You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bournemouth (A) - 1:30pm, 04/12/16 - Get the Cherries pitted.

Trumo

Would I be out of order in saying that while Henderson is a good player he isn't captain material.

Don't get me wrong I am in no way blaming him for today but could we do with buying a top quality midfielder to dictate play from midfield or do you think Henderson has what it takes?

Just finished watching that. It's too easy to go through the team and point out all the mistakes and so on. They can do that themselves when they review it. The main point I want to make is this:

We are a different team without Matip. The unit fell apart without his calm leadership back there. There was no one with the authority to stand tall and make sure that the two goal lead stayed intact. I would go so far as to say Matip is the biggest loss of any current player for us. He makes that much difference to the team.

As for the rest of them, they let us down. We were two goals ahead, twice. It was like watching the Keystone Cops, or at least the 3-3 game against Crystal Palace. No composure whatsoever. No leader to put their foot on the ball and make sure we went home with the three points that were in our grasp.

A bitterly disappointing day, because we were all starting to believe that the side had grown a spine and these sort of lapses were behind us. We laid an egg today. No two ways about that. It's too easy to rip into most of the players on that pitch today after that, but the question is:

How will we respond?

• Upvote 1

What concerns me is if Bournemouth can do that to us who else can, most of the league I'd say with Lovren and Lucas at the back. Klavan isn't good enough, he started solidly enough but has gone downhill rapidly. Grujic doesn't seem anywherr near ready yet. And as for Karius, oh dear, another one on Klopp I'm afraid.

The positive I'm taking is this defeat might get a good reaction that will stand us in good stead over the run up to and including Xmas. With the fixtures we've had we're still in a brilliant position.

Just finished watching that. It's too easy to go through the team and point out all the mistakes and so on. They can do that themselves when they review it. The main point I want to make is this:

We are a different team without Matip. The unit fell apart without his calm leadership back there. There was no one with the authority to stand tall and make sure that the two goal lead stayed intact. I would go so far as to say Matip is the biggest loss of any current player for us. He makes that much difference to the team.

As for the rest of them, they let us down. We were two goals ahead, twice. It was like watching the Keystone Cops, or at least the 3-3 game against Crystal Palace. No composure whatsoever. No leader to put their foot on the ball and make sure we went home with the three points that were in our grasp.

A bitterly disappointing day, because we were all starting to believe that the side had grown a spine and these sort of lapses were behind us. We laid an egg today. No two ways about that. It's too easy to rip into most of the players on that pitch today after that, but the question is:

How will we respond?

manager has to intervene when he can see we're all over the place. Having seen what happened when it went 2-1 when we went 3-1, 3-2 or at the latest 3-3 he has to get Klavan on and push Lucas into midfield to get something from the game.

players made a balls of it but manager can do something about it before its too late.

Klavan was such a dreadful signing. Klopp was saying how good and underrated he was when we signed him and then he picks a defensive midfielder instead of him. What was even the point?

We'd no money and he took a gamble to boost our defensive ranks, nothing more nothing less.   A club our size shouldn't be in that position.

What Im say is, lots of people are talking about 4th and qualifying for the CL because we lost today. No wonder we get nowhere near winning the title if people see purely qualifying for the CL as the season's target.

Yeah, its a real pisser to get close to the title and lose. I think its a bigger pisser to just aim for CL qualification every season. I cant speak for others but Id rather go gung ho for the title and fail rather than going for the safe option of CL qualification.

Aim for 4th and dont be surprised in a competitive league when you finish 5th, 6th or 7th.

i get what you are saying and i am sure the team aim to win every game and indeed the league...sadly the club clearly don't...if they did we wouldn't have lucas as first cover at centre half, still be carrying passengers like sturridge and have a paper thin squad - buying likes of klavan and turning a profit in summer on transfers

with what we have 4th would actually be some effort...it shouldn't be.

Guest Pistonbroke

i get what you are saying and i am sure the team aim to win every game and indeed the league...sadly the club clearly don't...if they did we wouldn't have lucas as first cover at centre half, still be carrying passengers like sturridge and have a paper thin squad - buying likes of klavan and turning a profit in summer on transfers

with what we have 4th would actually be some effort...it shouldn't be.

Spot on. I doubt certain Words coming from Klopp about not needing players, might buy one but sell another etc etc are straight from the FSG penny pinching make a buck book. We have owners who are trying to get the best out of a very good manager for the least amount of lay out. The next two windows will show us if that is how they intend to carry on or not. 

I was in work last night and finished at 7 got up at 12 and watched the match.

When we were 3-1 up I started to nod off so missed the game from there apart from being woke up when they scored.

In retrospect I think I may have missed the point completely that we scored 3 yet still got beat.

My previous post was a load of bollocks.

Was saying at half time how impressive we were doing, despite being a bit complacent for the last 5 or so minutes in that half that we were dominating the match without Matip, Lallana, Coutinho and Sturridge.  

I was thinking how many other teams could do as well as we were doing at that stage without three key players (plus Sturridge).  Take Hazard, Costa and Luiz out of Chelsea and I don't think they'd look the same animal for example.  But until that second half, we did.

But then again after seeing us leading 1-3, there is no chance Chelsea would let the match slip from that situation and that is ultimately why they will probably win the league as their defence is such much superior to the other teams in this league and certainly ours.  

Matip was obviously a big loss.  I think we all feared Karius was going to have a game like this sooner or later as he's had very little to do in most games and bar the end of the Sunderland one, the little he has had to do - he's not been convincing.  I'd stick persist with him, as I think Mignolet has the same flaws, if not more (as he's got poor distribution as well) and we've seen three years of him.  But if he's still struggling massively in January then we really have to think hard about signing a new GK don't we?  A reliable one.  One that actually makes saves, can catch and not be a liability.

Lovren and Milner between them made a complete mess for the penalty we gave away.  Let's not forget Bournemouth probably should have had another penalty in the first half.  Don't know how their CB had so much time to control, turn and shoot for one of their goals - that was poor how he had so much time and space.

I see people blaming the midfield.  I'm going to go full TK here, I thought the midfield were fine and not the problem for the most part.  Apart from the last goal, when their player had far too much time to shoot before Karius fucked it up.  I think the midfield did well.  They weren't quite as dominant as they have been for most of the season, but they were still easily on top for the majority of the game.  There weren't to blame for the giving away of the penalty or dealing with the cross in the box.  It's easy to pick on the midfield, but ultimately they have been very successful this season and I don't think they were the issue today really.

Origi didn't have a great game.  Then again he scored another goal, a really good one and that's three in three.  Strikers aren't always at their best - but they do one or two moments of brilliance and he did that.  He can play better, I think Mane, Firmino and most players on the pitch can.  But the attack still scored three goals, probably should have had more with the Origi miss in the first half as well.  Players are not going to play well every game, but we still scored three goals which should be enough.  That's why the fingers should be pointed at the GK and our fail to deal with crosses without Matip, once again.

Klopp has only had just over a year in the job.  He's had one transfer window where he has bought players.  Things are not going to be perfect, especially when we are missing some key players.  We will have some bumpy moments.  But we're still very much in the mix.  We lost to Burnley earlier in the season (bizarrely the other game Matip missed) and then we went on a run.  We need to forget this performance, get back to winning ways and our fans need to continuing backing them and believing in them.  Forget the doubts, we're still very much in this title race and OK we might fall short we have to be positive in how we are progressing under Klopp.

One step backwards today, that's all.  A battle lost.  But we've taken so many steps forward this season and we can still win the war!  These things happen in a season, it will happen to every team.  It's how we react as a team and fans that's important.

• Upvote 1

manager has to intervene when he can see we're all over the place. Having seen what happened when it went 2-1 when we went 3-1, 3-2 or at the latest 3-3 he has to get Klavan on and push Lucas into midfield to get something from the game.

players made a balls of it but manager can do something about it before its too late.

That's fair mate. I love Klopp, like we all do, but the one criticism I would have is that sometimes he's slow with the subs.

Klavan was a dreadful signing. Klopp was saying how good and underrated he was when we signed him and then he picks a defensive midfielder instead of him. What was even the point?

Bar Burnley I think Klavan has done well.  He's 3rd or 4th choice and he's been decent as back up IMO.

Lucas has done very well for us at CB when used.  MOTM vs Man City in the League Cup Final, many of other good performances.  Bizarrely it has been in possession of the ball that has been the few times he's struggled as he has wanted too much time on the ball and lost it a few times and he did that gift to Vardy.

But his reading or the game, tackling and heading ability has been very good.  It should be also noted that although it is easy to pick on the midfielder playing at CB, he was better than Lovren today.

Just frustrating at the lack of game management, we're 3-1 with 14 minutes to go and the home side are on top going for it. Hold your formation, be compact, make them play in front of you and close them down, keep bodies behind the ball and see it out. If Bournemouth are still good enough to play it through us then fair enough. 

The ensuing chaos and lack of composure was just very disappointing to see yet again. Lack of leadership on the pitch is a serious issue here.

At no point did I feel we had this under control and in truth it's an uneasy feeling I experience most of the time I watch us now even when we're ahead and playing well. 

It's been like this for several seasons, even during 2013/14, I'm not even sure I enjoy watching us, it's often with my hands over my eyes.

• Upvote 1

All about opinions of course, but even in hindsight that sounds like a horrible suggestion.

Team has no balls when up against it.

But we're basing that one one game this season aren't we?

When Arsenal threatened to come back against us on the opening day, we showed character to hold on to the result.  Showed character to come back from going behind in the first place.

When we were 0-2 up against Chelsea and they scored, against we were up against it but we kept the ball and help that game out as well.

Against West Brom at home, again 2-0 up, they score in the 80th minute and you think we're up against it, but we get the win.

2-2 against Palace away.  We show nerve and go on to win 2-4. 

Spurs in the League cup.  We're 2-0 up, they score in the 75th minute and again we hold on, when it could have been nervy.

Every other game this season we have won convincingly bar Burnley where we lost.  That game we had 80% possession away from home, we made couple of mistakes which they punished.

So really it has happened once this season, where we have folded when we have been up against it.

Yes in the past we have, but given half this team is new this season - not sure it is fair for them to be blamed for those previous performances years ago.

It was one game, without a few of our best players, certainly our best CB.  We just need to respond, I don't think you can say we have folded other times this season when "up against it".

• Upvote 1

The pattern this season has been that we've shown a lot more resolve. Displays like today are thankfully becoming rare. It still hurts, because the three points were in our grasp and we threw it away. But on reflection, what we saw today was the anomaly, not the 'same old Liverpool' some would have us believe.

We are good. Not perfect, but we are good. We will use this to dig deep and go on another run.

The pattern this season has been that we've shown a lot more resolve. Displays like today are thankfully becoming rare. It still hurts, because the three points were in our grasp and we threw it away. But on reflection, what we saw today was the anomaly, not the 'same old Liverpool' some would have us believe.

We are good. Not perfect, but we are good. We will use this to dig deep and go on another run.

Wish had your belief.

The player who makes us tick is fucked, our most direct, pacy and powerful attacker the one who gives us something none of our other attackers do is fucking off to Africa for a month soon, we have a keeper who everyone will be targeting and our squad looks paper thin.

we also have some horrible games coming up.

middlesbrough away is a ground we never do well at...the derby at goodison will be hard....city are coming and tv have fucked us over with two games in less than 48 hrs over new year (fuck knows what we will line up like in 2nd of them)..

I'd love to be wrong but i reckon we could be in trouble over next month or so.

Might be the sting of today talking but to me today was a hammer blow and one we will suffer a hangover from...

The player who makes us tick is fucked

Scored three and should have had more (Origi's miss in the first half) without him today.

I'd say we ticked quite well attacking-wise.

Wish had your belief.

The player who makes us tick is fucked, our most direct, pacy and powerful attacker the one who gives us something none of our other attackers do is fucking off to Africa for a month soon, we have a keeper who everyone will be targeting and our squad looks paper thin.

we also have some horrible games coming up.

middlesbrough away is a ground we never do well at...the derby at goodison will be hard....city are coming and tv have fucked us over with two games in less than 48 hrs over new year (fuck knows what we will line up like in 2nd of them)..

I'd love to be wrong but i reckon we could be in trouble over next month or so.

Might be the sting of today talking but to me today was a hammer blow and one we will suffer a hangover from...

Jeez mate, we've gone from title talk to this doom and gloom in a day. We had a bad day, but a bit of fucking perspective.

• Upvote 4