You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The English media and Suarez

WhiskeyJar

Its having an affect for sure, so even if we had won something it would still be a major contributing factor to his decision.

Don't forget he has also a family to consider.

Would you stay if you were foreigner in England and was handled in such a way?

It has fuck all to do with the media. Sadly, we're just a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

Because the media haven't been speculating about Rooney for the last month, have they?

Or Ronaldo before that.

They have but they weren't campaigning to have Rooney sold or his contract terminated following his many misdemeanours. The media and FA didn't go out of their way to get Suarez off the hook as they have done with England's Rooney, quite the opposite. The media have been more morally 'outraged' by Suarez than by anyone I can ever recall. And the arbitrary FA punishments have been commesurate with national indignation which in turn is controlled directly by the outraged tabloids.

He is a world class player and the reality is world class players these days don't hang around too long at clubs who struggle to qualify for the CL. But the hypocritical media circus more interested in show pieces, cause celebres, and gossip than the game will have played it's part.

Its having an affect for sure, so even if we had won something it would still be a major contributing factor to his decision.

Don't forget he has also a family to consider.

Would you stay if you were foreigner in England and was handled in such a way?

If I were a foreigner in England, I wouldn't read any of the papers or listen to sports radio because it's all utter rubbish. I'm first generation, and the Mirror was the only paper in our house. Read only for the cricket news and racing odds.

I can understand though if this has all taken its toll on him. I'd be frustrated about excessive bans and fans booing me every week. No-one wants to subject their family and friends to that level of negativity. But if I were a South American footballer and Real Madrid came knocking, I'd be listening. I just don't feel that the media is the 'major' contributing factor to whether he decides to leave or not.

It has fuck all to do with the media. Sadly, we're just a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

You can choose to believe that it has fuck all to do, but like I mentioned in previous posts, its turning out to be the biggest influence to his decision.

They have but they weren't campaigning to have Rooney sold or his contract terminated following his many misdemeanours. The media and FA didn't go out of their way to get Suarez off the hook as they have done with England's Rooney, quite the opposite. The media have been more morally 'outraged' by Suarez than by anyone I can ever recall. And the arbitrary FA punishments have been commesurate with national indignation which in turn is controlled directly by the outraged tabloids.

He is a world class player and the reality is world class players these days don't hang around too long at clubs who struggle to qualify for the CL. But the hypocritical media circus more interested in show pieces, cause celebres, and gossip than the game will have played it's part.

I think you forgot to mention the honourable Mr. Ferguson who was actively and publicly calling for us to get rid of Suarez. He stoked the fires, and I won't forget his part in leading the frothing masses in the hunt for blood.

I can understand though if this has all taken its toll on him. I'd be frustrated about excessive bans and fans booing me every week. No-one wants to subject their family and friends to that level of negativity. But if I were a South American footballer and Real Madrid came knocking, I'd be listening. I just don't feel that the media is the 'major' contributing factor to whether he decides to leave or not.

But it is having an effect if you read some of the stuff that's coming out from his camp about how he feels to be treated unfairly.

I am not saying he is not milking it to a certain degree to get his transfer but he would undoubtedly be happier here if they weren't on his back so much.

I don't think it is the reason he is considering leaving. I do think he has been victimised, but I really don't think that is why he is leaving. He wants to play for Real because they are a higher level and play in the CL. Understandable. He doesn't want to ruin his relationship with the Liverpool fans though, which is also understandable.

I really think that if he did want to stay, he would be able to ignore the media.

Funny how Real Madrid want him yet haven't got a manager.

I was curious about this too. What if Madrid were to pay £50 million for Luis, and from day 1 him and the incoming manager fucking hate each other ?

There probably is interest from Madrid, but I certainly wouldn't be relying on the British press for anything factual. More guesswork and just plain make it up to sell their shitey rags.

It's not that funny, they've been doing it for decades.

Yup. That's how they work. The club will be angling to get Luis in regardless of who's manager.

I hope he gives us another season. I think the fans especially deserve that commitment from him. Let him keep his fucking head down and stop doing crazy shit and concentrate on his football. If we fail to get CL football after that then fine let him off. He'll still be worth 50mill plus in another year.

Some of the written press were starting to come round, but he was and is still demonised by the vast majority of televisual and radio presenters and pundits. He is clearly the victim of official prejudice both on and off the pitch, and it tells you everything you need to know when his fellow professionals boo his name while cheering a convicted rapist. That's how fucked-up the witch hunt has become. When the footage clearly shows Evra withdrawing his hand and Luis STILL gets blamed by all and sundry then you know you're banging your head against a brick wall.

Fucking immense player and a pure joy to watch.

it tells you everything you need to know when his fellow professionals boo his name while cheering a convicted rapist.

The case was dismissed before it got to court and she later admitted she made it up to gain publicity. Got no love for Van Persil, but anyway.

Some of the written press were starting to come round, but he was and is still demonised by the vast majority of televisual and radio presenters and pundits. He is clearly the victim of official prejudice both on and off the pitch, and it tells you everything you need to know when his fellow professionals boo his name while cheering a convicted rapist. That's how fucked-up the witch hunt become. When the footage clearly shows Evra withdrawing his hand and Luis STILL gets blamed by all and sundry then you know you're banging your head against a brick wall.

Fucking immense player and a pure joy to watch.

Speaking sense as usual mate I see. Spot on. The bit in bold is the killer isn't it?

The case was dismissed before it got to court and she later admitted she made it up to gain publicity. Got no love for Van Persil, but anyway.

I'm assuming that's a joke, but seems a bit too explainationy.

Nah his fellow professionals voted him into the team of the year. A few pissed up no marks had a little boo. So what?

Yeah sorry for having my own opinion. Cheers for thinking for me. There was obviously no merit in the example given when talking about perceived bias.

Nah his fellow professionals voted him into the team of the year. A few pissed up no marks had a little boo. So what?

His fellow professionals put the boot in during virtually every interview I've heard or read where he's come up as a topic. The snide digs are numerous. Some even put it in their autobiographies. It's ceaseless and it's shit. If he were British he wouldn't attract this attention.

You can choose to believe that it has fuck all to do, but like I mentioned in previous posts, its turning out to be the biggest influence to his decision.

Nah, it's a convenient out for him. If we were playing CL and challenging for the league, he would barely mention the press.

Guest San Don

Of course there's a media agenda against Suarez. Take the mansfield handball and compare it to henry against Ireland a few years ago. Guess which story ran for days after the game. TV commentator called him a 'cheat.' Did a commentator say that about Henry? Dont think so.

So he gave some fans the middle finger at Fulham after they'd barracked him all game. How many times has rooney been banned for giving the 'cock suckers' sign at Anfield?

Every article about Suarez brings up either the racism case, the finger, the handball, the diving and the rest. I dont see that when I read about rooney, bale et al.

Whether that's enough to drive you out of a country or not is down to the individual but, it would surely piss off even the strongest character if all you saw all the time is a concerted character assassination.