You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Divock Origi

WhiskeyJar

Im wondering if Origi could be the replacement while Mane is off to the ACN. Shift Origi over, play Firmino in the middle, and Coutinho should be back from injury by then too. We'd still have a pacy outlet in Origi. 

Ideally I'd like to see us sign one or two good players in January, like that time we signed Sturridge and Coutinho. But I think we will do what I said in the first paragraph if the right signing doesn't materialise at the start of January. 

Im wondering if Origi could be the replacement while Mane is off to the ACN. Shift Origi over, play Firmino in the middle, and Coutinho should be back from injury by then too. We'd still have a pacy outlet in Origi. 

Ideally I'd like to see us sign one or two good players in January, like that time we signed Sturridge and Coutinho. But I think we will do what I said in the first paragraph if the right signing doesn't materialise at the start of January. 

Then if we get an injury or two, we'll be fucked.

If we're serious about winning stuff, we'll buy players.

Then if we get an injury or two, we'll be fucked.

If we're serious about winning stuff, we'll buy players.

Completely agree we need to make a couple of good signings. Hopefully they will be lined up ready to come in at the start of the month. Just trying to work out what we might do if they don't come in right away. 

Guest Pistonbroke

The lad played a lot better last night, especially after JK tweaked the tactics/formation in the second half. It suited Origi better to have kind of a free role interchanging with the others rather than being asked to be the focal point of attack. 

Jagielka sounds like an eastern european name so would probably be said with a Y sound if said in its native tongue. Barragan is also being pronounced with a H sound for the G is another where the commentators are trying to sound smarter than they really are. To be fair I suppose its better than destroying the origin of names like the Yanks do.

That Ankle Rankle at Swansea is a commentator's dream.

Hopefully there aren't too many injuries in the 'war'...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/18/liverpool-striker-divock-origi-expects-merseyside-derby-war/

Although having read the article, the headline doesn't seem that appropriate.

Liverpool striker Divock Origi has warned Everton to prepare for ‘war’ in tonight’s Merseyside derby.

The in-form striker’s derby experience is limited, but he can testify to the physical demands of the fixture. Last April, an outstanding run  for the 21-year-old was ended by a horrific challenge from Everton’s Ramiro Funes Mori – ending Origi’s chances of playing in the Europa League or competing at full throttle for Belgium in the European Championship.

Origi goes into the meeting at Goodison Park tonight on a similar hot streak, with five goals in his past five games, and saw no reason to play down the passion of the game.

“It will be a war, so we go there in a very positive way,” said Origi. “You want to win this game but you know it will not be easy. It is a derby so it will be special - a very big and important game for us as a club. We have to prepare it well.” 

Phil Jagielka’s suspension means that Funes Mori is expected to face Origi again, the young Belgian responding diplomatically to the Argentine defender’s role when they last met. Origi did receive an apology, but it was not delivered personally.

“It was an official message, but these things happen in a football career,” said Origi. “I came back stronger and I have to continue growing. How will I feel? I don’t know who is playing, but I am very motivated.” 

In the absence of Daniel Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho, Origi has demonstrated why there is much excitement about his potential. “I am happy to express myself in a positive manner, but I think this is only the beginning,” he said.

“At the end I will have time to reflect on the season and see what is good and not good, but I am feeling better and better and happy that I am here and I can express myself on the field.

“I like to keep my goals target for myself but I am very, very ambitious. I always said I want to get the best out of my potential.

This has given me confidence, but I still have to grow and now is not the time to be happy.

“I have to work hard and keep going. At the end of the season we will see what we have reached.” 

If, as Origi expects, Goodison resembles a scene from Apocalypse Now tonight, neither Ronald Koeman nor Jürgen Klopp will complain too much.

Koeman has spent the past few months demanding more aggression from his players, his appeal finally getting the required response against Arsenal last week.

“It is not all about technical qualities of a player but also the belief and commitment and aggression on the pitch to make it difficult,” said Koeman.

“If you act too nice – like we have in the past this season – you need a reaction. 

“You have to create it for yourself. Some players always have it and some players need something else to get that reaction. We need to change that as a team, to not start sloppy and to show from the start the spirit, not because the fans are unhappy, or because we are down in the score or there is a decision from the referee.

“We know Liverpool is different to Arsenal. Liverpool are more physical and play aggressive football.” 

Klopp is preparing for his first visit to Goodison Park. As a manager who consistently embraces the importance of a fiery atmosphere, he said he is looking forward to a tempestuous evening. He admired how Everton changed the atmosphere against Arsenal and expects to see his players react more positively to such an environment.

“It is fact that it can make a difference, but I don’t have any fears. Not a second,” said Klopp.

“I’m not afraid of it. It’s only football. I help their team. I like it. It makes the job a little bit different but, at the end, it is still the same job. You can only do your best. There is always an influence on the atmosphere. They are all the things that you already know. You need to be really aggressive but not on the edge where you will be illegal. Don’t do things like this, concentrate on football and use the noise.

“We are not there to translate what people are singing. We are there to play football. We know that it’s not for us. It’s loud and it’s emotional. Use it.

“It is not easy, even in an outstanding atmosphere. Last year we had a really good away atmosphere in Manchester for the Europa League. We had a wonderful atmosphere against Dortmund, in both games. The job is to make it is as difficult as possible for the crowd to enjoy the game.” 

• 3 months later...

Could be a big opportunity for Origi to stake a claim. He can coast and be a peripheral player and eventually get sold. Or he can get stuck in, use his pace, physique, fast feet and goal scoring ability to put a marker down that says he wants a starting spot in the Liverpool side Klopp is forming.

The crazy thing is either one could happen.

Made up he got a goal on Saturday. Saw his interview with LFC TV after the game and he came across very well. He should get a run in the side now if Mane is out.

Yes I saw that too and he did come across well. Let's hope this has boosted his confidence and he scores a hatful in the run in.

• 1 year later...

Should see a bit more him at the world cup

Borussia Dortmund have confirmed that Michy Batshuayi's season is over due to an ankle injury sustained in Sunday's loss to Schalke.

The Belgian scored nine goals in 14 games for BVB on loan from Chelsea

Shame for the lad. Just finding his feet. I liked him