You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Andy Burnham will be as popular as pig shit. He couldn’t even beat Ed Miliband. The ‘right’ will eat him alive. Anybody thinking he’s the guy to unify the party and win an election are fantasists. 

I like him mainly because of his Hillsborough efforts , but can't see why his popularity has soared after doing a worse job for his city over the covid negotiations than Rotheram and Anderson. I can only put it down to him actually showing a bit of passion .

Just now, sir roger said:

I like him mainly because of his Hillsborough efforts , but can't see why his popularity has soared after doing a worse job for his city over the covid negotiations than Rotheram and Anderson. I can only put it down to him actually showing a bit of passion .

I like him too. I liked him when he was putting forward the care service idea. But he is currently popular on the left because of who he isn’t. If Labour’s answer to winning an election is Andy Burnham, then the lunatics are running the asylum. 

Ah well. I guess we will see soon enough. 

7 minutes ago, sir roger said:

He didn't do a worse job, he refused to accept 60% furlogh, which Rotherham jumped at.

One stood up and the gov eventually climed down, the other took the easy option.

Burnham did really well for Greater Manchester and the surrounding area and was punished by the tories for standing up to them, Rotherham took the first thing available.

You can debate which was more savvy long in to the night, but 'King Ov Norf' gets my vote.

16 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Andy Burnham will be as popular as pig shit. He couldn’t even beat Ed Miliband. The ‘right’ will eat him alive. Anybody thinking he’s the guy to unify the party and win an election are fantasists. 

I think it's your comment on the "right" which may actually get him the job, I think a lot of people in the Labour party want someone who'll tell the 'right' to go fuck themselves.  I'm afraid I agree with you on Andys overall changes though, he'll get hammered.

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I like him too. I liked him when he was putting forward the care service idea. But he is currently popular on the left because of who he isn’t. If Labour’s answer to winning an election is Andy Burnham, then the lunatics are running the asylum. 

Ah well. I guess we will see soon enough. 

is it the left pushing him ? 

Not easy to see a full picture but he doesn't seem liked at all on the usual suspects like Skwawkbox and not seen him pushed by any noted lefties on twitter or in the media etc. I would imagine most of his backers at this point are middle grounders disappointed by Starmer.

Just now, sir roger said:

Not easy to see a full picture but he doesn't seem liked at all on the usual suspects like Skwawkbox and not seen him pushed by any noted lefties on twitter or in the media etc. I would imagine most of his backers at this point are middle grounders disappointed by Starmer.

The 'left' push is from Richard Burgon who is on maneuvers, which will ultimately be futile as he's a clown.

The 'right' want Reeves, or at a push Cooper.

Burnham has support from some influential MP's, including the 'Metropolitan Elite' made up of people who nominally identify from both sides, but who now make up a core of 'above it all' politicians who are looking to get rid of Starmer who has few people willing to fight for him.

22 minutes ago, sir roger said:

It's hard to knock him for the push on the Hillsborough stuff. But let's not forget he only did that because of the reaction at the memorial service, if that hadn't happened he wouldn't have done a thing. 

Like pretty much everything Hillsborough related, it was the families and the fans who fought the fight. Anyone with any level of power only took any notice because it was forced on them and no one would give up until they actually reacted. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The 'left' push is from Richard Burgon who is on maneuvers, which will ultimately be futile as he's a clown.

The 'right' want Reeves, or at a push Cooper.

Burnham has support from some influential MP's, including the 'Metropolitan Elite' made up of people who nominally identify from both sides, but who now make up a core of 'above it all' politicians who are looking to get rid of Starmer who has few people willing to fight for him.

The shouts for people like Burgon or Reeves are hilarious. Burgon couldn’t win the DL against ‘Ange’, the idea he is going to beat Johnson is ludicrous. He’s the Corbynite candidate though, it seems. That might well be the final nail in the coffin for Labour. It would surely have to split because the work against him would start really quickly. 

The the anti-particle version, Reeves, might be the only person I could think would be an even worse choice than Burgon. I mean, what the actual fuck has happened to the Labour Party. It seems like a reanimated corpse, with no leadership, no unity, no real ideas. And this is the best we can do to oppose the Tories in the UK. 

14 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

The shouts for people like Burgon or Reeves are hilarious. Burgon couldn’t win the DL against ‘Ange’, the idea he is going to beat Johnson is ludicrous. He’s the Corbynite candidate though, it seems. That might well be the final nail in the coffin for Labour. It would surely have to split because the work against him would start really quickly. 

The the anti-particle version, Reeves, might be the only person I could think would be an even worse choice than Burgon. I mean, what the actual fuck has happened to the Labour Party. It seems like a reanimated corpse, with no leadership, no unity, no real ideas. And this is the best we can do to oppose the Tories in the UK. 

Yeah, it's all a massive shit show, the things I've been hinting at, slightly tipsyly the other night are central to it.

The union farce and the attempt to circumvent existing rules and structures is beyond parody, but is being pursued with gusto.

The 'Metropolitan Elite' are a journalist with a whiteboard, an ear to the ground and the ability to piece a few things together from a Telegraph exposé which will bury several prominent careers.

Labour are a fucking joke from top to bottom at a time when we need an opposition to fight the worst incarnation of the tories, potentially, ever.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Ange and Andy seemed to form a little alliance after the Hartlepool result, plus a few others have mentioned Burnham as a potential leader, also Andy didn't deny he was interested in being Labour leader when Starmer was shielding from the arrows after the fall-out from Hartlepool.

30 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

It's hard to knock him for the push on the Hillsborough stuff. But let's not forget he only did that because of the reaction at the memorial service, if that hadn't happened he wouldn't have done a thing. 

Like pretty much everything Hillsborough related, it was the families and the fans who fought the fight. Anyone with any level of power only took any notice because it was forced on them and no one would give up until they actually reacted. 

I'd rather have Vic Reeves.

4 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He didn't do a worse job, he refused to accept 60% furlogh, which Rotherham jumped at.

One stood up and the gov eventually climed down, the other took the easy option.

Burnham did really well for Greater Manchester and the surrounding area and was punished by the tories for standing up to them, Rotherham took the first thing available.

You can debate which was more savvy long in to the night, but 'King Ov Norf' gets my vote.

Did they back down? It looked like a lot of posturing by Burnham to me.  Weren't the government offering a £60m support package? Burnham wanted £90m then he backed down to £65m?

Aside from that his record is not good as Mcr Mayor.  He speaks loudly, gets headlines, then disappears. Until something else high profile crops up and he reappears 

10 minutes ago, Moo said:

Did they back down? It looked like a lot of posturing by Burnham to me.  Weren't the government offering a £60m support package? Burnham wanted £90m then he backed down to £65m?

Aside from that his record is not good as Mcr Mayor.  He speaks loudly, gets headlines, then disappears. Until something else high profile crops up and he reappears 

A politician then .

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

They backed down when it looked like London would be effected and they knew they had to fire up the furlough scheme again.

They told him that’s all he was getting, pissing a lot of people off, including their own, in the process as he was acting as head of a union of leaders in negotiations.

Not sure on the day to day stuff as I’m not in that part of the world often, but when I am he’s spoken very highly of.

He’s been screwed since day one though and I think people see that. Started with Osbourne with NHS local/national funding and ended with the government attempting to slander him during the pandemic. 

4 hours ago, Chairman Meow said:

Is that true? You might well be right but I recall he was drowned out but was already there to pledge a fight anyway. 

I like Burnham, have done for a while. 

• Upvote 1

The right of the Labour party are a load of closet tories only interested in preservation of the current system, many with links to the Israeli lobby. 

The left of the Labour party are a load of do gooders only interested in transgenders and the latest right on fringe issues, might win Owen Jones vote but fuck all else.

The centre/sensible wing of the Labour party, who should be on the side of our nurses, firefighters, carpenters; care workers, small businesses, service workers etc are at the moment no where to be seen because the other two factions won't let the party give them the time. 

Got to embrace pr, got to pull candidates out of seats that can't be won, gotta attack ones that can be won,  gotta attack marginal tory seats, gotta start being the cunt.

I'm fucking hammered, these tories are fuckinv me off   

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The right of the Labour party are a load of closet tories only interested in preservation of the current system, many with links to the Israeli lobby. 

The left of the Labour party are a load of do gooders only interested in transgenders and the latest right on fringe issues, might win Owen Jones vote but fuck all else.

The centre/sensible wing of the Labour party, who should be on the side of our nurses, firefighters, carpenters; care workers, small businesses, service workers etc are at the moment no where to be seen because the other two factions won't let the party give them the time. 

Got to embrace pr, got to pull candidates out of seats that can't be won, gotta attack ones that can be won,  gotta attack marginal tory seats, gotta start being the cunt.

I'm fucking hammered, these tories are fuckinv me off   

Yeah, all this right, left, centre stuff is just a label to these people anyway. It’s factionalism to people who are happy to blow with the wind. It’ll be Tories for a lot, lot, lot longer yet. 

1 minute ago, A Red Tory Queg Cunt said:

Yeah, all this right, left, centre stuff is just a label to these people anyway. It’s factionalism to people who are happy to blow with the wind. It’ll be Tories for a lot, lot, lot longer yet. 

The left mob are miles away from the right mob, the left in the Labour party are worried about trans whilst the right are worried about semitism, meanwhile Britain burns.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

The left mob are miles away from the right mob, the left in the Labour party are worried about trans whilst the right are worried about semitism, meanwhile Britain burns.

I think it’s trends. Woke-ism certainly seems a trend on the left. It’s a free hit for the right, because it all seems like madness from to general folk. The Tories are just get a free run and have been since Brown and Blair fucked off. 

2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Aye , woke bastards stopping us getting the real Labour policies on immigration and social care under stalwarts like Harman. 

screen_shot_2015-03-28_at_17.57.50.png

Oh, they won’t be stopping or impacting policy in any way. They’re in the corner chirping like the rest of the defunct Labour Party, they haven’t been in a position to do a fucking thing since Brown. Doesn’t really matter what pretend policy is written on a bit of paper when it isn’t going to be enacted.