You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Trent Really Worth It?

The Trent Problem   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is TAA worth building a team around?

• Yes
    • No

He's the most natural gifted player we have but he shows to often that he often thinks that's enough. He's vice captain and his effort shouldn't be in question. Can't comment on today as I didn't see it. 

Bradley should come back in, we looked in a far better shape with him playing. He keeps the width and is fully switched on both ends of the field and Konate isn't left trying to defend the whole right hand side on his own. 

Not sure how you can build a team around a player where we don’t even know where to play him. It’s becoming obvious RB isn’t that position. Why though? He was a good RB a few years back & much better defensively, is it his ego? Maybe if Alonso came in, he’d play as a wing back, seems to me he wants to play in the middle & sulks if he isn’t though. The performance we seen today is happening too often but he usually gets away with it with a few obscene passes. Too much of a luxury for me. Either he sorts his attitude out or fucks off. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

Not sure how you can build a team around a player where we don’t even know where to play him. It’s becoming obvious RB isn’t that position. Why though? He was a good RB a few years back & much better defensively, is it his ego? Maybe if Alonso came in, he’d play as a wing back, seems to me he wants to play in the middle & sulks if he isn’t though. The performance we seen today is happening too often but he usually gets away with it with a few obscene passes. Too much of a luxury for me. Either he sorts his attitude out or fucks off. 

Didn't Gerrard have this issue at stages of his career. 

Too ill disciplined to play central at times, particularly in his latter years. 

Yet as a young lad, his position was rarely questioned. 

I do think ego is part of the issue. Because watching Bradley against Chelsea on Wednesday was aiken to watching a young, hungry trent. 

I do wonder whether trent fancies a fight for his position, because I thought he looked a bit "polly pissy pants" when he did come on against Chelsea, and didn't look happy coming off earlier today. 

Clearly he has bags of talent, but it's up to him to step up and show everyone what he's capable of again 

28 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I do think ego is part of the issue. Because watching Bradley against Chelsea on Wednesday was aiken to watching a young, hungry trent. 

I do wonder whether trent fancies a fight for his position, because I thought he looked a bit "polly pissy pants" when he did come on against Chelsea, and didn't look happy coming off earlier today. 

Clearly he has bags of talent, but it's up to him to step up and show everyone what he's capable of again 

I think he's probably quite happy Bradley is breaking out. He does not play fullback like Trent wants to play it. I think Bradley breaking out might expedite Trent's move to midfield, and he will not be mad at that. 

I wouldn't be surprised if him signing a new deal is dependent on what the new manager wants to do with him tactically.

The strange thing is there are not many clubs that could afford him and give him the wages he wa to that will play him in midfield. Maybe Bayern but he isn't going to play midfield for Madrid. PSG are shite and Barcelona couldn't afford Terence Trent D'Arby let along TAA. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

It’s like you tried to come up with as many bad takes that you could and then wrote them all down in one post just so everyone can see how completely clueless you are.  It’s that bad I’m questioning whether you are actually a united fan.

Gerrard never had positioning issues at any point in his career.  In fact he played about 5 different ones of them to the best standard in the league.  It’s something knobheads who want to talk him down throw at him because of his years playing in shit teams where he literally did everything himself.  Manc twats and other scouse hating cunts couldn’t throw anything at him because he literally didn’t have a single fault in his game so come up with this difficult to define “positioning” issue.

In his “latter years” we nearly won the league with him playing as a defensive midfielder all season and getting the team of the year for a record 8th time.  Honestly this post is absolutely mind blowing.

Watching Bradley the other night was absolutely nothing like a young Trent.  Trent has been absolutely shite defensively since day one and has never once put in a defensive performance like Bradley did in his early years.  There was a solid argument for years about whether it should be Gomez or Trent because of how bad he was defensively.  His defensive game improved to the point he actually started tackling people and putting himself in the right position but that was then followed by the size of his exploding and his attitude to it worsening week on week.

He strikes me as one of these young muppets who just watches highlight reels on YouTube and no actual games.  He probably thinks Gerrard behaved the exact way he’s doing now because all he’s seen are the screamers and passes.  He doesn’t see the 110% Gerrard gave in every minute of every he ever played.  I’m counting down the days until he leaves and just hoping the dreaded reveal of him signing a new deal never comes.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I think The Guest is way too harsh there obviously but Trent is consistently shite defending at right back. The thing is, if our midfield is actually functioning, we only play about four or five games a season where the opposition is good enough to take advantage of that.

I don’t think he’d be anywhere near Szoboszlai’s best form if we played him as an 8. He’s definitely nowhere near someone like peak Fabinho if we play him as a 6. I think Stacksy has a good read on it when he says Trent clearly wants to play in midfield, and that’s the whole reason Klopp and Lijnders went all in on the box midfield / inverted right back thing.

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Guessing he had a poor game yesterday and he's the scapegoat today. 

Indeed; which is bizarre, because he was far from the only one.

I can't be arsed going through the rest of the thread, but has anyone mentioned that our transition from dogshit to the top of the league was sparked by Klopp "not knowing what to do with him"?

• Upvote 1

We can't buy like the Harlem Globetrotters due to budget restrictions so we have to have players with certain weaknesses and systems to cover them. They mostly work,but yesterday they didn't. The horrible irony being that Trent would likely have been a late substitute at best if not for the tragic death of Conor Bradley's Dad.

The whole side was off and he was up against one of the players in the league he struggles with more than most (and in front of fans who make out like every touch of the ball is ronaldinho-esque). Still, nowhere near good enough, but I think he couldn't push forward at all because of the lack of cover in front of him. Grav aside, I don't understand not playing Jota out right when his hard work and battle with chilwell made so much space for Bradley going forward.

52 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

I think The Guest is way too harsh there obviously but Trent is consistently shite defending at right back. The thing is, if our midfield is actually functioning, we only play about four or five games a season where the opposition is good enough to take advantage of that.

I don’t think he’d be anywhere near Szoboszlai’s best form if we played him as an 8. He’s definitely nowhere near someone like peak Fabinho if we play him as a 6. I think Stacksy has a good read on it when he says Trent clearly wants to play in midfield, and that’s the whole reason Klopp and Lijnders went all in on the box midfield / inverted right back thing.

The guest was destroying Trent when he was getting 15 assists or whatever in a title winning team. He's made a decision he hates him and can't wait to stick the knife in when he has a poor game, despite the fact he clearly wasn't fit yesterday. 

• Upvote 4

He was far from our worst player yesterday although he was poor.

I do think he is our biggest question to answer though.

He's capable of doing things that nobody else is and brings genuine 'wow' moments but for 2 years now my eyes tell me we look a better team overall when he's not there.

He lacks the discipline (and maybe even appetite) to play right back and doesn't have the energy or awareness without the ball our current midfield set up demands.

If we shape the team around him he'll be the star but overall as team we may be worse off.

14 hours ago, The Guest said:

That 5-10 second period where Martinelli was just stood between him and Konate while Arsenal were passing the ball on his side of the pitch between themselves summed him up.  He literally never gives a shit about players going on the outside but for some reason he just stays wide and it’s because Martinelli has gone inside.  It showed to me that he’s a fucking coward.  He was hoping somebody else would deal with it but Konate can’t cover everyone.  You just can’t get away with his attitude and body position in big games.  He just doesn’t care.

It's surprising Klopp puts up with it.  You should call him, tell him he's wrong, then share all your tactical insights and expertise with him.

• Upvote 2

He clearly didn't look fit yesterday and it was a shame Bradley was not available. 

As for the question if Trent is worth it, fucking hell. Just look at the number of assists and goals he has scored - as a RIGHT BACK. He ran so many games from there, has played 300 games for us at the age of 25. 

Hope he signs an extension soon but he does need a few kick up his arse for being lazy sometimes. He also seems to be thick sometimes when it comes to game intelligence. Focus is absolutely critical for a full back, especially an attacking full back and this is where he needs to buckle up. He is an absolutely gem of a player and should be kept without a shadow of a doubt. 

• Upvote 2

You could see him at a decent Spanish side where he's got time to meander around plopping balls around, but the energy he had a couple of years back and the desire has gone. 

Countless games last season you'd watch players just saunter past him and the arms would go out "aw shucks" style. Can't be doing with it.

I know we've only seen glimpses of Bradley but it's just reinforced what an achiles heel Trent can be defensively.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The guest was destroying Trent when he was getting 15 assists or whatever in a title winning team. He's made a decision he hates him and can't wait to stick the knife in when he has a poor game, despite the fact he clearly wasn't fit yesterday. 

I point out when he’s behaving like a spoilt child who’s had smoke blown up his arse for years.  When you’re winning the league it doesn’t matter.  When you’re losing games against the top sides consistently in the big games which means you don’t win the league or champions league when you should you can’t justify it anymore.  He’s got so much talent but refuses to learn and do the basic stuff.  Add that to the in game laziness we constantly see and that’s what you get served up.  I’m not buying this back from injury nonsense either. He’s been doing this shit in games for YEARS now.

He’s never gonna be a midfielder in a Klopp team. Apparently he’s looked half decent in a Gareth Southgate team. 

He’s the Scouser in our team but if he’s dead set on central midfield then maybe we should cash in. He’s totally given up on putting a proper shift in at RB, where his previous efforts saw him become one of the best players in the world in that position. 

It’s a big problem that the new manager will need to solve straight away. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I point out when he’s behaving like a spoilt child who’s had smoke blown up his arse for years.  When you’re winning the league it doesn’t matter.  When you’re losing games against the top sides consistently in the big games which means you don’t win the league or champions league when you should you can’t justify it anymore.  He’s got so much talent but refuses to learn and do the basic stuff.  Add that to the in game laziness we constantly see and that’s what you get served up.  I’m not buying this back from injury nonsense either. He’s been doing this shit in games for YEARS now.

Yet you were on here slating him when we were winning leagues and European cups. That's our second defeat of the season yesterday, so it is hardly "losing games against the top sides consistently". And when he went off, it was 1-1, so perhaps it would be easier to target your venom at one of the players who was on the pitch during the period of the game where we went from drawing to losing. Or better yet, save it for when we lose games consistently . 

We've lost 2 games domestically this season in all comps. Both when we didn't finish the game with 11 men.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

He’s never gonna be a midfielder in a Klopp team. Apparently he’s looked half decent in a Gareth Southgate team. 

He’s the Scouser in our team but if he’s dead set on central midfield then maybe we should cash in. He’s totally given up on putting a proper shift in at RB, where his previous efforts saw him become one of the best players in the world in that position. 

It’s a big problem that the new manager will need to solve straight away. 

It will be a big question mark, what a new manager would do. Because some managers just won't bother. Like Southgate has, for example. He resisted playing him for a long time.

Alonso, his football is less direct than Klopp's. Would he need someone that can ping 50 yard passes but who is a headache to place on the pitch? That is a question.

Most people will assume managers who know what they're doing will just look at his talent and try to make it work, but that is not set in stone, in my opinion. We still don't know if he has what it takes to be a top centre mid, with everything that entails, with and without the ball.

Like I said above, if I were him, I would not extend until I knew the next guy wanted to make me a centre mid.