You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Matip missed three league games last season due to injury, he was unused off the bench in 12.

Gomez missed 4 and was an unused sub in 12.

Konate is the only one to worry about - if he stays healthy neither of the other two will play much, maybe Gomez a bit at RB.

The issues with Matip and Gomez weren't around availability but more about the fact they were fucking rubbish when they played

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Dundalis said:

Skillset? The kids not a potential world class player in the making because of his defensive abilities

He is not a potentially world class attacking mid - nor is he potentially world class as a box to box.

He is a potentially world class DM because he has some quality on the ball.

7 minutes ago, redinblack said:

The issues with Matip and Gomez weren't around availability but more about the fact they were fucking rubbish when they played

I think Gomez could end up being useful in the inverted set up while also providing cover at a more traditional RB role - Matip not so much.

23 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Maybe, the broader point is Colwill is not a senior CB who ironically has injury issues despite not really playing much - yet many seem to be worked up about it.

I haven't really seen Colwill - so don't know.

Chelsea related though - if we are serious about Lavia we need to avoid a biddingbwar with them, which of course Southampton must fancy and is a big part of why they are holding on.

2 hours ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Depressing seeing Sadio off there too. Probably still walks into 99% of the top European club sides. 

Sadio is probably the one player who will genuinely put the blood money to good use , assuming all the stuff about his work back home is accurate - which I'm sure it is.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Our problem has been not regularly maintaining the engine and regularly replacing worn out parts and now we have to replace all the parts at the same time.

It is bad planning and even if we say 'ah but nobody saw the saudis coming for Hendo ad Fab'....well yeah true - but we all saw Hendo's legs had gone - he should have been gone already and replaced already.

And as for way we kept the crocks Keita and Ox hoping somehow they'd suddenly stay fit/not be shite....

Lack of planning/not being ruthless enough.

If we'd just replaced Milner, ox and keita before this summer, it wouldn't have mattered if the saudi's had taken us by surprise, we'd be in a strong position. Part of the struggle this summer is we need about a million midfielders and our peers are also in the market for the same players. We liked mount, off to the mancs. Rice has gone to arsenal. Kovacic has gone to city. Tonali to Newcastle. We were linked with Fernandez early last season and he's at Chelsea. Same with caicedo who's off the Chelsea. And of course the madness of Bellingham. So while there are loads of footballers out there, we make our job harder by not getting players signed while we're scratching our balls trying to sweat the asset on crocks like keita. I'm not saying we wanted all those players above. It just reduces the field. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If we didn't want them then it doesn't reduce the field. 

It does in so much we mightn't have wanted tonali for example. But it doesn't seem we really want Lavia. We're buying him because there's nobody else. Had Tonali still been in the market, we might well have preferred him to Lavia. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It does in so much we mightn't have wanted tonali for example. But it doesn't seem we really want Lavia. We're buying him because there's nobody else. Had Tonali still been in the market, we might well have preferred him to Lavia. 

This doesn't make sense to me, honestly, we have actually submitted a bid for one -- if we never preferred Tonali why would we decide for the same money as Lavia, who we prefer and is still on the market, that (hypothetically) now Tonali is the guy?

I think this is just a dig at management.

Lads, we haven't been linked with one single centre half this summer. So why on earth, do you'se think. Somehow in the next 14 days are we going to buy another midfielder and centre half. 

We might get a midfielder, but there's no way fsg will stump up the money for a centre half. Sure they let us fall to wreck and ruin when Van dijk was out injured. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I assume Lavia is considered homegrown and he’s also a kid, which are two big pluses in terms of our policy. 

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

This doesn't make sense to me, honestly, we have actually submitted a bid for one -- if we never preferred Tonali why would we decide for the same money as Lavia, who we prefer and is still on the market, that (hypothetically) now Tonali is the guy?

I think this is just a dig at management.

We could have got lavia done in June. Nothing has changed at the Southampton end, they want 50m. We didn't want him then and if we didn't, we'd have bid in june. But now we've sold a few, we're desperate because 3 weeks from the start of the season and we're struggling to select a midfield. So we've lowered our aim and he's come into view. Tonali has already gone, so it's reduced the field. Tonali might well have been amongst the targets even if he wasn't a priority in June..

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Lads, we haven't been linked with one single centre half this summer. So why on earth, do you'se think. Somehow in the next 14 days are we going to buy another midfielder and centre half. 

We might get a midfielder, but there's no way fsg will stump up the money for a centre half. Sure they let us fall to wreck and ruin when Van dijk was out injured. 

We were linked Micky Van Der ven, colwill, tiner if you class him and even pavard. We have been linked with a few..we've never looked like actually trying to sign one though. 

Just now, TD_LFC said:

We could have got Soboszlai in June, or February, same with Mac Allister...

It's an incredibly simplistic argument that treats player acquisition as lots of movements in isolation instead of a number of moving parts.

Mac's release clause kicked in at the end of the season. We just went and got him pretty much right away. Dom I don't think was our first choice, I think it was mount  and we waited until the last possible moment and moved to our 2nd choice before his release clause expired. So in the 2nd example, we were operating in our reduced field because one of our rivals had bought one of our targets. Simple eh?

13 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I assume Lavia is considered homegrown and he’s also a kid, which are two big pluses in terms of our policy. 

Which was the attraction of mount till the mancs took him. We won't know if tonali was on the list or not (like we didnt know Dom was until we actually placed the bid) , but him moving to Newcastle reduces the field, reduces the number of available players in that position and only strengthens Southampton's position. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Mac's release clause kicked in at the end of the season. We just went and got him pretty much right away. Dom I don't think was our first choice, I think it was mount  and we waited until the last possible moment and moved to our 2nd choice before his release clause expired. So in the 2nd example, we were operating in our reduced field because one of our rivals had bought one of our targets. Simple eh?

And in June Utd, Arsenal, and Chelsea were all still linked to Lavia, irrespective of how much they want now what possible motivation is there for Southampton to sell to the first bid that comes in when they could (and still can) orchestrate an auction knowing they'll still get close to the floor value if things don't work out.

Signings are far more fluid than you're making out and the order in which you do things doesn't always indicate the level of importance.