You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

45 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

He's one of the few players who still has some fight in him when the team as a whole is falling apart. But like all the others, he strikes me as needing a refresher course in, well, how to be him. 

Yes, forwards like some predictability from their wide players, and his early crosses into the box often look dangerous, but far too often now they don't find anyone, because they're not trying to find anyone - they're just robotic crosses, even though there's clearly no forward who is going to get close to them.

Both Robbo and Trent would surely be more dangerous if just sometimes they'd actually run into the box and shoot. Just occasionally. We saw with Robbo the other day, he just cannot bring himself to have a shot these days. Trent is so hypnotised by what his crosses can do he's basically shut himself down as a player who will run in himself. It all just adds to the general predictability that's gripped this team.

This is my only gripe with Robbo. He CAN score goals with his feet but he is a jigsaw in the penalty area with the ball at his feet.

7 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

he just cannot bring himself to have a shot 

He is truly awful at it so most times it is probably the right choice.

Yeah, and he gets an opportunity or two most games which adds to the frustration - we all know what’ll happen when he swings his leg. Aside from that, he’s been a fantastic signing. 

He misses Mane and his aggression badly. You look at how meek we are now and realise just how much fight he brought to us. No team ever targeted our left hand side cos they knew we could deal with them and would destroy them when we got the ball back. 

Now he’s on his own defending a 50 yard space with 2 opponents filling it while getting no support and he’s still taking the fight to them. 

Still the best LB I’ve ever seen and should be up for the captaincy this summer. 

• Upvote 1

I love Robbo, but we shouldn’t confuse his eagerness and commitment with his ability to captain the team.

There’s no doubting he’s a 100%’er and it’s a really good point about how he and Mane complimented each other on the left side of the team, but while he still supplies killer crosses, his shooting is atrocious and always has been, and I wonder does he ever practise to improve this? 
Our shooting in general is fucking woeful and one of the reasons why we see so many good chances wasted.

Robbo isn’t the only one either. Alec Lindsay was a brilliant left full back, complimented by Chris Lawler on the right, both suppliers of good crosses, but equally as good at scoring goals when the opportunity arose.

2 hours ago, coachpotato said:

I love Robbo, but we shouldn’t confuse his eagerness and commitment with his ability to captain the team.

There’s no doubting he’s a 100%’er and it’s a really good point about how he and Mane complimented each other on the left side of the team, but while he still supplies killer crosses, his shooting is atrocious and always has been, and I wonder does he ever practise to improve this? 
Our shooting in general is fucking woeful and one of the reasons why we see so many good chances wasted.

Robbo isn’t the only one either. Alec Lindsay was a brilliant left full back, complimented by Chris Lawler on the right, both suppliers of good crosses, but equally as good at scoring goals when the opportunity arose.

Alec Lindsay was only a regular for around four seasons and never scored more than 4 league goals in any one of those seasons and had no goals in two of them.

4 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Shit explanation for why he couldn't be captain for the side. 

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Shit explanation for why he couldn't be captain for the side. 

Fair enough. I know he captains the Scotland side. I know he never gives less than 100% and he runs non-stop. Doesn’t necessarily make him Liverpool captain material in my opinion.

Although the way they’re all playing currently, not many are!

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Alec Lindsay was only a regular for around four seasons and never scored more than 4 league goals in any one of those seasons and had no goals in two of them.

Lindsay played for us from 69-77 and scored 12 goals. He scored 29 in his career.

Robbo currently has scored 7 for us and 18 in his career including 3 for Scotland.

Lindsay was in and out during the latter part of his career with us, and the bulk of his 12 were scored in those four seasons you mention.
Overall Robbo should have scored many more than he has and, given our attacking prowess and his advanced play (this season not included!) he should be ahead of Lindsay really.

If he were more calm and calculating in key moments, as I’d expect a captain to be, then he might have a better return goals wise?

I think he’s a great player mind.

5 hours ago, coachpotato said:

Fair enough. I know he captains the Scotland side. I know he never gives less than 100% and he runs non-stop. Doesn’t necessarily make him Liverpool captain material in my opinion.

Although the way they’re all playing currently, not many are!

For me he is one of perhaps 3 players that has held their own over the season so far (Bajcetic also, but he is way too young and inexperienced to be captain). Alisson and Milner being the other 2. When the going gets tough, you see who your real captains are. For me it should be between those 3. Of those I'd want Robbo as 1 and Milner as 2, but since Milner hopefully plays less next season, in my eyes it should be Robbo.

• Upvote 1

Robertson is almost completely one footed, and it means that almost every time he receives the ball, it will go backwards.  The only exceptions to this are when he is in a position and space to cross (and he is an excellent crosser of the ball on occasion), or when he has a lot of space to run into with the ball.  Even then though, if he gets closed down, he has to turn slightly and play it backwards with his left foot.  It's incredibly predictable and it  slows and stunts our attacking moves.  For me, you can't call a player top class these days if he can't play with both feet.  He is too often caught upfield, or caught out of position to be regarded as a top class defender.  

This doesn't mean I hate him @dave u  I admire his grit and determination, and his running.  He sets a good example to many in the team, and he's a crowd favourite.  .  I'm not sure he's better than Tsimikas though.

5 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Robertson is almost completely one footed, and it means that almost every time he receives the ball, it will go backwards.  The only exceptions to this are when he is in a position and space to cross (and he is an excellent crosser of the ball on occasion), or when he has a lot of space to run into with the ball.  Even then though, if he gets closed down, he has to turn slightly and play it backwards with his left foot.  It's incredibly predictable and it  slows and stunts our attacking moves.  For me, you can't call a player top class these days if he can't play with both feet.  He is too often caught upfield, or caught out of position to be regarded as a top class defender.  

This doesn't mean I hate him @dave u  I admire his grit and determination, and his running.  He sets a good example to many in the team, and he's a crowd favourite.  .  I'm not sure he's better than Tsimikas though.

He is the defender with the most ever assists in the Premier League. I’d love more of these players that slows and stuns our attacking moves this way.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64098407

• Upvote 2

Thinking about 60 years of watching Liverpool left-backs and Robertson is the best of them all. Left back has always been the position where I felt we've been a bit weak, that our player was never the best in that position in the league. There's been some good players, obviously; Alan Kennedy, Steve Nichol, Riise but even their greatest admirers would have difficulty making the case that they were the best left back in the league. And then, of course there's the absolute dregs like Dicks and Konchesky, names guaranteed to send a shiver down anyone's spine. But for most of his time, Robbo has been the best left-back in the league and an absolutely integral part of our successes both in the past and to come.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frank Dacey said:

Thinking about 60 years of watching Liverpool left-backs and Robertson is the best of them all. Left back has always been the position where I felt we've been a bit weak, that our player was never the best in that position in the league. There's been some good players, obviously; Alan Kennedy, Steve Nichol, Riise but even their greatest admirers would have difficulty making the case that they were the best left back in the league. And then, of course there's the absolute dregs like Dicks and Konchesky, names guaranteed to send a shiver down anyone's spine. But for most of his time, Robbo has been the best left-back in the league and an absolutely integral part of our successes both in the past and to come.

I totally disagree re Steve Nicol,he had everything. He was primarily a good defender but could score goals and had pace. Alongside being two footed and able to play in almost every position on the pitch. He was the best player but I admit that there is an argument over who fits in the best in their team.

• Upvote 2

I think he's definitely up there.  Kennedy was a great player, and probably the closest to Robertson in his all round game.  Lindsay was more of a craftsman with his left foot, but he was a fat get who couldn't keep the weight off which meant he didn't play as much as he should have.  Riise was a great player on his day, but I think it's fair to say that we've been more blessed with right backs - from Lawler, to Neil, to Babbel, Jones etc.  

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I totally disagree re Steve Nicol,he had everything. He was primarily a good defender but could score goals and had pace. Alongside being two footed and able to play in almost every position on the pitch. He was the best player but I admit that there is an argument over who fits in the best in their team.

Steve Nicol was a much better all round footballer, but his versatility meant that he played both fb roles, as a cb, and in midfield, including a forward wide midfield role, and he probably isn't regarded as a left back, though he did a pretty good job when he was asked to play there.

Best LB I've seen since my boyhood hero, Gerry Byrne. Overshadowed at the time by Ray Wilson, a Ramsey favorite, but he was one of the first fullbacks to be an attacking asset. Rated by his team mates as even harder than Tommy Smith (I'm not one to argue with Shankly or Big Ron on that).

Robbos partnership with Mane on the left was brilliant and was building another with Diaz. He doesn't seem to have done as well with Nunez though.

13 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Steve Nicol was a much better all round footballer, but his versatility meant that he played both fb roles, as a cb, and in midfield, including a forward wide midfield role, and he probably isn't regarded as a left back, though he did a pretty good job when he was asked to play there.

Yeah,that's my overall point. Too good for his own good.