide some creativity.  Don't know why it has to be one or the other, cant we be adaptable and flexible in our play?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

One thing he could do with doing (in either position) is losing this attitude that it’s someone else’s problem if a player goes past him and then he can’t be arsed tracking back. He got skinned on our left today just by the penalty box and completely stopped after the player had gone past him. Not acceptable whatever position he plays in.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

One thing he could do with doing (in either position) is losing this attitude that it’s someone else’s problem if a player goes past him and then he can’t be arsed tracking back. He got skinned on our left today just by the penalty box and completely stopped after the player had gone past him. Not acceptable whatever position he plays in.

Napoli away he was guilty of it multiple times. It was one of the most unprofessional performances I've ever seen from a player.  It was an complete utter disgrace.  It should be about pride and working hard for the team.  Does he think he's above it?  There was a bit of arrogance about VVD last season with his defending, not doing the basics but this season he's rectified that.  I'm actually amazed Klopp hasn't really pulled him up for it tbh. We all know his attributes and they are pretty fucking amazing but he should never forget the basics. 

The team is still lacking a dominant #6 in the middle of the park.  If/When we get one of those it should help Trent both defensively & offensively.

Trent can defend

We saw him defend ok during a three year span when we challenged City,won the league and champions league. It wasn't the strongest part of his game but he could do it and the effort was there. Everything changed after the season we pushed for everything and Southgate was overlooking him, and then when Southgate started using him in midfield.  Since the start of last season in most games his effort to get back has dropped, he just watches people run past him with little effort. He's happy to leave it all to Konate to covet for him. That's why I sat it's attitude not a inability to do the job. 

He's probably the most natural gifted player we have,maybe England's has. But he plays with a arrogance/swagger (at times) that he doesn't back up enough. If he was doing Gerrard things you could maybe excuse it, but he doesn't often enough. If he wants to play midfield he needs to realise you have to track runners,get stuck in and up your workmate off the ball. 

3 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Just stick Joe gomez at right back from now on and play trent in midfield. 

Gomez is more than capable get up and down and put in a few crosses, and in all honesty, trent is probably better than all our midfield, and possibly better than most in the league aswell. 

Just unleash the beast 

I get the impression the whole point of this exercise is so we can use Trent as a 4th CM at select moments, to put added pressure in the middle of the park for either pressing or as an extra outlet for creativity. Klopp wants the RB position to be covered by others when it's vacated and it feels like we've got an extra man on the pitch going forward. 

Just putting another RB in does allow Trent to do his thing, but we're losing the midfielder that he comes in to replace, kind of negating the whole purpose of having him as an inverted RB. 

Either way we should be well past the point of this being an experiment, the system should be fully functional by now, instead we still look like we're winging it. 

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Trent can defend

We saw him defend ok during a three year span when we challenged City,won the league and champions league. It wasn't the strongest part of his game but he could do it and the effort was there. Everything changed after the season we pushed for everything and Southgate was overlooking him, and then when Southgate started using him in midfield.  Since the start of last season in most games his effort to get back has dropped, he just watches people run past him with little effort. He's happy to leave it all to Konate to covet for him. That's why I sat it's attitude not a inability to do the job. 

It was actually during that season it really became apparent I’d say mate. We conceded loads at the back post from him switching off and ball watching. It was the season after when we really went into overdrive with the inverted full back tactic though, which further highlighted everything

People only see what they want to see. Yes, his attitude to defending was questionable last season. To be fair, the whole team was shambolic for good parts of last season.

But it's bollocks to still claim he isnt arsed with defending. He might not always be very good at it but he has showed many examples of "arsed" defending this season. There was one in the Europa where he raced back to the goal line and prevented a guaranteed goal. And yesterday, after Garnacho got in past him, he raced back and got a toe on the ball just before the shot was taken. So many more examples which people like to ignore because they only look out for the times he gets skinned (which happens to all fullbacks).

And let's not forget, one of our best efforts was from Trent yesterday, when he ran through the midfield to take a low shot which missed only by a couple inches. Him playing the hybrid position isn't and wasn't the problem yesterday.

We had our front 3 failing to complete 5 yard passes and looking lost. Szobozlai, our supposed new Steven Gerrard, has been off the boil for weeks and went to new depths of ineptitude yesterday. Nunez hasnt scored in 10 appearances. And even though, Trent didnt have a stellar game, he was better than all the aforementioned. And he has been a major factor in helping us on a great run of results since we switched to this system.

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

one of the best in the world.

He's not really though is he mate? He looked like he might be at one point, but he's gone so far backwards it's incredible.

He has the odd good performance, but he doesn't stand out week after week like he was in the title winning season.

Szobozlai looked like he’d won a competition to be out there yesterday, as did Mo & Grav. Can take players having bad games but that was a different level of shit from them yesterday, inexcusable. And Trent is getting some shit? Least of our problems yesterday, thought he should have done better with that shot though. Can’t believe we left it so long to bring Harvey on either. Diaz needs to be rested, Nunez down the left & Gakpo thru the middle IMO.

15 hours ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

He did alright defensively today considering he “can’t defend.” Particularly when he got a vital touch ahead of Garnacho to stop him going through on goal. 

I’d get him back playing as a conventional right back. He was an assist machine. I just can’t get my head round the tactical shift which largely blunted one of our main attacking weapons. 

If (which sounds a bit speculative) he’s unwilling to play right back or unable to play to the required level defensively then drop him. 

I think the system should always trump the needs of individual players. 

Four of the top five teams in the league is playing different versions of the inverted full back, so it’s an uphill battle to write it off in general I reckon.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Trent and Salah both left next summer. Don't think it's super far-fetched given the contract situations.

We'd lose almost all chance creation but those are also the two that defend the least and the current shape is built around them.