You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Parenting Thread

Paul

I wasn't going to post about this because I feel like such a cunt about it might be therapeutic. I took our toddler to Marks & Spencer yesterday to pick up a couple of things to eat, I was standing at the cooked meats section & he was about 8 yards away giving me a cheeky wee look. I started saying, "Tommy, come here, come here & stand with Dad.", I was giving him my full attention at the time & he just done a Scooby Do-style exit stage left, I dropped my basket & sprinted after him only when I get to the bottom of the aisle (this was only 8 or 9 yards by the way) he was nowhere to be seen, I completely panicked & couldn't find him anywhere.

I was running about the shop shouting his name at the top of my voice & a couple of women came over to ask how old he was & what he looked like, this went on for what felt like a month (probably about 40 seconds) when a shop assistant grabbed me & said, "Are you looking for a wee boy, I think he's over here.". She took me towards the front of the shop & another assistant had stopped him on his way out the door, of course he comes over with her with a massive grin on his face. I was nearly in fucking tears when I saw the wee bastard but couldn't even give him a row I was that relieved. His Mum managed that when we got in though & lesson learned for me, he'll be getting his hand held tightly when we're out until he's about 30.

We found out last night that his cousin had done practically the same thing yesterday only she'd been hit by a car when she legged it (she's fine, it was just a bump), that actually made me feel a bit better if that makes any sense. Heart attack stuff.

They don't know what they do to you. Don't be so hard on yourself, mister. As you've seen already, everyone has (at least) one of those 'blood runs cold' moments.

Horrifying story about niece, though. Glad to hear she's ok

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone dealt with a child's extreme terror of "mascots" at parties etc?

Went to a communion yesterday and a 6ft Bing Bunny turned up doing the cha cha slide. ToddleD has previous with these and her absolute primal fear at this thing was evident.  Even when it had gone she was hiding under a table in case it turned up again. I confirmed with the organiser (who'd had a few bevvies) that this was the last one and after a big chat and Daddy promising on his heart and asking ToddleD to trust her daddy that no more were coming she calmed down to have a bit of a play.

Then Chase and fucking Marshall rocked in.  Luckily we were at the bounce castle and ready to go so I told her to close her eyes and put her hands over her ears to pretend I was a space rocket and legged it through the dance floor to the exit without her seeing them. 

These things are everywhere at parties etc at the minute and I don't know whether to try and weather this fear, force her to confront them or just ignore.  She knows they aren't real because she's clocked that it's someone in a suit she just says "she doesn't like people dressed up"

It's saving me a few grand on a trip to Disney though. 

Best to try and get her used to them, just for her own sake. As hard as it is, making them face fears is part of parenting.

My daughter used to be scared of water. I brought her to swimming and as soon as her toe touched the pool she was terrified. I walked into the pool holding her, and walked back out. Just talking to her. Back in and out a few times, staying in longer each time. Then I casually let go of her (she had armbands on) and she lost it. I just talked to her and let her know she would float because of the armbands and nothing bad would happen. I felt like an absolute cunt at the time. But after the second time letting go with the armbands she was fine. Once she realised that nothing would happen she loved swimming. She has pretty much asked me to go swimming every week since, and that was 5/6 years ago.

If you know something won't hurt her, it's worth it to try and demonstrate that imo. Maybe the fears will fade on their own, over time. Probably will. But if you can overcome them, she'll never have to be scared of a mascot again. Like a plaster. Get it off and it's done. Just my opinion though. I almost gave up with the swimming before the second time, as she looked so scared. Glad I didn't now.

Went to a communion yesterday and a 6ft Bing Bunny turned up doing the cha cha slide. ToddleD has previous with these and her absolute primal fear at this thing was evident. Even when it had gone she was hiding under a table in case it turned up again. I confirmed with the organiser (who'd had a few bevvies) that this was the last one and after a big chat and Daddy promising on his heart and asking ToddleD to trust her daddy that no more were coming she calmed down to have a bit of a play.

Then Chase and fucking Marshall rocked in. Luckily we were at the bounce castle and ready to go so I told her to close her eyes and put her hands over her ears to pretend I was a space rocket and legged it through the dance floor to the exit without her seeing them.

These things are everywhere at parties etc at the minute and I don't know whether to try and weather this fear, force her to confront them or just ignore. She knows they aren't real because she's clocked that it's someone in a suit she just says "she doesn't like people dressed up"

I'm shit scared of them too so would simply leave.

Hope this helps.

Went to a communion yesterday and a 6ft Bing Bunny turned up doing the cha cha slide. ToddleD has previous with these and her absolute primal fear at this thing was evident. Even when it had gone she was hiding under a table in case it turned up again. I confirmed with the organiser (who'd had a few bevvies) that this was the last one and after a big chat and Daddy promising on his heart and asking ToddleD to trust her daddy that no more were coming she calmed down to have a bit of a play.

Then Chase and fucking Marshall rocked in. Luckily we were at the bounce castle and ready to go so I told her to close her eyes and put her hands over her ears to pretend I was a space rocket and legged it through the dance floor to the exit without her seeing them.

These things are everywhere at parties etc at the minute and I don't know whether to try and weather this fear, force her to confront them or just ignore. She knows they aren't real because she's clocked that it's someone in a suit she just says "she doesn't like people dressed up"

What shows does she like herself? PJ Masks, maybe? Buy her an Owlette costume of her own and that could possibly help her see there’s nothing to fear.

Best to try and get her used to them, just for her own sake. As hard as it is, making them face fears is part of parenting.

My daughter used to be scared of water. I brought her to swimming and as soon as her toe touched the pool she was terrified. I walked into the pool holding her, and walked back out. Just talking to her. Back in and out a few times, staying in longer each time. Then I casually let go of her (she had armbands on) and she lost it. I just talked to her and let her know she would float because of the armbands and nothing bad would happen. I felt like an absolute cunt at the time. But after the second time letting go with the armbands she was fine. Once she realised that nothing would happen she loved swimming. She has pretty much asked me to go swimming every week since, and that was 5/6 years ago.

If you know something won't hurt her, it's worth it to try and demonstrate that imo. Maybe the fears will fade on their own, over time. Probably will. But if you can overcome them, she'll never have to be scared of a mascot again. Like a plaster. Get it off and it's done. Just my opinion though. I almost gave up with the swimming before the second time, as she looked so scared. Glad I didn't now.

She's such a brave little kid most of the time. She's flying through swimming lessons, great with animals and we go rampaging through the woods picking up logs to see the bugs, she's not even arsed about the dark.  The absolute terror on her face and "it's coming it's coming!!!!!!" is really scarring me.  It's difficult because they're not something we see very often so the old "exposure therapy" is difficult to arrange.  I think next time I'm just going to go up to one and give it a hug "look Daddy is fine" knowing my luck I'll trip over and it'll look like I'm getting strangled by Peppa Pig. 

I'm shit scared of them too so would simply leave.

Hope this helps.

The girl who's communion it was was scared too.  I think they just came as part of the "party package"

What shows does she like herself? PJ Masks, maybe? Buy her an Owlette costume of her own and that could possibly help her see there’s nothing to fear.

Well she loves Bing, and Paw Patrol (though now I've plashed out for the big plastic tower she's moving to PJ Masks, obvs) so have tried to talk her through the "it's just someone dressed as the characters from telly" 

It's been since she was very small too. We saw a minion at a softplay and she went apeshit. 

Yeah I'm scared of people in costumes too, along with clowns and drag queens.

I was on a night out once, it happened to be gay pride or something, and all the drag queens were freaking me out and making me anxious as fuck.

So I just drank more to try and relax, a bit later on talking to some gay lad he asked me why I was uncomfortable, and me being half pissed explained in the worst possible way that I didn't see them as being human. He looked quite sad and walked away, I still feel really bad about it to this day.

• 2 weeks later...

My Son is about 2 and a half & has been picking up speaking absolutely fine until this week when he's developed a really bad stutter. Anybody else ever come across this?

My missus has spoken to her pals & a couple of them have said it happened to their kids & disappeared after a few months but I'm really worried about it.

My Son is about 2 and a half & has been picking up speaking absolutely fine until this week when he's developed a really bad stutter. Anybody else ever come across this?

My missus has spoken to her pals & a couple of them have said it happened to their kids & disappeared after a few months but I'm really worried about it.

Yep.

Don't worry about it.

It's the verbal equivalent of trying to run before they can walk - their mouth can't process and form the words as quickly as their brain comes up with them. Leads to them stumbling over words.

• Upvote 1

Yer big fanny

Just kidding. As HS says and I’d say avoid picking him up about it

• Upvote 1

It can come and go up until 6 years of age apparently. The brain and mouth not syncing up.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to worry about, I had something similar and it didn't didn't didn't didn't didn't didn't didn't didn't affect me in later life.
  • Upvote 2

She's such a brave little kid most of the time. She's flying through swimming lessons, great with animals and we go rampaging through the woods picking up logs to see the bugs, she's not even arsed about the dark. The absolute terror on her face and "it's coming it's coming!!!!!!" is really scarring me. It's difficult because they're not something we see very often so the old "exposure therapy" is difficult to arrange. I think next time I'm just going to go up to one and give it a hug "look Daddy is fine" knowing my luck I'll trip over and it'll look like I'm getting strangled by Peppa Pig.

The girl who's communion it was was scared too. I think they just came as part of the "party package"

Well she loves Bing, and Paw Patrol (though now I've plashed out for the big plastic tower she's moving to PJ Masks, obvs) so have tried to talk her through the "it's just someone dressed as the characters from telly"

It's been since she was very small too. We saw a minion at a softplay and she went apeshit.

What about exposure from as far removed from the mascot as possible? I'm talking a photograph of the costume hung up, then working your way up to TV shows and seeing them in costume half put on from a distance!

• 1 month later...

I used to enjoy meal times, not any fucking more. I said to the missus last night that I'm going to have to start having my tea separate to our two year old because I'm going to throttle him fairly soon if it goes on like this. Every night we have a massive pantomime which quickly escalates into World War 3 before we can get him to eat anything. I had to put him in the living room last night so the rest of us could eat our tea in peace & all you could hear was him doing his best Ian Gillan impression from next door.

I used to enjoy meal times, not any fucking more. I said to the missus last night that I'm going to have to start having my tea separate to our two year old because I'm going to throttle him fairly soon if it goes on like this. Every night we have a massive pantomime which quickly escalates into World War 3 before we can get him to eat anything. I had to put him in the living room last night so the rest of us could eat our tea in peace & all you could hear was him doing his best Ian Gillan impression from next door.

I reckon he isn’t hungry because he’s getting up late at night, when you and your missus are asleep, and ordering pizza, curry and stuff. To be fair, some of the online discounts are pretty tempting.

• Upvote 1

I reckon he isn’t hungry because he’s getting up late at night, when you and your missus are asleep, and ordering pizza, curry and stuff. To be fair, some of the online discounts are pretty tempting.

There's a 24hr McDonald's 5 minutes down the road as well, you could be on to something, Tony.

The fact that he can't reach the burglar alarm means I'm not entirely convinced though.

• Upvote 1

I used to enjoy meal times, not any fucking more. I said to the missus last night that I'm going to have to start having my tea separate to our two year old because I'm going to throttle him fairly soon if it goes on like this. Every night we have a massive pantomime which quickly escalates into World War 3 before we can get him to eat anything. I had to put him in the living room last night so the rest of us could eat our tea in peace & all you could hear was him doing his best Ian Gillan impression from next door.

Tough love, eh, Mook?

It’s one of those independence battlegrounds where you have to decide your position and stick with it. And you need to be as together with Mrs M on this as you can as the crafty beggars will make mincemeat of you.

Does he not want to eat or is he just being picky?

PS we were shit at this and you know it’s ridiculous getting as wound up as you do by a munchkin but they don’t half get to you

Tough love, eh, Mook?

It’s one of those independence battlegrounds where you have to decide your position and stick with it. And you need to be as together with Mrs M on this as you can as the crafty beggars will make mincemeat of you.

Does he not want to eat or is he just being picky?

PS we were shit at this and you know it’s ridiculous getting as wound up as you do by a munchkin but they don’t half get to you

Doesn't matter what food it is, he does it probably three out of four meal times. It'll start as a laugh & then he'll start talking about things outside the window or the cat, then he'll slide off his seat, anything to avoid eating. We'll ask him to start eating his tea a few times nicely & it'll escalate from there & pretty much always ends up with him crying & me losing my rag. I fucking dread sitting down for something to eat these days.

It'll just be a phase but I hope it doesn't last too long.

Have you tried sticker reward charts mate?

Everytime ToddleD has been a little gobshite in phases we've managed to mitigate it by bringing in one of these.  e.g if you eat your dinner without any fuss you get a sticker.  7 stickers = a prize 

Currently doing it with "bedtime messing" when we put her down.  It's a lot better than it was. 

• Upvote 2

Have you tried sticker reward charts mate?

Everytime ToddleD has been a little gobshite in phases we've managed to mitigate it by bringing in one of these.  e.g if you eat your dinner without any fuss you get a sticker.  7 stickers = a prize 

Currently doing it with "bedtime messing" when we put her down.  It's a lot better than it was. 

Not a bad idea that, I'll discuss it with the missus when I get home tonight. Cheers.

His bedtimes & sleeping are great, it's the sit down meals & pissing everywhere that are the issues at the moment (although the apple doesn't fall far from the tree where pissing is concerned).