You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January Transfer Window 2015

RobbieOR

He probably would yes, doesn't change the fact Markovic was playing for the first team of a side in the CL/Europa league while Suso was playing for our reserves. Or the fact when Suso was playing for some Spanish spuds, Markovic was playing and winning stuff with Benfica. He's been playing first team football since he was 16/17. Where as it's still unclear if Suso will even start for Milan.

Is there a reason we didn't loan Suso out in the summer or did he want to stay and fight for his place?

Indeed, if you are going to use stats, at least use them in context.

Markovic wouldn't have got near our first team either last season.

The fact remains, we spent money on potential. I dont think, we are going to agree on this issue.

If i remember correctly you were also happy with Sturridge as the main first team striker going into the season.

Indeed, if you are going to use stats, at least use them in context.

Markovic wouldn't have got near our first team either last season.

The fact remains, we spent money on potential. I dont think, we are going to agree on this issue.

If i remember correctly you were also happy with Sturridge as the main first team striker going into the season.

I think Markovic would have been a better option on the bench last season than Moses and Alberto, don't you? Then again, so would Suso.. Potential maybe, but I don't think there's any doubting who has the higher potential.

Not sure what the Sturridge point has to do with anything at all. It was also the summer, I don't remember what I posted last week, never mind 6 months ago. I'm sure I wanted us to sign someone to play with him though as I remember at the time been glad we got Balotelli in. 

Suso, 21, played about 30 first team games, spent time on the bench for a shit side in Spain due to alleged attitude problems, doesn't have the pace or trickery to play out on the wing in the PL, so would only really get a look in as an attacking/creative midfielder 

vs

Markovic, 20, played over 100 first team games, scored over 20 goals, capped for his country, can play in multiple positions, won plenty of league titles and cups, fast, direct and full of skill

Suso is a talented player but Markovic, Sterling and Coutinho all have much higher potential. I don't see him going onto be this top player some people believe. If he was that highly rated a good side in Spain would have signed him and loaned him out. As it stands he's gone to a midtable side in a league on its deathbed and he might not even be a starter there either. 

Yeah, more or less this I think.

Suso is a good player but not quite good enough to play centrally for us ahead of Coutinho, Sterling or Lallana. Arguably if he got enough football and kicked on, he might go on to surpass one or more of this group, but that appears to be a long shot at this stage in proceedings. I'm sure we offered him a contract, and equally I'm sure Suso could see he was well down the pecking order, so he moved on to play football. 

I don't think there's an awful lot to see here. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Suso is a good player but not quite good enough to play centrally for us ahead of Coutinho, Sterling or Lallana. Arguably if he got enough football and kicked on, he might go on to surpass one or more of this group, but that appears to be a long shot at this stage in proceedings. I'm sure we offered him a contract, and equally I'm sure Suso could see he was well down the pecking order, so he moved on to play football. 

I don't think there's an awful lot to see here. 

Actually there is. We've once again mishandled a situation we should at least have gotten a reasonable return of money on. And I, for one, am sick of the excuses. 

• Upvote 1

On a similar note, does anyone know how Alberto is getting on at Malaga?

Think he's done OK for himself at Malaga.  Not playing every game but they're doing all right this season and he's certainly not harming them when he's on the pitch.

He looks like he has more potential than Suso, anyway.  Nothing against Suso but I don't think he'll go on to have a career that makes us regret letting him go.  I don't exactly think Alberto is going to come back to LFC next season either but I'd be surprised if we don't get most of our money back when we sell him to Sevilla or Valencia or someone next summer.

Actually there is. We've once again mishandled a situation we should at least have gotten a reasonable return of money on. And I, for one, am sick of the excuses. 

Ideally he'd have had a couple of years left on his contract so we could get a better fee, but if he won't sign a new deal I'm not sure what we're supposed to do? He doesn't have enough standing in the game at this time to justify us throwing a LOT of money at him in wages. He looked after his own interests and let his contract wind down so he could (presumably) get the best deal he could to play football. And good luck to him. 

At today's rates and given his current standing in the game, Suso is perhaps as much as a five million pound asset if he had time left on his contract. So arguably we 'lost' five million because we 'let' him wind his contract down. But even if we had persuaded him to sign another deal, I'm sure we'd have paid him the five million in wages, which might not have been the wisest move either, given his place in the pecking order at the club. 

So for me it's swings and roundabouts, and as I say, not much to see here.

• Upvote 1

Top scorers in the premiership:

Chelsea: Costa - 17 goals

City: Aguero - 14 goals

Soton: Pelle - 8 goals

United: Rooney - 8 goals

Arsenal: Sanches - 12 goals

Spurs: Eriksen - 8 goals

Hammers: Sakho - 8 goals

Liverpool: Gerrard - 5 goals

Says it all doesn't it. If still in doubt, compare to last season.

Indeed it does. One of our centre backs has scored more for West Ham than he has for us the bastard. 

• Upvote 3

People on here. The Padre for instance. And for the avoidance of doubt, I whatever contrary position you're about to adopt.

i don't agree.

You would struggle to find a Liverpool fan who could mount any sort of reasonable defence of our transfer policy over the past 20 years.

I bet we were short Swiss francs n all.

• Upvote 1

We should have inserted some sort of buy back clause in this Milan deal to let him go early, Real Madrid do it all the time, I remember them buying Negredo back for a day I think it was before selling him straight on. Even if we let Suso go for nothing now instead of the fee we got for him, letting Milan have him 6months early, then inserted a £10-£15m buy back. If he develops after playing regularly then great he's worth the money to buy him back and if he doesn't all we really lose out on was the reported £1m we got for him now.

Why would Milan agree to any buy back when he is there player in 6 months time. I think he should have got more chances but we got 1ml and dont pay his wages for a player who has never been more reserve team player, who only had 6 months on a deal and had signed a pre contract

We are linked with Benzema again, but this time it looks much more solid than before.

We've apparently decided to put in a £40m bid, and recent interviews with Rodgers reveal that Origi won't come early, and that he felt that we were sufficient attack-wise.

We are linked with Benzema again, but this time it looks much more solid than before.

We've apparently decided to put in a £40m bid, and recent interviews with Rodgers reveal that Origi won't come early, and that he felt that we were sufficient attack-wise.

Eh? We've bid £40m for an attacker but we're sufficient attack-wise? 

Steady on mate. He's probably desperate to get out of that shit hole, especially playing with all those shit players.

In a shit league, fighting for titles.

Fair fucks to the Express and Star though, in an industry where the Beeb got months of flak for bending the truth about radio competition winners, they make up their entire football output (and the rest), sell shitloads of papers, and nobody bats an eyelid.

• Upvote 2

Brendan Rodgers was on Talksport this morning and believes it will be a quiet month at Anfield in terms of transfers.

“It will be quiet,” he said. “I’ve said before we wouldn’t be doing much over the course of January.

“There are players who are linked with Liverpool all the time. That may be agents looking to get their player a move. For us, it will be pretty quiet.”