You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

When a Labour mp decides to take tents off British homeless people, I'll concede that the "they are exactly the same' camp,may have a point.

Things like that do put paid to the “look after our own” argument. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bossy said:

One for Gnasher to carefully analyse and disagree with. For myself, I hope Hutton’s opinion is the more correct one,  ‘Reeves does get it, but is careful and subtle about her response’.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/24/for-the-birds-rachel-reeves-has-outlined-a-plan-to-give-britain-liftoff?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Hutton and Polly Tonybee are most right wing of the Guardian/Observer writers. Unlike Tonybee, who I can't stand, I quite like Hutton. He wrote a brilliant article a couple a weeks ago about those who are technically not in work. I've skimmed through his Reeves article but will look more closely later. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Even more bizarre is the idea that the Israeli's would pay Lammy any money to abstain on a ceasefire vote when, A, how Lammy votes isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference to how they operate, B, Lammy would be bound by the party whip as a shadow minister, C, they could have got him to vote against the motion for half of that.

The shit that people believe when it suits what they want to believe is fucking outstanding levels of delusion.

"It's over, sir. Lammy forgot to abstain."

itsovernetanyahu.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

"It's over, sir. Lammy forgot to abstain."

itsovernetanyahu.jpg

Well he is probably going to be the next foreign secretary and It didn't stop him speaking out against Russia. Not sure how much he thought Putin would listen to him but he was right to condemn and make Labours position clear. Simple case of doing the right thing. Plus the Labour front bench seemed very interested in the issue when the SNP put forward their ceasefire motion  As for Israel, its a conflict of interest when taking so much money from donors of one particular country. It can lead to a conflict of interest. Especially now Israel are in the Hague charged with genocide. We can see the mess Israeli influence has made of American politics. 

https://www.declassifieduk.org/labour-mps-have-accepted-over-280000-from-israel-lobby/#:~:text=Some 41 of Labour's 197,over 50 occasions since 1999.

On 24/03/2024 at 19:26, bossy said:

One for Gnasher to carefully analyse and disagree with. For myself, I hope Hutton’s opinion is the more correct one,  ‘Reeves does get it, but is careful and subtle about her response’.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/24/for-the-birds-rachel-reeves-has-outlined-a-plan-to-give-britain-liftoff?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

I hope it is as well, unfortunately I think his lone voice will prove incorrect. Reeves has put too many unnecessary restrictions on herself. Plus she may soon regret giving assurances on not increasing Capital gains and Corperation tax. Her refusal to consider wealth taxes could also look unfair if Corperates continue to be paid eye watering wage rises and firms make eye-watering profits.

People sort of expect it under the Tories, with Labour it could understandably grind peoples gears. 

Good analysis of the Hutton article here.

Slightly off topic. Talking of Hutton, this imo is an excellent article.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/17/dont-believe-the-right-britain-doesnt-have-9m-shirkers-they-just-want-better-work?CMP=share_btn_url&s=09

Really hope this is the case, Curtice is usually pretty much spot on, especially with exit polls. From the Guardian's live politics blog-

Labour has 99% chance of forming next government, says elections expert Prof John Curtice

A lot of political commentary in the media is framed by the notion that there is still some doubt about the outcome of the next general election. In part that is just sensible caution, because nothing in life is certain, and unexpected things happen; in part that is because parts of the print media are very rightwing, and find it hard to conceive that Labour can or should form a government; and in part that is because journalism is about narrative, and it spoils the story if you reveal the ending in advance.

But it is probably time to give up pretending that the Conservatives might win. There are few people in the world of political commentary more cautious than Prof Sir John Curtice, the psephologist and lead election analyst for the BBC, and even he has decided it’s all over for the Tories.

Curtice told Sam Blewett from Politico that there is now a “99% chance of Labour forming the next administration”. He said the chances of a Tory revival were small and that, even in the event of a hung parliament, Keir Starmer was better placed to become PM than Rishi Sunak. “The Labour party will be in a much stronger position to negotiate a minority government than the Conservatives because, apart from possibly the DUP, the Conservatives have no friends in the House of Commons,” Curtice said

The original article is here- https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/a-cross-to-bear-this-easter/

18 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Really hope this is the case, Curtice is usually pretty much spot on, especially with exit polls. From the Guardian's live politics blog-

The original article is here- https://www.politic

I'm just happy his ignore button still works. This is the poster who was criticising me for quoting bookmaker odds the other day.  Although he's right about Cutice it's as if bookmakers and odds compilers do not use much of the same data and try to reach at least the same level as accuracy as pollsters. Bit pompous. 

29 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

This article embedded is an absolute pearler, I love this geezers wife's name. 

https://nation.cymru/news/concerns-raised-as-welsh-labour-selects-candidate-with-no-local-connections-to-stand-at-general-election/

Welcome to Wales, comrade  

Good piece that. I can see why locals would be peeved.

Speaking generally though, I think "being local" can be used to cover up a multitude of sins.

There's many a local politician in Liverpool who've done untold damage to the city and yet continued to get voted in because they'd nailed down the professional Scouser patter.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Good piece that. I can see why locals would be peeved.

Speaking generally though, I think "being local" can be used to cover up a multitude of sins.

There's many a local politician in Liverpool who've done untold damage to the city and yet continued to get voted in because they'd nailed down the professional Scouser patter.

It pisses me off when they drop cunts into “safe seats” that don’t even live there. You should at least live in or right next to your constituency. Piss take. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

It pisses me off when they drop cunts into “safe seats” that don’t even live there. You should at least live in or right next to your constituency. Piss take. 

Unless it's one of the Stoke constituencies- actually living there should count heavily against a candidate.

Just now, Mudface said:

Unless it's one of the Stoke constituencies- actually living there should count heavily against a candidate.

Nah fuck them. They should

move there so they can see what the world would look like after Armageddon. 

Speaking of which: 

IMG_3081.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Genuinely doesn't bother me that, as long as they do their job. As I say, I've seen too much of that 'I'm an honest working class Scouser like you so vote for me'. 

Clement Atlee and Tony Benn were lords of the manor types but I'd take them over chippy tits and Derek Hatton (extreme examples I know, but you catch my drift).  

30p Lee is another. "My dad was a miner" yeah but you're a cunt, "yeah but my dad was a miner" yeah but you're a cunt.

How ethnic minorities must have rejoiced when Sunak and Braverman took up their posts too. 

The world is made up of two types of people 'cunts and non cunts', just give me  the non cunts. *said in the voice of Jerry McGuire *

24 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Genuinely doesn't bother me that, as long as they do their job. As I say, I've seen too much of that 'I'm an honest working class Scouser like you so vote for me'. 

Clement Atlee and Tony Benn were lords of the manor types but I'd take them over chippy tits and Derek Hatton (extreme examples I know, but you catch my drift).  

30p Lee is another. "My dad was a miner" yeah but you're a cunt, "yeah but my dad was a miner" yeah but you're a cunt.

How ethnic minorities must have rejoiced when Sunak and Braverman took up their posts too. 

The world is made up of two types of people 'cunts and non cunts', just give me  the non cunts. *said in the voice of Jerry McGuire *

Agreed. Although I still think they should live in their constituency or at least be able to point it out on a map. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Agreed. Although I still think they should live in their constituency or at least be able to point it out on a map. 

Definitely, they should move there and live there full time for as long as they're MP/councillor. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Definitely, they should move there and live there full time for as long as they're MP/councillor. 

And Rees-Mogg should be made to move to The Gorbals 

• Upvote 1

The magic money tree's back. I didn't realise we'd junked our own currency and left the Bank of England.. 

20240329_081442.jpg

Here's our future chancellor trotting out the same tory economic catchphrase. 

I wonder if when deciding to join a political party they walked through the wrong door. 

https://positivemoney.org/2017/06/magic-money-tree/