You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ronnie Moran

Guest LFD

Has he got anything named after him at the club? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, it'd be nice if he got something before it gets too late.

I can't think of anyone else still alive other than Evans and Dalglish that deserves something for there time served to the club, maybe when everything gets moved to Kirkby.

Has he got anything named after him at the club? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, it'd be nice if he got something before it gets too late.

I can't think of anyone else still alive other than Evans and Dalglish that deserves something for there time served to the club, maybe when everything gets moved to Kirkby.

No fucking chance with this shower of cunts.

Pity his name wasn't Richard Money. They'd name the new stand after him.

Ronnie Moran is a legend. A true football man, a working class man with all the best of what that means, and obviously a top football man, given his contribution to our sustained success over the many years he was part of the set up.

He wouldn't have earned much money from the game, certainly in relation to what people make today. As an 83 year old man he probably thought this was his last chance to make a few bob for himself, or more likely, his family. I'm sure it will be an interesting read too.

Good luck to the fella.

• Upvote 1

Yeah and he's also living in a nursing home now. Genuinely saddened by this.

Reminds me of when Bob Paisley was in a Nursing home that my Sister worked in, she said come in and see him if you want. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, wanted to remember him for what he was, not what he had become.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming that the stories in this book would have been documented a long time ago if he has dementia, it's a horrible disease for everyone involved my great nan sometimes used to forgot who I was. It was hard for a 10 year old to understand.

Ronnie Moran is a bit before my time but knowing how long he was here and what his colleagues and peers have said about him he can only be held in the highest esteem, legend gets thrown about a lot but he is a true club legend. Be a good read.

It's those little excerpts like Ronnie giving the players a bollocking after a 5-0 win, or dumping the box of winner's medals on the table and telling players to take one only if they feel they deserve one, or downsizing the latest title win by saying pre-season starts next week, or just always being on the players' cases whether they were doing well or not.

Those are the kinds of things the squad today needs, whether they like it or not. It's unfortunate that players nowadays are just mercenaries and agents are always manipulating in the background because they are more likely to kick up a fuss and angle for a move.

When the players are busy slapping themselves on the back after good wins against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, when they've all shit the bed against the likes of Hull and Leicester in between, the attitude and influence of somebody like Ronnie Moran becomes more important.

We need people at the club with his ethos, demanding that standards be raised at each and every turn, even when the side is already on top of the pile.

I'll be getting that book.

• Upvote 2

It's those little excerpts like Ronnie giving the players a bollocking after a 5-0 win, or dumping the box of winner's medals on the table and telling players to take one only if they feel they deserve one, or downsizing the latest title win by saying pre-season starts next week, or just always being on the players' cases whether they were doing well or not.

Those are the kinds of things the squad today needs, whether they like it or not. It's unfortunate that players nowadays are just mercenaries and agents are always manipulating in the background because they are more likely to kick up a fuss and angle for a move.

When the players are busy slapping themselves on the back after good wins against the likes of Spurs and Arsenal, when they've all shit the bed against the likes of Hull and Leicester in between, the attitude and influence of somebody like Ronnie Moran becomes more important.

We need people at the club with his ethos, demanding that standards be raised at each and every turn, even when the side is already on top of the pile.

I'll be getting that book.

I'm assuming people like Gerrard and Carragher were around seeing him doing these things, they are exactly the type of people who should be doing it at the club now, they've seen it all before they're probably the last academy players to witness the old "bootroom". They know and would have heard about all the old tricks Shanks, Paisley, Moran etc used to do to keep an already winning squad hungry, instead of being on Sky or BT get back to the club you love and keep traditions going. It would be a complete overhaul in mentality that would stop us shitting the bed against teams we should batter. I'd love us to have a similar setup to Milan where nearly all the coaching staff and scouting team are ex players who mainly came through the ranks. Obviously the manager would need his people in aswell though.

I'll buy the book. I'll expect it to be a very good interesting, insightful read. And if it isn't, it won't bother me a jot. Ronnie Moran made my life, and hundreds of thousands of lives of men like me, better because he was him. Thank you so much Bugsy. I hope to God that Liverpool FC never forgets you. I won't.

• Upvote 1