You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football Hipster Behaviour

Section_31

Reads Spielverlagerung

Do you read Spielverlagerung Hades?

EDIT: Sorry, I hadn't got to this page to see your question, just saw the neg.

In case its not been clear, I've been a bit self deprecating on this thread, and have read Spielverlagerung on occasion myself! It can be very insightful, although a bit heavy, but there is no doubt that it is required hipster reading material though.

Isn't this an inevitability of footballs appeal becoming broader and to a certain extent more middle class? In that people are looking for something that takes them away from the norms of the vast majority so they can feel unique.

I remember as a kid Rugby being far more vaunted in middle class circles (still is in the higher echelons) and football still being seen as some dreadful enterprise, only enjoyed by the mob/hooligans, now every middle management type has a team; Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

I find now that I have no immediate access to football on TV at home, that my support of Liverpool is a weird blend of highlights, podcasts, this forum, going to the game but virtually never watching them on TV outwith when I go back to see the auld man. This state of affairs also means that my only other source of football is Scottish premier league highlights (as provided by the BBC) and the occasional lower league game around London (normally involving Tranmere). Does that make me a hipster or just a poor cunt, I'm nae sure?

Anyone who says they're above the trivialities of football rivalry because they can appreciate the beauty of the game for it's own sake.

Anyone who doesn't feel at least some kind of rivalry is missing the point. May as well just all have the same fucking team then.

Used to know this lad in college, Scouser, Liverpool fan, dad was a Liverpool fan, used to say things like 'I do like watching 'United' though you've got to admit they play entertaining football'.

Yeah maybe I can come round your house and fuck your sister and you can watch that too. Heinrich Himmler could play the honky tonk piano but I wouldn't want to watch that either. You prized, man without a country fifth column Judas goat grade A cunt.

• Upvote 6

Nah, not having that, TK. Subbuteo was/is for old school footy geeks, who were/are miles better than these newfangled football hipster blerts.

Not having Subbuteo being a kid growing up in Australia was I'd say the thing that made me most envious about not being in England - even more so perhaps than not being able to go to actual Liverpool matches.

It seemed so exotic.  The grandstands and all the accoutrements.

• Upvote 1