You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Motson RIP

JohnnyH

Just now, an tha said:

Never thought he was all that as a commentator myself and became a parody of himself in his latter years.

Preferred Barry Davies on BBC and Brian Moore on ITV and the regional fellers like Gerald Sindstadt.

Yep. I preferred those commentators too, but Motson seemed to voice all those iconic moments of being a Liverpool fan in the 1980s.  His voice just brings back great memoires of Souness, Rush, Kenny, McDermot, and all those players I loved.  Like when you smell something and it takes you back to a great holiday or a perfume reminds you of a long forgotten girlfriend; Motson's voice evokes memories of halcyon days, for me.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yep. I preferred those commentators too, but Motson seemed to voice all those iconic moments of being a Liverpool fan in the 1980s.  His voice just brings back great memoires of Souness, Rush, Kenny, McDermot, and all those players I loved.  Like when you smell something and it takes you back to a great holiday or a perfume reminds you of a long forgotten girlfriend; Motson's voice evokes memories of halcyon days, for me.

What i will say is as much as i didn't like his commentary (and i am probably to be totally fair allowing the latter years to cloud my views too much, where i just found him irritating) is that unlike the clowns on sky today (although the biggest clown Tyler is from Motson's era) his and his peers commentary was free of the agenda driven nonsense, at times frankly bias and hyperbole of today.

• Upvote 1

I was in Cape Town with my mate for the 2010 World Cup. We were leaving North Korea v Portugal and Motson & Harry Redknapp were going through some VIP section about 50 yards away from us. I wanted a wave from them…

Motty…

MOTTY…

MMMOOOTTTTTTTTYYY

No response.

Harry…

Instant wave back.

I’m not saying Motson deserved to die for that ignorant behaviour, I just don’t think it helped him in the long run. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I was in Cape Town with my mate for the 2010 World Cup. We were leaving North Korea v Portugal and Motson & Harry Redknapp were going through some VIP section about 50 yards away from us. I wanted a wave from them…

Motty…

MOTTY…

MMMOOOTTTTTTTTYYY

No response.

Harry…

Instant wave back.

I’m not saying Motson deserved to die for that ignorant behaviour, I just don’t think it helped him in the long run. 

Probably a bit mutton at his age with all the crowds he'd been in.

One of the great football commentators, especially in the ‘70s and ‘80s, even if he wasn’t my favourite. Football commentary was so much better years ago, than it is now. Commentators in those days didn’t feel the need to waffle on incessantly. They let the game do the talking and allowed the viewer to take in the atmosphere. Less is more.

• Upvote 6

Didn’t mind Motson, as has been said, he was around for some of some of our greatest achievements and was relatively unbiased, except for Crystal Palace(?) who I think were his favourite team. Stand corrected if not. 
Certainly more listenable than some of today’s agenda driven idiots.

RIP Matty.