You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Paradise Palms sounds suspiciously like a Blue Oyster type of establishment 

Not that I’m judging Mook. 

It's 'gay friendly' like half the city centre pubs up here.

Gay or straight, nae chance of me getting a ride anyway.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's 'gay friendly' like half the city centre pubs up here.

Gay or straight, nae chance of me getting a ride anyway.

When I was based up there it felt like every bar/pub was a strip club 

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

When I was based up there it felt like every bar/pub was a strip club 

There's only three now, the pubic triangle & the strippers recently won a court case against the council, who were trying to shut them down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to that An Evening With The Fast Show thing at the Phil on Easter Monday. 

They did bits that were them just sitting down and talking about their careers and how it all led up to The Fast Show being written. 

They mentioned how they’d done some early writing with the co-writers of Father Ted - Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews - at which point Paul Whitehouse interjected with “or, as we call them nowadays, Arthur. Just Arthur,” which the crowd seemed to find quite funny. 

• Upvote 1

The overview is not too long, people can read about the much needed (evidenced by the demand) expansion and improvement of treatment and service provision for themselves.

Rico has been a proven advocate for the provision of care to transgender people and does not have a track record of portraying them as liars, fantasists and predators at all. Internet points to the gasman. How the new car going? What range do you get?

https://cass.independent-review.uk/home/publications/final-report/

Will have a read of the full report later, looking forward to seeing what actual evidence says for a change.

dont normally comment on this subject, but I find it a bit odd why all these middle age men are utterly obsessed, because a person they dont know has decided to change gender, and it doesnt affect them in the slightest.. 

39 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Just taken the kids to see a transvestite sing silly songs whilst looking fabulous.

I don’t think they’re damaged yet, will keep you updated.

Take your time man, Rome wasn;t built in a day.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

dont normally comment on this subject, but I find it a bit odd why all these middle age men are utterly obsessed, because a person they dont know has decided to change gender, and it doesnt affect them in the slightest.. 

You ever been in a women's prison?

No, didn't think so.

Just reading over the findings and recommendations. The below stands out as a common sense. 

The rationale for early puberty suppression remains unclear, with weak evidence regarding the impact on gender dysphoria, mental or psychosocial health. The effect on cognitive and psychosexual development remains unknown.

The use of masculinising / feminising hormones in those under the age of 18 also presents many unknowns, despite their longstanding use in the adult transgender population. The lack of long-term follow-up data on those commencing treatment at an earlier age means we have inadequate information about the range of outcomes for this group.

Clinicians are unable to determine with any certainty which children and young people will go on to have an enduring trans identity.

For most young people, a medical pathway will not be the best way to manage their gender-related distress. For those young people for whom a medical pathway is clinically indicated, it is not enough to provide this without also addressing wider mental health and/or psychosocially challenging problems.

Children/ young people referred to NHS gender services must receive a holistic assessment of their needs to inform an individualised care plan. This should include screening for neurodevelopmental conditions, including autism spectrum disorder, and a mental health assessment.

Standard evidence based psychological and psychopharmacological treatment approaches should be used to support the management of the associated distress from gender incongruence and cooccurring conditions, including support for parents/carers and siblings as appropriate.

Obviously I've just cherry picked these before anyone accuses me of doing it. Full overviews can be found here. https://cass.independent-review.uk/home/publications/final-report/

This bit stood out as the prime reason people can't have a sensible debate about it though 

• The strengths and weaknesses of the evidence base on the care of children and young people are often misrepresented and overstated, both in scientific publications and societal debate.

Meaning that sadly, 

The controversy surrounding the use of medical treatments has taken focus away from what the individualised care and treatment is intended to achieve for individuals seeking support from NHS gender services. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Interesting passage from the foreword to the full report that I think echoes Paulie's point quite well:

"As well as hearing from those with lived experience, I have spoken to a very wide range of clinicians and academics. Clinicians who have spent many years working in gender clinics have drawn very different conclusions from their clinical experience about the best way to support young people with gender-related distress. Some feel strongly that a majority of those presenting to gender services will go on to have a long-term trans identity and should be supported to access a medical pathway at an early stage. Others feel that we are medicalising children and young people whose multiple other difficulties are manifesting through gender confusion and gender-related distress.

One thing unites all these people; they all believe passionately in what they have told me, and those with either parental or clinical responsibility for children and young people are trying their very best to do what they feel is the right thing to support them.

Despite the best intentions of everyone with a stake in this complex issue, the toxicity of the debate is exceptional. I have faced criticism for engaging with groups and individuals who take a social justice approach and advocate for gender affirmation, and have equally been criticised for involving groups and individuals who urge more caution. The knowledge and expertise of experienced clinicians who have reached different conclusions about the best approach to care are sometimes dismissed and invalidated."

• Upvote 2

How does this part sound when read slowly:

Children/ young people referred to NHS gender services must receive a holistic assessment of their needs to inform an individualised care plan. This should include screening for neurodevelopmental conditions, including autism spectrum disorder, and a mental health assessment.