You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

He'd be much better in the Wijnaldum role for me, and probably create more than Gini does in that position too. I don't really know why Klopp has persisted with him as the deeper player, as he's not great at reading the play or dictating the play. He's good at bombing around, pressing and the occasional through ball. If we had an Alonso or Hamann type sat deeper and Hendo as a box to box player I think it would be better for the team and him.

I think the box to box role was exactly how it was imagined Henderson would play once established here but our lack of midfield quality has forced a square peg into a round hole by him playing more as a DM,but not a genuine one. I suppose Klopp is trying to prioritise signings knowing he'll never get all his signings in one go.

• Upvote 1

I think the box to box role was exactly how it was imagined Henderson would play once established here but our lack of midfield quality has forced a square peg into a round hole by him playing more as a DM,but not a genuine one. I suppose Klopp is trying to prioritise signings knowing he'll never get all his signings in one go.

Yeah, it definitely reeks of making the best of a bad job

Henderson is a skillful footballer that has all the tools except the one between the ears, 

Great passing ability, stamina and capable of stunning strikes as we saw at the Emirates last season, He seems to me to lack confidence in himself as a leader and as a player that can change games. We get an endless diet of square passes and safe options, You see him on the ball sometimes and he almost looks paralysed with indecision . Keep hoping a spark will light his fire but can't see it happening now, 

• Upvote 1

Just did a bit of whoscored research, Henderson is way down the list of CMs who get dispossessed most often per game... Sanches, Pogba, Puncheon, Allen, Merino make up the top 5.

He doesn't get dispossessed.  That's because he shits himself when he is approached by an opposition player then panics and plays it back hurriedly to a defender who is then in even more trouble from the advancing opposition.   I'm amazed not many have picked up on this, because it happens with depressing regularity.  I've never seen anyone as frightened in possession when about to be challenged as our Jordie.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Did we miss him?

(Genuine question - I didn't see the game)

We played a completely different style and formation.   There was no-one doing what he usually does because the game plan didn't call for it.  Can and gini were both sitting mane and ox were pretty deep and the full backs too, so the defensive 3rd & midfield had much better coverage than usual and there was more space to counterattack into without a lot of elaborate 'preparing the offense'.

So to answer: no, but more because of tactics/formation tweak to suit the players playing, rather than quality issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)