You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

You look at clubs that are used to playing for domestic titles and honours in a strong league, used to having to break down teams that normally park the bus against them, used to playing in the Champions League (or at least in the Europa League) every year, used to a training and preparation schedule that often covers up to 3 games in a week with all the travelling, physical and mental fatigue that entails, and used to squad rotation thereby preparing for maximum impact from minimum minutes at times. 

Once you've identified the sort of clubs who fit that profile, you target their players based on what you feel your squad needs. You then assess which players have the hunger to do well, which players are on the cusp of becoming top quality, and which players are already at that level. Then you assess what it might take to attract those players here, what it might cost in terms of wages, and what sort of transfer fee could be involved. Agents in particular - as well as the more savvy players - will recognise that your club is trying to build a team for a genuine stab at success and gravitate towards your club.

Sometimes, there might be players who have the hunger to succeed and can add something to your squad even if their clubs don't meet the criteria set out above. In that instance you have to look at whether the player can genuinely make a positive impact in your squad and pursue them accordingly.

Finding the right players is obviously not an exact science but I reckon using the above criteria as the basis for your transfer strategy takes some of the risk out of signing players because your core is hunger and mentality to compete at the highest level and win things. That attitude can be a real positive if/when it rubs off on the players that are already here or the ones coming through the youth ranks and it can elevate players up a level or two.

And it sure as hell beats spending a fortune on punts that have little more than hope behind them based on 6 months or one season of good form. We've wasted millions on punts like this over the years and it's a key reason why we've been so inconsistent when it comes to claiming a Champions League place at a bare minimum and challenging for honours. I think that's why so many players ultimately turn us down. Too often we just look like we HOPE to achieve something rather than looking like we WANT to achieve something.

• Upvote 8

Nicely written, Trumo. We need to have some kind of a vision, I ask you fans from the UK, from Liverpool who go to games regularly, do we have a vision? A philosophy? An identity what is Liverpool? Like it used to be, even under Benitez. I think that's what we need. Barca has it, Real has it, Bayern has it and even United has it (or they used to). We need it back.. but to get that people who run the club or make decision - not neccesarily the owners but the manager and the transfer committee, etc,

I'm beginning to actually hate Fabio Borini now.

Thirty three games for us and he's scored two goals. Two.

He's a striker.

And he wanted to stay "to fight for his place".

Fuck off you useless overpaid unflushable shite.

I've got form on this type of thing happening.

This Suso sale, and the fucking fee we got for him, is very hard to take. What an absolutely huge fuck up this has been. Shambolic. It's embarrassing that we can be so stupid at times. People at Milan must be scratching their heads in disbelief, and also having a huge laugh at our expense.

• Upvote 2

You then assess which players have the hunger to do well,

Single most important quality, however intangible. The mancs won all those titles because they had a manager who had it and who could see it in players and, most importantly, get it out of them. Simeone has it, too.

We used to have it but the PL killed us. 

Ah Suso, Almeria didn't want him, but AC Milan did.

Exactly. The Italian league. No fans and its level dropping by the season.

Look, Suso looks ok and in a perfect world he'd have made a break through. I'm just saying this isn't a big deal he didn't make it here. We've not lost a young Messi or anything and the players we have in his position look better.

Trumo makes some excellent points.  Our once envied transfer policy is a complete joke. We are sold the mantra we are investing in young talent that has potential to develop and become established stars or have resale potential ( whatever that might mean) . Resale at a profit seems to be glaringly absent from the gameplan, Anyway all well and good until we see the sums paid for the likes of Moreno , Markovic and a whole host of others. Ryan Babel immediately springs to mind, We are every club with a talented kid wet dream. Slap a "Starlet" label on them, throw out a bit of ground-bait and soon enough we'll be along cheque book in hand . Wouldn't surprise me if we do our cobs on this Berahino lad in the summer.. Origi is coming in barely out of short pants and having cost a fortune, He will be expected to work miracles and should he fail we will lose millions getting rid. 

Has to change . Other clubs get good kids in without shelling out millions and millions and we should be looking to strike a balance between doing that spending the big money on players in key positions that have a much better chance of being successful . It's just false economy doing what we're doing. 

Look, Suso looks ok and in a perfect world he'd have made a break through. I'm just saying this isn't a big deal he didn't make it here. We've not lost a young Messi or anything and the players we have in his position look better.

Look all you are doing is justifying a catastrophic transfer policy. I have heard/read this bullshit about "not a big deal", for six seasons now, since the exodus of Alonso, Masch et all started. I am pretty sure in your mini-world you have justified Suarez sale, you even believe that it was a smart move by FSG, selling him for less of what he is worth and replacing him with Balotelli and Lambert.. 

You are one of those people who've got a small statue of Ian Ayre on their desk, with a false penis, since his penis is way way too tiny to scale it down. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Look all you are doing is justifying a catastrophic transfer policy. I have heard/read this bullshit about "not a big deal", for six seasons now, since the exodus of Alonso, Masch et all started. I am pretty sure in your mini-world you have justified Suarez sale, you even believe that it was a smart move by FSG, selling him for less of what he is worth and replacing him with Balotelli and Lambert.. 

You are one of those people who've got a small statue of Ian Ayre on their desk, with a false penis, since his penis is way way too tiny to scale it down.

Your mask is slipping Code.

Exactly. The Italian league. No fans and its level dropping by the season.

Not sure he was ever given a proper go, so a de facto judgement on who is better in his position is moot.

Coutinho is the only one i would say who is certainly better.

Suso looked like he could have been every inch a Liverpool player on the little bits i saw of him.

Nightcat is chasing it in a dinghy armed with a WW1 rifle

And a pair of binoculars it seems.

Not sure he was ever given a proper go, so a de facto judgement on who is better in his position is moot.

Coutinho is the only one i would say who is certainly better.

Suso looked like he could have been every inch a Liverpool player on the little bits i saw of him.

Fair enough. I just don't think he's of a level that upsets me at him leaving or makes me think we've dropped a massive clanger. I'm happy with what we have in his position. In the fullness of time I could be proved wrong of course.

Your mask is slipping Code.

Bullshit.

You have no arguments to dispute what I have said about FSG's transfer policy. Numerous times I have challenged people to request information from Admins/Mods who can very easily confirm that I am not Code and I am not Norwegian. I am not Code and I have never been to Norway. Plus as far as I remember Code didn't like Rafa, while I love Rafa.