You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mohamed Salah

WhiskeyJar

I know that it's been mentioned already but how fucking ridiculous is it that our league title hopes could actually be taken away from us due to players not being available due to an international tournament. It's like telling a boxer fighting for a belt that he can't use one of his hands for a round whilst his opponent just gets on with it as usual. AFCON can go fuck itself.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Code said:

It is just two games, we should be able to win them regardless of Mo and Mane missing. 

FD1C9B01-0264-453C-940E-63C99A6AE76E.jpeg

It's a minimum of two games isn't it? If their national FAs insist on them being released two weeks early then they'll miss the Chelsea game and if they get out of the groups then they could miss more games afterwards.

30 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

It's a minimum of two games isn't it? If their national FAs insist on them being released two weeks early then they'll miss the Chelsea game and if they get out of the groups then they could miss more games afterwards.

It finishes on the 6th of February, starts on the 9th of January.

There is absolutely no way Egypt will call up Mo before the Chelsea game. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Code said:

I can't see Mo wanting to miss the chance to play and score against Chelsea so that he can attend a few extra days of pre-tournament training. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Code said:

It is just two games, we should be able to win them regardless of Mo and Mane missing. 

Hope you're right but the likes of yesterday would have been a real problem without Mo & Sadio and it looks like this is going to go to the wire. It's not like we're missing squad players here.

5 hours ago, Code said:

Nothing is certain yet though. They could even miss the Leicester game over xmas if their FAs want to be cunts. And even if it is just 2 matches, it means we lose our only 2 wide men against 2 sides who will be happy to sit in and you need your width. And with the final being on 6th, anyone playing in that may not be in shape for Leicester on 9th. 

Add to this Al Ahly have request the African federation bring the tournament forward as it overlaps with FIFA's club world cup, literally anything is still up for grabs. It's fucking ridiculous - and nobody is talking about the South Americans fucking off for world cup qualifiers in January too, which adds to the fatigue and makes a tough January tougher, combined with making the FA cup harder 

Screenshot_20211212-140156.jpg

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Nothing is certain yet though. They could even miss the Leicester game over xmas if their FAs want to be cunts. And even if it is just 2 matches, it means we lose our only 2 wide men against 2 sides who will be happy to sit in and you need your width. And with the final being on 6th, anyone playing in that may not be in shape for Leicester on 9th. 

Add to this Al Ahly have request the African federation bring the tournament forward as it overlaps with FIFA's club world cup, literally anything is still up for grabs. It's fucking ridiculous - and nobody is talking about the South Americans fucking off for world cup qualifiers in January too, which adds to the fatigue and makes a tough January tougher, combined with making the FA cup harder 

Screenshot_20211212-140156.jpg

Won't Chelsea be playing in the club world Cup? 

How will that effect them? 

10 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Hope you're right but the likes of yesterday would have been a real problem without Mo & Sadio and it looks like this is going to go to the wire. It's not like we're missing squad players here.

Exactly.

Say that Villa game was one of the games we were missing Sadio & Mo for due to the Afcon I’d say most fans myself included would have said we’d win without them.

If it wasn’t for Salah we’d have dropped points in that match.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Code said:

Of course they won't - they need to flush the PEDs out of his system first, so they don't get blamed for the doping! Get a grip, Code.

15 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

I know that it's been mentioned already but how fucking ridiculous is it that our league title hopes could actually be taken away from us due to players not being available due to an international tournament. It's like telling a boxer fighting for a belt that he can't use one of his hands for a round whilst his opponent just gets on with it as usual. AFCON can go fuck itself.

Is fucking right.

Although of course there will be other clubs who suffer too....but the point is NO clubs should suffer.

The players are the clubs expensively acquired and extremely highly paid employees and them being pulled away from their employers during the season like this is just fucking wrong.

8 hours ago, an tha said:

Is fucking right.

Although of course there will be other clubs who suffer too....but the point is NO clubs should suffer.

The players are the clubs expensively acquired and extremely highly paid employees and them being pulled away from their employers during the season like this is just fucking wrong.

I can't understand why we can't get a genuine world calendar. I understand they can't necessarily play in parts of Africa during the summer, but perhaps there need to be a level of coordination where the other regional tournaments perhaps have a winter slot like we'll have for the world cup. There has to be a better way than this. I feel like we just need to rip up the current footballing calendar and start again - it might mean we need to adapt a little, perhaps our seasons will break in the middle occasionally for international football, but it's got to be better than this. It's not just the tournaments for me. The entire international calendar does nothing more than destabilise the club calendar all year. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't understand why we can't get a genuine world calendar. I understand they can't necessarily play in parts of Africa during the summer, but perhaps there need to be a level of coordination where the other regional tournaments perhaps have a winter slot like we'll have for the world cup. There has to be a better way than this. I feel like we just need to rip up the current footballing calendar and start again - it might mean we need to adapt a little, perhaps our seasons will break in the middle occasionally for international football, but it's got to be better than this. It's not just the tournaments for me. The entire international calendar does nothing more than destabilise the club calendar all year. 

My solution would be to cancel international football entirely as it's fucking shit. 

• Upvote 8

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

i believe those on the take may not agree with that. 

I concur. Unfortunately they want even more international football so they can try and milk it even more.

Football has very much gone down the quantity over quality route and as far as I can tell the only person involved in the game who openly seems to give a fuck about it is Klopp who doesn't want the players run into the ground to the point they are physically fucked.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't understand why we can't get a genuine world calendar. I understand they can't necessarily play in parts of Africa during the summer, but perhaps there need to be a level of coordination where the other regional tournaments perhaps have a winter slot like we'll have for the world cup. 

South America is in the Southern Hemisphere too, and they seem to cope with a tourney in our summer