You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Golf - The Masters 2020

Bjornebye

I know very little about golf & have SSN on the organisers are complaining about how far DeChambeau can hit the ball. Apparently he hit one >360 yards today in practice.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, and I’m sure somebody will, but I don’t see the issue. He’s worked hard, put in 2st of muscle to improve his game & can hit the ball phenomenally hard and far. Why are more players doing the same? 

It’s like saying Adama Traore is to strong & fast so shouldnt play, but ignores that he’s not as intricate, as say, Messi.

Sorry for the f**tball references. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I know very little about golf & have SSN on the organisers are complaining about how far DeChambeau can hit the ball. Apparently he hit one >360 yards today in practice.

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong, and I’m sure somebody will, but I don’t see the issue. He’s worked hard, put in 2st of muscle to improve his game & can hit the ball phenomenally hard and far. Why are more players doing the same? 

It’s like saying Adama Traore is to strong & fast so shouldnt play, but ignores that he’s not as intricate, as say, Messi.

They asked Mickleson earlier in his press conference and he said not only is it great for the sport because people are talking about it but DeChambeau has had to not just adapt his game but apply himself to this brand new way of playing which is a huge risk. He was prasing him for dedicating himself to it. I had the Masters channel on and they had some old boy on there saying if it changes the sport then so be it. No rules are being broken, it's a tactic that's challenging the boundaries. In a sport where tactics are limited its great. 

Paul McGinley thinks he wont be too successful at Augusta with it because the key to the course is the iron shots. It will be interesting to watch him this week. He's tee's off with Rahm and Oosthuizen at 12:33pm tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

People are complaining because of the overall trend, not just because he can hit the ball long himself. In fact, he’s not even the longest hitter when you look at the stats. I think he was 9th in distance when he won the US Open this year. 

Everyone is hitting the ball further because of the technology of the ball and clubs. At the current rate of improvement, it won’t be long before iconic courses can no longer hold tournaments and normal clubs can’t sustain memberships.

You’ll need more land which means investment and there’s fuck all money in the amateur game.

The worry is about the game in the long term.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

People are complaining because of the overall trend, not just because he can hit the ball long himself. In fact, he’s not even the longest hitter when you look at the stats. I think he was 9th in distance when he won the US Open this year. 

Everyone is hitting the ball further because of the technology of the ball and clubs. At the current rate of improvement, it won’t be long before iconic courses can no longer hold tournaments and normal clubs can’t sustain memberships.

You’ll need more land which means investment and there’s fuck all money in the amateur game.

The worry is about the game in the long term.

Very well put. I am all for pushing the boundaries but as I said in the golf thread,something along the lines of a 1 or 2 per cent benefit to a professional is probably like a normal club golfer knocking 5 or 6 shots off their handicap,its a massive achievement. The technology has to be reigned in somewhere,but where exactly?

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Very well put. I am all for pushing the boundaries but as I said in the golf thread,something along the lines of a 1 or 2 per cent benefit to a professional is probably like a normal club golfer knocking 5 or 6 shots off their handicap,its a massive achievement. The technology has to be reigned in somewhere,but where exactly?

They should look at getting rid of those awful sun visor caps that Ian Poulter wears and design something that covers the entire head. What that would look like though I’ve got no idea. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I don’t know what will he done in the end but the R&A and USGA have apparently been looking into it for a while. There will be shockwaves throughout the professional game once they come up with something.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I don’t know what will he done in the end but the R&A and USGA have apparently been looking into it for a while. There will be shockwaves throughout the professional game once they come up with something.

The golf ball seems to be the most sensible place to start. They could lay down parameters that could be put in the laws as it seems that its almost a free for all in that market.

• Upvote 1

To be honest, if he finishes out of the top 10 in the Masters all the hype could well die down. He properly attacked the US Open aggressively but there's no guarantee that approach will help here. I actually hope he struggles. Sport where someone dominates just gets boring. I haven't sat and watched an F1 race all the way for years. If it becomes all about him it could be a shit tournament and I've been looking forward to putting my feet up and bingeing the Masters this weekend. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

To be honest, if he finishes out of the top 10 in the Masters all the hype could well die down. He properly attacked the US Open aggressively but there's no guarantee that approach will help here. I actually hope he struggles. Sport where someone dominates just gets boring. I haven't sat and watched an F1 race all the way for years. If it becomes all about him it could be a shit tournament and I've been looking forward to putting my feet up and binging the Masters this weekend. 

Binging?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bing+crosby+playing+golf&sxsrf=ALeKk02pFog5EpN3z8AM--qN7xVwNO_Rtg:1605172837631&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwihv6jm1vzsAhWN66QKHS1kAYYQ_AUIBygC&biw=324&bih=531#

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

To be honest, if he finishes out of the top 10 in the Masters all the hype could well die down. He properly attacked the US Open aggressively but there's no guarantee that approach will help here. I actually hope he struggles. Sport where someone dominates just gets boring. I haven't sat and watched an F1 race all the way for years. If it becomes all about him it could be a shit tournament and I've been looking forward to putting my feet up and bingeing the Masters this weekend. 

The funny thing is I totally agree with this but when Tiger was dominating I buzzed off it!

A bunch of guys are going with longer shafts in their driver this week. Mickelson, Bryson, Vijay Singh, Byeong Hun An. Those are the ones I saw, but there's probably more. Pursuit of distance over everything else. No one gives a fuck about finding the fairway.

I don't mind Bryson gaining weight to hit it far, but when technology pushes it even further, it starts to not make sense. It's getting stupid.

• Upvote 1