You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

31 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

And in June Utd, Arsenal, and Chelsea were all still linked to Lavia, irrespective of how much they want now what possible motivation is there for Southampton to sell to the first bid that comes in when they could (and still can) orchestrate an auction knowing they'll still get close to the floor value if things don't work out.

Signings are far more fluid than you're making out and the order in which you do things doesn't always indicate the level of importance.

Obviously the importance of a transfer plays a part in the priority, because if it didn't you'd be fucking mad. Which is why we just went and got Mac done. Dom was less important because I think we wanted mount but the expiry of a release clause (and Chelsea's need to sell for ffp) created different deadlines. 

If you think needing to replace 5 players is no different to replacing two and doesn't impact on where you look and when, you're kidding yourself. Clearly if we'd replaced those players who left in may in earlier windows, we might not even thought we needed to replace fab or Hendo, because we had 3 other players who got on the pitch regularly and we're.embeded in the system. Instead, we're desperate but need to take a punt somewhere because we don't have numbers. 

32 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If what Baz is trying to say here is we should have got rid of Ox and Keita a year or two ago, and actually replaced them properly, we’d have a much stronger squad now, then I’d have to agree with him. Don’t think it’s all down to FSG though.

That's exactly what I'm saying. And leaving ourselves with needing to replace 5 in one summer is obviously harder than replacing 2, as well as harder when your rivals are buying in the same position. 

7 minutes ago, elvis said:

Hmm, do you think all Muslims have the same values?

I imagine they are pretty closely aligned overall - if you are on about LGB rights - those are overwhelmingly closely aligned.

In Senegal it is also a crime.

If you are suggesting that other Muslim countries would call it blood money I would disagree.

What do you think?

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Obviously the importance of a transfer plays a part in the priority, because if it didn't you'd be fucking mad. Which is why we just went and got Mac done. Dom was less important because I think we wanted mount but the expiry of a release clause (and Chelsea's need to sell for ffp) created different deadlines. 

If you think needing to replace 5 players is no different to replacing two and doesn't impact on where you look and when, you're kidding yourself. Clearly if we'd replaced those players who left in may in earlier windows, we might not even thought we needed to replace fab or Hendo, because we had 3 other players who got on the pitch regularly and we're.embeded in the system. Instead, we're desperate but need to take a punt somewhere because we don't have numbers. 

That's exactly what I'm saying. And leaving ourselves with needing to replace 5 in one summer is obviously harder than replacing 2, as well as harder when your rivals are buying in the same position. 

If Saudi hadn't come in for Fabinho and Henderson, we would have signed Mac and Szobo and that probably would have been it.

And remember that Klopp wanted Milner to stay as well. He would have wanted to keep turnover to a minimum. The disruptor is those two leaving and that clearly wasn't planned.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

If you think needing to replace 5 players is no different to replacing two and doesn't impact on where you look and when, you're kidding yourself.

Not what I was saying in the slightest.

Transfers involve more than one party so the idea we can just rock up and buy a players just because we on here say we can doesn't reflect the reality.

My comment about priority was that the order in which you buy players often isn't a comment on the priority but on the ease with which deals can be done and while they sometimes line up, often they don't.

If a team is crying out for a centre back and their first signing is a back up midfielder or a 'keeper it's not because they see them as bigger priorities it's because they're easier deals to finalise.

I’m seriously concerned now for next season. 3 players Klopp wanted to keep are gone and we’re now looking at the likes of Bajcectic and Elliot as serious options for the starting 11. I’d add Jones to  that given he was a complete non entity for around 15-16 months and did have a very strong finish to last season. 

But can’t shake the feeling we’ve completely show ourselves in the foot here.

6 minutes ago, Aventus said:

How does he compare to the caicedo of 2 years ago? 

Lavia's season in the Prem probably stacks up quite well to Caicedo's 12 Jupiler Pro League appearances followed by his 8 appearances in the PL.

20 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Klopp has been too loyal to shit players throughout his time here. I’m sure he’d have preferred to keep Hendo and Fabinho, but it’s a blessing in disguise that he didn’t get his way really.

Only a blessing if you can get replacements that make sense and have a tactical plan that takes us forward.