You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Merseyside Police object to 5.30 derby kick off.

ratcatcher

Liverpool council threatens legal action over Merseyside derby kick-off

Police unhappy with 5.30pm start on Saturday 7 February

City council prepared to take on Premier League over matter

Merseyside-police-are-unh-012.jpg
Merseyside police are unhappy that Everton's meeting with Liverpool at Goodison Park on 7 February is scheduled to start at 5.30pm. Photograph: Alex Livesey/Getty Images

Press Association

Tuesday 23 December 2014 13.59 GMT

Liverpool City Council has threatened to take legal action if the Premier League refuses a request to change the kick-off time of February’s Merseyside derby.

The match at Goodison Park is scheduled to take place at 5.30pm on Saturday 7 February and be televised by Sky Sports.

Merseyside Police have raised their concerns about the timing which has resulted in the match being elevated to a Category C fixture with a high risk of disorder. The police, supported by the council’s licensing committee, want the match to start earlier.

“Merseyside Police do not support this fixture being played at 5.30pm and reiterate our position that this fixture should have a kick-off time of no later than 1.30pm on a weekend,” said the police in a report to a special meeting of the ground safety advisory committee.

Everton informed the Premier League of police objections on 9 December and the issue will be discussed by the council’s licensing committee, which is set to also write to the Premier League with the proviso it “will take legal advice on all appropriate options to enforce the position” in the event of no change of kick-off time being determined.

The police report stressed there was no specific intelligence indicating any organised disorder is planned but stated the wider implications of a late kick-off meant they had to take action now.

“I firmly believe the police, the clubs, and the city council have a responsibility to minimise the likelihood of those problems and their impact, not only on supporters within the footprint of the stadium, but also the wider community,” the police report said.

“An evening kick-off time at a weekend is undoubtedly the most challenging and gives us the least chance of meeting our responsibilities. It is for this reason we, the police, have specifically requested that this fixture should have a lunchtime kick-off.

Liverpool City Council added in a statement from Mayor Joe Anderson: “The decision to call for the change of the February derby match to a lunchtime slot was taken by the multi-agency statutory Ground Safety Advisory Group (GSAG), which includes clubs, police and fan group representatives, after Merseyside Police voiced their concerns and reservations about their own ability to police the match and the city centre thereafter.

“The GSAG was advised by police that they believed their resources were not adequate enough to cope with what they considered would be extra strain on them on a Saturday night. The Group accepted the police concerns that people would drift into the city centre after drinking before and after the game stretching their limited resources.

“The city council communicated the GSAG’s decision to the Premier League requesting the fixture be made an early kick off. Other cities I believe have taken this step in the past because of similar concerns.

“I would make it clear that I personally do not support the decision, for many reasons, but as always the council has to listen and take advice from those professionals who are closest to such matters. Ultimately it is a decision for the Premier League and the GSAG will consider the matter further once they have taken a decision. Let me be clear however, the city council will not be taking legal action to challenge any decision, under any circumstances.

“As Mayor of Liverpool and someone who attends football matches regularly, I hope that the best way forward can be reached, but I would reiterate that the city of Liverpool is home to the best football fans in the world and I am very proud that they represent us in huge numbers travelling all over the country and overseas passionately supporting their teams.”

As far as I know, it's not the sole decision of the police to determine the appropriate kick-off time. They have their input, as do the clubs, and other emergency services, usually through a planning team.

Of course, if any one of the emergency services kicks up a real objection, it makes life awkward for the clubs.

I think if there was an overwhelming public safety issue, then the police could overrule everything, but I'd not think this is an overwhelming concern. It's just a 'concern'.

The police objected to the council's GSAG over the PL's kick off time. So it doesnt really matter whether its multi agency or not, the Police raised the objection.

Its just the same when the police object to a licensing application. They object to the magistrates etc but its still the police's objection.

Can't see a massive difference to Monday night derbies at 8pm where anybody could have been on the pop since late afternoon anyway.

Most people are in work until 5ish so by the time you get home and out it only leaves a couple of hours drinking. If it's 5.30 KO on a Saturday loads will probably be out for 12-2ish on it plus most will stay out and into town whereas on a Monday they'd tend not to.

Was it a Fa cup game or league not sure? But Gerrard scored and Cahill equalised for them. Thumpy's  going off all around town that night. Also was witness to blues storming into the Solly and glassing two lads who turned out to be blues themselves ,think it was 2007. Wasn't pretty.

The days of the friendly derby are well gone. Surprised they've gone with a 5.30pm ko. 

Was it a Fa cup game or league not sure? But Gerrard scored and Cahill equalised for them. Thumpy's  going off all around town that night. Also was witness to blues storming into the Solly and glassing two lads who turned out to be blues themselves ,think it was 2007. Wasn't pretty.

The days of the friendly derby are well gone. Surprised they've gone with a 5.30pm ko. 

That was the night that rumour went round that someone had been killed after a fight on Anfield Road near the King Harry. The coppers in their wisdom closed the road off with blue tape. Turned out someone had their jaw broke in an arranged fight. I'm sure it turned out one of their own was involved.

Still think it's only a matter of time before someone does get very seriously hurt or worse.

That was the night that rumour went round that someone had been killed after a fight on Anfield Road near the King Harry. The coppers in their wisdom closed the road off with blue tape. Turned out someone had their jaw broke in an arranged fight. I'm sure it turned out one of their own was involved.

Still think it's only a matter of time before someone does get very seriously hurt or worse.

That's right.

We just happened to be talking to Paula ,who worked in the Albert,and her friends by the side door. We must have moved along the bar 30 seconds when a pint pot hit the wall and they stormed in.

The two fellas who were glassed were very lucky the ambulance got to them pretty lively.