You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Doner Kebabs

Elite

Partial to cheeesy chips and doner meat if im steaming drunk or exceptionally hungover. Only about once a year mind

A mate brought some pal of his round mine for a smoke one weekend when I was maybe 20, all sorts of waifs and strays there so at some stage I put in a mass order to the local kebab house for delivery.  His pal wanted just doner meat, nothing else at all.  I had to assure the guy on the phone repeatedly that was all for that one, and in the finish just said "It's not for a human mate, my dog's hungry."  The lad gave me a death stare all night and then if my mate and I were due to watch football together but he was going round his, he'd always sound awkward and say there wasn't enough room for me to come.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

NV is a fucking quim.

Donner Kebabs are superb, just like chips and gravy.

Superb? What the fuck is superb about mushed up anonymous 'meat' with an 85% fat content? There's a reason people only eat them when they're pissed.

Not short of good kebab shops in Oldham but even so I'm lucky that one of the best is also the closest to me.  Does the usual doner and chicken doner but also lovely fresh cubed lamb, chicken and a frankly spectacular kobeda, or any combination thereof, all cooked fresh in front of you in a tandoor - none of this microwaving it in the back.

His salad is always crisp and fresh and he keeps all of it separately so you can have exactly what you want.  Even his sauces are made fresh on the premises; chilli sauce is ridiculous, it's basically pureed chillies thinned with a tiny bit of pureed tomato, but his mild sauce is thick and creamy - get both and just as the chilli is about to hit overload point the mild kicks in and calms it down again.  I go there at least a couple of nights a week, excellent food.  Just the smell of charred lamb that you get as you approach it makes you hungry.

Doner kebabs, usually come with a white feta like cheese in with the meat, that I've had when in Germany are a class above any I've had in the UK. Stunning.

Fucking hell, it's the chips and gravy thread all over again.

• Upvote 4

Not short of good kebab shops in Oldham but even so I'm lucky that one of the best is also the closest to me.  Does the usual doner and chicken doner but also lovely fresh cubed lamb, chicken and a frankly spectacular kobedah, or any combination thereof, all cooked fresh in front of you in a tandoor - none of this microwaving it in the back.

His salad is always crisp and fresh and he keeps all of it separately so you can have exactly what you want.  Even his sauces are made fresh on the premises; chilli sauce is ridiculous, it's basically pureed chillies thinned with a tiny bit of pureed tomato, but his mild sauce is thick and creamy - get both and just as the chilli is about to hit overload point the mild kicks in and calms it down again.  I go there at least a couple of nights a week, excellent food.  Just the smell of charred lamb that you get as you approach it makes you hungry.

You fucker, was just turning off the laptop and going to bed but my mouth is watering now.

Would want one of them for sure.  Spent my holiday the past two years in Greece gladly eating that type of stuff every other day, and I tend to get bored pretty quickly of the same thing too often. 

• Upvote 1

You fucker, was just turning off the laptop and going to bed but my mouth is watering now.

Would want one of them for sure.  Spent my holiday the past two years in Greece gladly eating that type of stuff every other day, and I tend to get bored pretty quickly of the same thing too often. 

Mate he shuts at midnight Monday to Thursday and I just did it to myself too.  Epic fail.

Deffo depends where you get them from too. There's a nice one by the Fiveways which does good donna. If it's being dished out by Marco from Tropoja shortly after he's had an ear bashing from some middle aged fat drunken wreck though you just know that meat is gonna losten your bowels a treat.

Round here most of the places do a Kebab roll(Nan bread instead of pitta).

I prefer waiting and getting some chicken,lamb cooked on the skewer with a salad,pitta,humus

I forgot they even serve kebabs in pitta, always have naan.  Lovely soft fluffy fresh cooked naan is one of my food favourites.

My regular kebab house make their own doner meat rather than buying in those minced up lumps of lamb's arsehole, fat and ear lobes that the shithole takeaways serve. The meat is shaved off the spit to order rather than left swimming in its own fat, and all their other kebabs are flame grilled apart from their chicken yiros which is treated the same way as their doner. They also don't put mayo on their kebabs although they do provide sachets for anyone who wants it. So many times I've seen people order their kebab with loads of chilli sauce and also ask for mayo. I bet those people also love the taste of a lamb's arsehole.

The only time I've had a kebab in Liverpool was from a takeaway in Mossley Hill not far from the station. Way too greasy and they'd not bothered to blanch the onions so that extremely pungent raw taste was still there.

Used to go to a place in London quite regularly when the in town, nothing special in terms of quality but the marinade was ace. But then they opened a shwarma place on the same road. No competition.

Its the morning after that puts me off. Kebab breath makes any hangover five times worse.