You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

My favourite anti-us shout is "Analfield" which is patter from the Bloos quite a bit.  It's clever because it's not even a pun, doesn't sound anything like "Anfield" and has no basis other than that the term anal is rude. 

Well, it can be hard to squeeze in on match days, but once you're inside it feels great.

Looks like PSG are having trouble getting the neymar deal over the line. Buy out cheque taken to la liga today but rejected by the league as they consider it 'financial doping.'

This could turn out to be a defining transfer in more ways than one.

I guess bail-outs by Spanish banks and local government are not considered to be financial doping by the people running La Liga. The Neymar case is clearly not the same as Real Madrid's newly-installed president flogging the club's training ground to the local authority of Madrid for a massively overinflated sum - and one that had no inflationary effect on property values nearby funnily enough - and using some of the proceeds to meet the buyout amount in Luis Figo's Barcelona contract. If it benefits Real Madrid or Barcelona, they're prepared to let anything go.

Along with the removal of third-party ownership and banning the transfers of minors, it is in football's best interests to prohibit the inclusion of buyout clauses in players' contracts.

I'm not sure how transfers work in Spain. Doesn't the buying club pay the money to the selling club? And if there's something fishy, isn't it up to UEFA to sort out? I don't understand the jurisdiction and why La Liga involved?

From the limited knowledge I have of FFP, clubs must not exceed €30M losses over a period of three years. For the sake of argument, let's imagine PSG are breaking even right now, but buying Neymar puts them in a big hole in terms of FFP. Well, don't they have three years to clear the slate? Presumably they are thinking that signing Neymar will ultimately boost their revenue, such that they will stay within FFP parameters?

If they don't make it, then UEFA gets involved and appropriate censure then happens (stop laughing!)

I'm not sure how transfers work in Spain. Doesn't the buying club pay the money to the selling club? And if there's something fishy, isn't it up to UEFA to sort out? I don't understand the jurisdiction and why La Liga involved?

In Spain the payment is to La Liga first. They then transfer it to the club.

• Upvote 1

In Spain the payment is to La Liga first. They then transfer it to the club.

This is how it works (according to the BBC)

The biggest difference between Spanish buyout clauses and release clauses more common in other big leagues around the world is the manner in which they must be triggered.

Rather than the buying club merely paying the selling club the amount set by the contract, the player himself must buy himself out.

This is done by depositing the amount of the buyout clause with La Liga to release the player from his contract. La Liga then pass the money onto the selling club.

Normally this will require the buying club to pay the player the sum of the buyout clause up front.

• Upvote 1

PS - the La Liga involvement strikes me as an effort to preserve the status quo, ensuring Barcelona maintain their place at, or very near to, the top in the pecking order.

I'm not altogether sure what I think about the Neymar deal, but I will say that football has long since been a dog eat dog world. It strikes me as disingenuous for a club to enjoy its big dog status, and all that comes with the territory, only to then complain when another big dog has a go at them.

Perhaps this should go over to the dangerous dog thread on the GF!

Qatar paid him to be an ambassador - that is allegedly for services outside of playing any footy.

He then used that money to buy out his contract - he is signing to PSG on a free - they are paying his wages.

Ah I see - so, I was right yesterday - he is a marking tool for Qatar and 2022?