You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Andrew Robertson

cuppatea

12 hours ago, razor said:

I love this player.  I am so happy we bought him.  He's not only a great player, but he is clearly a big personality around the club.

However, I am still angry with him for the Brighton equaliser.  Well not just for the equaliser, but for the fact that as a professional footballer, he is still not able to kick the ball with his weaker foot.

The momentary lapse is forgivable - and what we get in the "asset" column far outweighs this moment - but it's an issue that needs discussion.

In 2008 we had another left-footed player who refused to kick the ball with his weaker foot.  In my opinion, it is the reason that we ended up getting knocked out of the Champions League in the semi-final, when Riise led with his head, instead of his weaker foot, to clear a ball which was coming onto his right side.  It resulted in a 94th minute own goal against Chelsea, and the rest is history.

On Saturday, the ball was coming onto Robertson's right side, yet he instinctively turned his body to face the goal in order to try to clear with his left.  He couldn't adjust in time and looked foolish.

This is just symptomatic of his unwillingness to play with two feet.

What annoys me is how much it limits not just him, but the WHOLE TEAM's play.

When the ball is on Robbo's left, he can play the whole pitch.  When it is on his right side, he has to turn his whole body in field in order to play the ball with his left.

It is incredible that it has got this far.

I think one of the reasons is that he is LEFT footed.  It is much rarer that a one-footed player is right footed.  When they were kids, right footed players are coached to build up their left.  It seems it may be less so for left-footed players as they are a much rarer commodity?

Anyway, such is my deep dissatisfaction with this state of affairs, that I bore anyone I watch a game with pointing it out.  It happens every game.  Robbo will be highly reluctant to play a 10 yard pass with his right foot (he has done it in his career, but it is incredibly rare, and he can go whole matches without touching the ball with his right foot!  Instead he will just turn inside and pass it back, or at best square, with his left).

I will hand it to Kostas - he does sometimes use his right.

And, further, such is my dissatisfaction with this state of affairs that I have taken the time to illustrate my point through imagery. (Forgive the Arsenal kit - the website I used was as limiting as Robbo's lack of ambidextrousness....)

image.png

This is what happens to the pitch when the ball is to the right of Robbo, say half a yard to his right.  It may be he received it there, intercepted it there or tackled and it fell there.  But because of his reluctance to use his right foot, he turns his whole body in field, and can only pass into the lighted areas.

image.png

If Robbo would use his right foot when the ball is to his right side, this is how much of the pitch he could use.

I can't help but think how much this limits our whole team.

He has energy to burn and a great attitude, and this makes up for many shortfalls.

But, I'll be honest, this really isn't good enough.  People who coach kids know about removing a boot so the kid HAS to play a pass with their weaker foot, and soon builds up confidence.

Honestly, if I was Jurgen, I would be really honest with Robbo and say this has to improve.  It is costing the whole team.

It didn't do Diego much harm. We dont want Robbo sniffing the white lines though.

41 minutes ago, No2 said:

City and Arsenal both use 3 CB's in their hybrid systems. If Robbo is out for awhile its not necessarily only Kostas that will be a replacement option. 

Agree. Could just as well be Gomez, Quansah or even Matip to replace Robbo, assuming that Konate and Van Dijk are first choice. Most likely Gomez imo as the preferred option, but a number of different combinations is possible if we go for three CBs. 

Tsimikas may well be the most likely choice, but I reckon we have plenty of options. 

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Agree. Could just as well be Gomez, Quansah or even Matip to replace Robbo, assuming that Konate and Van Dijk are first choice. Most likely Gomez imo as the preferred option, but a number of different combinations is possible if we go for three CBs. 

Tsimikas may well be the most likely choice, but I reckon we have plenty of options. 

Gomez can deffo play LB and you'd think he'd be ok at it in our current tactical set up.

53 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Steve Clarke seems hopeful that he'll be back in time for them in November.

If its a dislocated shoulder how long will he be out for?

6-8 weeks would be about the range if no surgery.

If surgery - longer and a good bit longer.

James Pearce is reporting it is a dislocation.

Joao palihno did his shoulder on 23rd July and was back 4 weeks later and came off the bench for their first league game on 19th August.

That was pretty quick but i remember at the time, everyone thought it was going to be a 3 monther!

Let hope he's back for City end of November. Fuck getting him ready for Scotland

1 hour ago, an tha said:

6-8 weeks would be about the range if no surgery.

If surgery - longer and a good bit longer.

James Pearce is reporting it is a dislocation.

Footballers are soft, I tell ya. I played rugby for a long time and more than a few times saw a player with a disclocated shoulder have it popped it back in and keep playing.

(actually, I did mine once and it freaking hurt and I didn't play for a few weeks, but thats another story)

12 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

The Scouse Greek getting a run now....shudder. 

Scotland need to turn it in. The San Marino of the UK injuring world class footballers 

His amateur dramatics that allowed Leicester to go on and score against us in the League Cup should have seen him hounded out for good!