You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2016

aRdja

Another good shout,along with Stindl.

The Bundesliga is almost untapped.

Stindl has impressed me this season. I fully expected him to come in and replace Kramer in Cm but he's playing more as a number 10 behind Raffael and has had a very good season

If we are going to sign anyone from Gladbach. I wouldn't mind Xhaka or Dahoud. Dahoud is going to be some player in the future, Xhaka would piss on all our CMs and would be ideal for the way Klopp would want to play

If we want to upgrade on Moreno, we should be all over Hector. I was amazed Chelsea didn't go in for him in the summer compared to Baba

Stindl has impressed me this season. I fully expected him to come in and replace Kramer in Cm but he's playing more as a number 10 behind Raffael and has had a very good season

If we are going to sign anyone from Gladbach. I wouldn't mind Xhaka or Dahoud. Dahoud is going to be some player in the future, Xhaka would piss on all our CMs and would be ideal for the way Klopp would want to play

If we want to upgrade on Moreno, we should be all over Hector. I was amazed Chelsea didn't go in for him in the summer compared to Baba

Xhaka currently has a ligament problem.

This means we will be all over him and he would have a nice warm seat on the treatment table.

Yann Sommer,the GK,is another worth considering if hes available.

Is Stindl the new Marek Mintal?

You can't be scared of taking a gamble on the basis of (almost) getting burned a couple of times before.

You might have to get used to us shopping in low places, because a lot of Klopp's great work came from doing business like-

Lewandowski - Lech Poznan

Kagawa - Cerezo Osaka

Piszczek - Hertha Berlin

Perisic - Club Brugge

Gundogan - FC Nurnberg

Reus - Borussia Monchengladbach

Bittencourt - Energie Cottbus

Mkhitaryan - Shakhtar Donetsk

Aubameyang - St Etienne

Ginter - SC Freiburg

Subotic - Mainz

S Bender - 1860 München

Schmelzer - FC Magdeburg

Hoffman - 1899 Hoffenheim

Stindl is a lot older now than all those players were when they joined Dortmund. I don't doubt that he is doing well right now, but he's at his peak and won't get any better, plus he lacks experience of competing for trophies and coping with a schedule of domestic, European and even international matches. We need players with aspects the squad is lacking rather than more of the same.

The more gems Klopp plucks from obscurity for a pittance the better. Wether he spots them or not as long as they end up here and are good and good value for money. An arl arse keeper, cb and dm would do for starters.

I think we just need gems, full stop. I don't give a fuck how much they cost as long as they are (whisper it) good.

I don't believe for one minute that a transfer committee supercedes a manager, on the whole.

Sure, there will be times when the two collide. It might be a player that the manager really fancies but the committee don't see the merit in, for example Ashley Williams for £10m...but doesn't that show everything that's sensible about a committee?

The transfer committee are there to be convinced, and if a manager can't convince them to change their minds on a player then it's probably very, very likely there's good reason for it.

There will also be occasions where a committee feel they've found a gem but the manager disagrees. I think we can all cite Assaidi, Illori, Alberto, Texeiera, Yesil, Aspas, Can, Markovic, Origi, as good (or bad) examples of when that's happened. But all these gambles have inherent sell-on value tp the club compared with Rodgers' acquisitions such as Borini, Allen, Lovren, Balotelli, etc.

We made a profit on Aspas, we made a profit on Assaidi, and you can see many of those players being sold for more than they cost, with the exception of Markovic (at present).

I can't see the transfer committee having a problem with Klopp's targets, and if they did, Klopp can win anyone around with a hug and a wink. No, he's going to have full say on transfers, you can count on that.

Xhaka currently has a ligament problem.

This means we will be all over him and he would have a nice warm seat on the treatment table.

Yann Sommer,the GK,is another worth considering if hes available.

It's not a long term issue with Xhaka. He's just being rested for the Swiss games due to it being friendlies and will miss the Hannover game due to suspension. Fully expect him to be back for the game afterwards

Sommer is a great keeper. I'm followed Gladbach closely for 18 months or so and he's been one of their key players

I don't believe for one minute that a transfer committee supercedes a manager, on the whole.

Sure, there will be times when the two collide. It might be a player that the manager really fancies but the committee don't see the merit in, for example Ashley Williams for £10m...but doesn't that show everything that's sensible about a committee?

The transfer committee are there to be convinced, and if a manager can't convince them to change their minds on a player then it's probably very, very likely there's good reason for it.

There will also be occasions where a committee feel they've found a gem but the manager disagrees. I think we can all cite Assaidi, Illori, Alberto, Texeiera, Yesil, Aspas, Can, Markovic, Origi, as good (or bad) examples of when that's happened. But all these gambles have inherent sell-on value tp the club compared with Rodgers' acquisitions such as Borini, Allen, Lovren, Balotelli, etc.

We made a profit on Aspas, we made a profit on Assaidi, and you can see many of those players being sold for more than they cost, with the exception of Markovic (at present).

I can't see the transfer committee having a problem with Klopp's targets, and if they did, Klopp can win anyone around with a hug and a wink. No, he's going to have full say on transfers, you can count on that.

He worked under a director of football at Dortmund whose job it was to identify and sign players. Arguably their signings got worse as Klopp's influence at the club rose, with his last season there being a disaster, transfer-wise. He should have the final word on transfers and hopefully won't butt heads with the committee the way Rodgers did but they're still going to have a massive input on our signings.

For what it's worth, I don't think we've been much/any worse than the clubs above us in terms of transfers; our fans just expect us to do far more with far less. It would take a staggering level of incompetence from clubs like United and City for them to assemble inferior squads to us when they have double our resources and virtually every player on the planet would rather go there than here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For what it's worth, I don't think we've been much/any worse than the clubs above us in terms of transfers; our fans just expect us to do far more with far less. It would take a staggering level of incompetence from clubs like United and City for them to assemble inferior squads to us when they have double our resources and virtually every player on the planet would rather go there than here.

This is just bullshit through and through.

You have 20m to spend on a defender. We spend it on Lovren.

You have 20m to spend on an attacking midfielder. We spend it on Markovich.

You have 25m (25m!) to spend on another AM. We spend it on Lallana.

You have 20m to spend on a winger. We spend it on Stewart fucking Downing.

You have 32.5m to spend on a striker...

And so fucking on.

• Upvote 6

He worked under a director of football at Dortmund whose job it was to identify and sign players. Arguably their signings got worse as Klopp's influence at the club rose, with his last season there being a disaster, transfer-wise.

You could argue that, and Immobile and Kampl seem to spring to mind. That said, even in his final season he brought in some players who are now playing out of their skin in a Dortmund team that is approaching unreal levels of football. Kagawa's been sensational this year, as has Ginter, and the player who Klopp got shit from signing the year previous,. Aubemayang, has been one of the best strikers in Europe.

But of course he'll make mistakes in the transfer market, and every top manager does it.

Lest we forget, he wasn't sacked from Dortmund. They wanted him to stay, and Bayern's top brass wanted him in.

• Upvote 2

This is just bullshit through and through. You have 20m to spend on a defender. We spend it on Lovren. You have 20m to spend on an attacking midfielder. We spend it on Markovich. You have 25m (25m!) to spend on another AM. We spend it on Lallana. You have 20m to spend on a winger. We spend it on Stewart fucking Downing. You have 32.5m to spend on a striker... And so fucking on.

The main reason we sign these sort of players though is because they are on low(by todays premier league standards) wages.

None of the players you have mentioned were on or were put on contacts of more than £100k a week. I think I am right in saying that Milner is the only new player in the FSG era that we have signed and offered a contact over £100k a week.

FSG have made it clear they will spend big on fees or wages, but not both. Stupidly this has been done with the idea of 'getting value' but more often than not this way of business involves taking bit hits on the players when they predictably flop. Carroll and Downing for instance were sold for a combined total of less than half what we paid for them.

They can try and disguise it any way they like but the owners haven't made one big signing since they took over.  

This is just bullshit through and through. You have 20m to spend on a defender. We spend it on Lovren. You have 20m to spend on an attacking midfielder. We spend it on Markovich. You have 25m (25m!) to spend on another AM. We spend it on Lallana. You have 20m to spend on a winger. We spend it on Stewart fucking Downing. You have 32.5m to spend on a striker... And so fucking on.

That just reinforces my point, really. We spend £20m on a position and there's a sense of bewilderment and outrage that it isn't then sorted for the forseeable future. Here's Man City's spending on strikers since the Mansour takeover:

Jo £18m

Robinho £32.5m

Santa Cruz £17.5m

Adebayor £25m

Tevez £25.5m

Balotelli £24.5m

Dzeko £27m

Aguero £38m

Jovetic £25.8m

Negredo £20.6m

Bony £28m

Total: £282.4m

This is a club with all of the money in the world to spend on fees, wages and scouting and yet the only one on that list who wasn't sold at a loss after a few years (besides Bony, who almost certainly will be) is Aguero, who cost more than we've ever spent on a player, is on higher wages than we've ever given to a player and whose status in the game is such that he was and is completely out of our reach, even if we somehow could afford him.

At the top of the Premier League, £20m is a speculative punt; the kind you will take 4 or 5 times and be happy if one of them works out for you. Anyone who thinks that going forward every £20m signing we make is going to be a massive hit is living in a dream land. If it was that easy, the 4 clubs in the league who have far greater resources than us would be hoovering them up, rather than spending £30m on squad players, £40-50m on elite teenagers and £60m on proven top class (which still doesn't guarantee success - see Di Maria at Man United).

• Upvote 1

This is a club with all of the money in the world to spend on fees, wages and scouting and yet the only one on that list who wasn't sold at a loss after a few years (besides Bony, who almost certainly will be) is Aguero, who cost more than we've ever spent on a player, is on higher wages than we've ever given to a player and whose status in the game is such that he was and is completely out of our reach, even if we somehow could afford him.

At the top of the Premier League, £20m is a speculative punt; the kind you will take 4 or 5 times and be happy if one of them works out for you. Anyone who thinks that going forward every £20m signing we make is going to be a massive hit is living in a dream land. If it was that easy, the 4 clubs in the league who have far greater resources than us would be hoovering them up, rather than spending £30m on squad players, £40-50m on elite teenagers and £60m on proven top class (which still doesn't guarantee success - see Di Maria at Man United).

They sold Negredo for more money than they bought him for.