You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Trent Really Worth It?

The Trent Problem   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Is TAA worth building a team around?

• Yes
    • No

I don’t it’s just is he worth it as ( Klopp believes) we needed to change the way we played and that combined with his exaggerated but still real struggles defensively mean it was justified trying something else.

I dont mind the Athletic but I looked at one article yesterday about us. I was trying to process the stats about our style of play for 5 minutes and still had no idea what their point was.

14 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I don’t it’s just is he worth it as ( Klopp believes) we needed to change the way we played and that combined with his exaggerated but still real struggles defensively mean it was justified trying something else.

I dont mind the Athletic but I looked at one article yesterday about us. I was trying to process the stats about our style of play for 5 minutes and still had no idea what their point was.

Five minutes reading doesnt get you past the first paragraph.

It’s because he wanted his YouTube moment.  His ego wouldn’t allow a simple finish and everyone else suffers as a result.  It’s not about winning or the team, it’s about Trent being the superstar.

A great ball for Salah’s goal played from a position 2 yards to the right of Van Dijk.

Countless other moments where we passed ourselves into trouble with Trent being crowded out in the middle again with no right back as an outlet.  The times when he falls back into centre half when we give the ball away have me watching through my fingers as Konate goes to right back to close the winger down.  All these things are on Klopp though not Trent.  The set up was shite again.  Salah really struggles because so often the pass to him is from the right centre back if it ever happens at all and he’s having to come back to it.

His laziness rating was about 50% of normal I’d say.  He’s been far worse.

It feels like we are playing this one way which doesn’t work to anybody’s strengths any more whilst at the same time not even contemplating the opponents weaknesses.  Somehow we are still 2nd and a point from the top.  It’s annoying because you can only imagine where we’d be if we had a coherent plan.

• Downvote 1

He shouldn't have fucking been there the tit (I like the lad but he's really pissing me off at the moment). His presence confused matters, Salah already had two clear options, Trent then gets too close to the action and creates a problem for Salah, I think because he wanted personal glory.  Yes bust a gut to make up the ground, but hang back a bit to give Arsenal something else to think about and maybe pick up a second ball, but instead stead he went into the same space the others occupied so he could be the centre of attention. A bit like when he inserts himself into midfield.  Much as Trent is pissing me off I do realise Jürgen is as much at fault.

Still angry about it this morning, an horrific, embarrassing miss under the circumstances.

• Downvote 1

What the actual fuck are these comments. Players miss chances. It’s an absolutely terrible

miss but the ball slightly bobbles up as he hits it, it’s consistent with how he usually strikes those kind of shots he just gets it wrong. And he absolutely should be there as that’s how we’ve attacked for years. He’s scored goals not disssimilar (Leicester at home in the 4-0 spring to mind) when we break and he breaks forward as well.

starting to get really angry at the criticism of him. He’s fucking brilliant and we’re lucky to have him. He was also excellent defensively yesterday.

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, etho said:

What the actual fuck are these comments. Players miss chances. It’s an absolutely terrible

miss but the ball slightly bobbles up as he hits it, it’s consistent with how he usually strikes those kind of shots he just gets it wrong. And he absolutely should be there as that’s how we’ve attacked for years. He’s scored goals not disssimilar (Leicester at home in the 4-0 spring to mind) when we break and he breaks forward as well.

starting to get really angry at the criticism of him. He’s fucking brilliant and we’re lucky to have him. He was also excellent defensively yesterday.

You need to start watching the game properly.  His attitude absolutely stinks.  How there are people with this opinion of him still doing the rounds completely oblivious to his laziness and arrogance is baffling.  He thinks he’s above doing the boring dirty side of the game.  Sometimes we go a game without conceding from something obvious he’s done and that suddenly means he’s been excellent defensively.  He wasn’t.  He was sow to get to his man countless times.  He lazily wakes back a load of times as well.

It’s like he’d prefer us to concede so that it shows there was no point in him getting back because he wouldn’t have got there anyway.  It’s funny watching him start to run when Konate or someone else wins the ball but It spills and falls to where he would have been had he not been day dreaming.

Another thing that this setup is doing is boring him.  We pass it around struggling to create something because everything is in the middle and there’s no out ball to the right back.  He gets bored and tries something risky.  Their free kick for their goal came from a high risk stupid pass to Salah that was never getting there because we don’t have a right back.  It gets intercepted and then we give the foul away but if you’re living in this Trent fantasy land I doubt you even see him giving the ball away never mind the rest of this stuff.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, The Guest said:

You need to start watching the game properly.  His attitude absolutely stinks.  How there are people with this opinion of him still doing the rounds completely oblivious to his laziness and arrogance is baffling.  He thinks he’s above doing the boring dirty side of the game.  Sometimes we go a game without conceding from something obvious he’s done and that suddenly means he’s been excellent defensively.  He wasn’t.  He was sow to get to his man countless times.  He lazily wakes back a load of times as well.

It’s like he’d prefer us to concede so that it shows there was no point in him getting back because he wouldn’t have got there anyway.  It’s funny watching him start to run when Konate or someone else wins the ball but It spills and falls to where he would have been had he not been day dreaming.

Another thing that this setup is doing is boring him.  We pass it around struggling to create something because everything is in the middle and there’s no out ball to the right back.  He gets bored and tries something risky.  Their free kick for their goal came from a high risk stupid pass to Salah that was never getting there because we don’t have a right back.  It gets intercepted and then we give the foul away but if you’re living in this Trent fantasy land I doubt you even see him giving the ball away never mind the rest of this stuff.

No. I agree there are games and have been times particularly last season where his attitude and body language haven’t looked right defensively, but yesterday wasn’t one of them and actually when it comes to the big games (Man City was another one) I don’t worry about him defensively or a lapse in concentration as it focuses him and he’s in my view been excellent in both of those.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, etho said:

Acid can be great for making people see things that aren't real. Fair play to you.

As a team we butchered that chance. While it was 5 on 1 we managed to make it 2 on 1. One of the 3 lads to Mo's right needs to make the run to his left. Mo didn't really pass to anyone, he just put it to his right because there was loads of bodies there.

It's an unhealthy fixation. I don't care so much about filling the gap in defence that Trent leaves. I care more about the fact that filling the gap that Trent leaves merely moves the gap to elsewhere in the defence. No matter how well a CB moves over to the right when he goes up and inside, the fact remains that, by doing so, the CB leaves a gap where the CB should be. So while the tactic might suit Trent, it doesn't suit the defence. He can be a glorious player, as we saw at times yesterday, but the team's the thing, and he needs to either move into midfield or revert to his old position. The back four needs at least four players, otherwise we're merely signposting where the weakness has moved to.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gkmacca said:

It's an unhealthy fixation. I don't care so much about filling the gap in defence that Trent leaves. I care more about the fact that filling the gap that Trent leaves merely moves the gap to elsewhere in the defence. No matter how well a CB moves over to the right when he goes up and inside, the fact remains that, by doing so, the CB leaves a gap where the CB should be. So while the tactic might suit Trent, it doesn't suit the defence. He can be a glorious player, as we saw at times yesterday, but the team's the thing, and he needs to either move into midfield or revert to his old position. The back four needs at least four players, otherwise we're merely signposting where the weakness has moved to.

Another of these inaccurately weird theories is this one that Trent playing the inverted fullback role "doesnt suit the defence" and weakens it.

The reality is we've conceded the least number of goals this season so far. It's not as if our defence has become leaky, rather it is tighter in comparison to last season when we were always playing 4 at the back and shipping loads.

• Upvote 2

Some truly nonsensical comments about Trent in here. People making shit up and trying to justify their hatred of a player who has been crucial to the team's improvement from last season.

Some of our fans are really entitled cunts. Sure, Trent occasionally makes the wrong decision on the pitch but that applies to every world class player. And make no mistake, he is a world class player contrary to the thoughts of the idiots on here who want to cane him at every opportunity. He hit the crossbar and to them it's because he was looking for a "Hollywood finish". He bust a gut to support a counter attack and he gets slagged off. Agenda much?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Some truly nonsensical comments about Trent in here. People making shit up and trying to justify their hatred of a player who has been crucial to the team's improvement from last season.

Some of our fans are really entitled cunts. Sure, Trent occasionally makes the wrong decision on the pitch but that applies to every world class player. And make no mistake, he is a world class player contrary to the thoughts of the idiots on here who want to cane him at every opportunity. He hit the crossbar and to them it's because he was looking for a "Hollywood finish". He bust a gut to support a counter attack and he gets slagged off. Agenda much?

He will be at another club within 2 years slagging Klopp off I reckon.  It will be funny to see people’s reactions to him then.  I’ll just be glad he’s causing those problems somewhere else.  Giving him the vice captaincy is the worst decision Klopp has made in his career.

Describing his behaviour though as “Occasionally makes the wrong decision on the pitch” is funnier than anything Dave has ever written in his reports.

Busting a gut to score a goal?  Fucking hell give him the Balon d’or now.  We were all wrong and it makes up for every single time he’s stood there like a cone when a player has slow motioned past him.  It completely sums him up if anything.  He spends the majority of games walking around the pitch letting everyone else do the running because it’s beneath him now but the chance to be on the highlights package get me in there.  I don’t know how dense you can get.

• Downvote 1

Imagine being second in the league by a point way ahead of expectations and coming online and aiming the absolute amount of nonsense vitriol some of this thread is. Embarrassing frankly. You should try have a shit right back out for size, swap for Rhys James or Wan Bissaka? Fuck me. State of it.

And to add to that, being from Liverpool, having produced everything you have for the club, producing an incredible assist yesterday and actually a generally a good performance, and some absolute weapons are still on a little thread on the internet still digging you out. Laughable

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1