You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Looking at other clubs transfers, and it seems that most of the top six are struggling to get players in.

You've done it now

giphy.gif

[Edit] Personally I'm looking forward to the three day respite that comes with the next transfer or flurry of transfer reporting.

7 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Looking at other clubs transfers, and it seems that most of the top six are struggling to get players in.

City have only got Kovacic in so far.

United only have Mount and Onana.

Chelsea only have Jackson.

Arsenal have Rice, Havertz and Timber.

Newcastle only have Tonali and Barnes 

Spurs have only got Maddison and Vicario (New GK)

I think the Saudi Arabia deals have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works for European clubs.  

It seems to have slowed down completely in the last few weeks with the flooding of new money, so it's good we got the two lads in early in the summer. Arsenal did well too. 

15 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think the Saudi Arabia deals have thrown a bit of a spanner in the works for European clubs.  

The difference being that those teams have regularly been very active in past windows.

Regardless of how you view the quality they’ve brought in all those teams have bought 2-3 or more per window and we haven’t.

you could say those teams only need top ups but we’ve been so lean in previous windows.

10 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

The difference being that those teams have regularly been very active in past windows.

Regardless of how you view the quality they’ve brought in all those teams have bought 2-3 or more per window and we haven’t.

you could say those teams only need top ups but we’ve been so lean in previous windows.

How can you ignore the quality of the players they brought ? Are you saying you would be happy if the club had brought in 3 or 4 each season even if 3 of them were shite snd did not improve the team .

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

If we get Lavia over the line that's us done imo even though we need a couple more.

Lavia and a centre-back, I think that'd be fine given we aren't in the CL. Though an extra midfielder would be optimal.

33 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think the only surprise in there is city. Arsenal have spent 200m, I can't imagine they want too many more. Chelsea is a shit show and clearly have ffp issues. Spurs often wait until the end of the window to try and get deals. Newcastle are working on a level of pretence that they're trying to abide by ffp. 

9 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

How can you ignore the quality of the players they brought ? Are you saying you would be happy if the club had brought in 3 or 4 each season even if 3 of them were shite snd did not improve the team .

Oh so you want us to have 13 quality players for an entire season?

what I’m saying is those other teams have significantly invested in their playing staff regardless of how you view them.

We haven’t which is why we are struggling for numbers. We’ve just gone to the far east with one of the weakest midfields I’ve seen in a long time and a defence that needs work.

I don’t know how that’s even debatable.

Do we have any more outs on the go?

On the podcast they were saying Philips is meant to be heading to Leeds, but there is a hold up of some sort.

Does anyone know what's going on with Tyler Morton? Another loan I'm guessing.

Is Kelleher staying?

I take it Adam Lewis will get released at the end of his contract or sent out on loan for this season?

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think the only surprise in there is city. Arsenal have spent 200m, I can't imagine they want too many more. Chelsea is a shit show and clearly have ffp issues. Spurs often wait until the end of the window to try and get deals. Newcastle are working on a level of pretence that they're trying to abide by ffp. 

Do they though? I got the impression the deadwood players they have sold to Saudi Arabia this year will cover them on that front

Just now, BeefStroganoff said:

Oh so you want us to have 13 quality players for an entire season?

what I’m saying is those other teams have significantly invested in their playing staff regardless of how you view them.

We haven’t which is why we are struggling for numbers. We’ve just gone to the far east with one of the weakest midfields I’ve seen in a long time and a defence that needs work.

I don’t know how that’s even debatable.

I didn’t say I was happy but you are saying those clubs are fine because they have bought players regardless of how good they are. I can guarantee that you would be screaming the site down if , after buying Mac and Dom , we went and brought in two unknowns now. Klopp has the call on who we bring in and yes IMO we should have had our business completed sooner but I don’t know the reasons for it not happening and as a club we are not alone there.

16 minutes ago, Elite said:

Lavia and a centre-back, I think that'd be fine given we aren't in the CL. Though an extra midfielder would be optimal.

Definitely need a centre half.

After Lavia, I’d hold off on another midfielder until January until we see how the others fare and what we’re missing. Three is already a lot to integrate in one go. 

Looks like Thiago and Bajectic won’t be ready for the start of the season either, which surely pushes Trent further forward. 

4 minutes ago, Strontium said:

You'd expect so, but at the moment he's our fifth choice midfielder, so...

Reassuring...

Blackburn played him for the entire year so I'm assuming he did ok there

When he had that last run in the team he seemed technically ok if pretty one footed and struggled with opposition pressure/closing down in the Premier League 

27 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Do we have any more outs on the go?

On the podcast they were saying Philips is meant to be heading to Leeds, but there is a hold up of some sort.

Is Kelleher staying?

I take it Adam Lewis will get released at the end of his contract or sent out on loan for this season?

Morton got injured in April I think after a very good season.

47 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we decided to keep him until January at least and use him in the Europa and league cup games. 

I could see a lineup of Kelleher, Bradley, Gomez, Matip, Tsimikas, Morton, Thiago, Elliott, Jota, Nunez, Doak playing in these games.