You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Motson RIP

JohnnyH

14 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Iconic commentary

Great commentary.

A couple of observations: They're playing with an Adidas Tango. I thought it was all Mitre in those days? @Tony Moanero

Both Rush and Lawrenson are missing front teeth. That should therefore be a primary consideration in any summer signing this year. We need more lads missing front teeth. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Great commentary.

A couple of observations: They're playing with an Adidas Tango. I thought it was all Mitre in those days? @Tony Moanero

Both Rush and Lawrenson are both missing front teeth. That should therefore be a primary consideration in any summer signing this year. We need more lads missing front teeth. 

Clubs used own choice of balls then.

We used a tango at home in the 80's

Some clubs used that white and red surridge ball, some used mitre. 

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Interesting. Can you imagine that happening today? Sean Dyche having a set made from gravel and pig's intestines with a sponge outer layer. 

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, an tha said:

A fella my dad worked with lived in a house that backed on to Melwood. One day my dad came home and this fella had given him one of those tango footies that he found in his garden to give to me. I treasured it like a new born baby.

Loved Motson’s voice as a kid. Whenever he said the word ‘Liverpool ‘ it always took me back to those glory years and 80s liverpool videos. Can’t believe people liked Brian Moore though. Maybe he had gone downhill by the time I started watching but he was awful.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Great commentary.

Both Rush and Lawrenson are missing front teeth. That should therefore be a primary consideration in any summer signing this year. We need more lads missing front teeth. 

There are arguments that we are toothless enough.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Great commentary.

Major championships had their own ball sponsors. FIFA and UEFA were almost literally run by adidas.(See FIFA corruption series on Netflix.)

In his later years he became overly hysterical, and he was insufferable during the Shitcoat/Drogbaaaarrrr years at Chelsea, but it was also obvious that he was hugely enthusiastic about the game as a whole. And his voice was the soundtrack to many a memorable footballing moment. May he and his sheepskin coat rest in peace.

5 hours ago, an tha said:

Never thought he was all that as a commentator myself and became a parody of himself in his latter years.

Preferred Barry Davies on BBC and Brian Moore on ITV and the regional fellers like Gerald Sindstadt.

Trump would be proud of that obituary. 

58 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

A fella my dad worked with lived in a house that backed on to Melwood. One day my dad came home and this fella had given him one of those tango footies that he found in his garden to give to me. I treasured it like a new born baby.

Loved Motson’s voice as a kid. Whenever he said the word ‘Liverpool ‘ it always took me back to those glory years and 80s liverpool videos. Can’t believe people liked Brian Moore though. Maybe he had gone downhill by the time I started watching but he was awful.

Nice...yeah be no chance i'd be taking that casey and kicking it up walls.

Personal choice of course but give me Moore over Motson all day.

3 hours ago, NoelM said:

That was a brilliant match, France had an incredible team but that Portugese team was really good too - Chalana on the left, Pacheco and Pereira in the middle.

I watched the 82 world cup but was a bit young to understand. 84 was my first tournament and that French team were a great watch. Platini was a star but I loved Tigana

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gkmacca said:

'And the Crazy Gang have beaten the Culture Club'. Yes, Motty, that wasn't at all rehearsed, nor delivered with relish. Seemed a harmless bloke until he started to take seriously all the 'Motty' mythology. All the same, RIP, I fancy - what say you, Mr Brooking?

I dare say he had "the culture club have beaten the crazy gang" in his locker, had the result gine the other way though. 

I remember playing the PC version of Fifa 95 / 96 (?) years ago, late at night, and now and then Motty would pop up with "Do you always play this game this time of night?". First time I heard that I was very stoned. It blew my fucking mind. 

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Razoray said:

I watched the 82 world cup but was a bit young to understand. 84 was my first tournament and that French team were a great watch. Platini was a star but I loved Tigana

I barely remember anything about the 78 world cup apart from Kempes and Luque for Argentina. IMO 82 -90  was the golden era for World Cups and Euro Championships.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KMD7 said:

I barely remember anything about the 78 world cup apart from Kempes and Luque for Argentina. IMO 82 -90  was the golden era for World Cups and Euro Championships.  

The games were sometimes on at like 2-4am and I was still at school so only got the chance to watch early evening games up to around 10/11pm. The final was a Sunday night and I remember it vividly. I also remember 74,but not 70 as I was a nipper then.

• Upvote 2