You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Greatest!

Chocoholic

News tonight that Ali is gravely ill. A true legend and gentleman is worthy of prayers, whatever form they may take. Hope he doesn't suffer.

Ali gravely ill, says brother - The Irish Times - Sun, Feb 03, 2013

Ali gravely ill, says brother

1224329602398_1.jpg?ts=1359934331Muhammad Ali during training on July 10th, 1972, for his fight with Al Blue Lewis held at Croke Park. Photograph: Don Morley/Getty Images

Boxing: Muhammad Ali is so ill he could die within days, his brother has said. Rahman Ali said the former world heavyweight champion cannot speak and no longer recognises him.

“My brother can’t speak, he doesn’t recognise me. He’s in a bad way. He’s very sick,” said Rahman

“It could be months, it could be days. I don’t know if he’ll last the summer. He’s in God’s hands. We hope he gently passes away.

“He told me before he got really bad that he’s in no pain. He grabbed my arm and whispered ‘Rah, I’ve achieved everything I’ve ever wanted to accomplish. Don’t cry for me, I’m in no pain’.

“It’s best he goes now. The longer he goes on, so does his suffering and misery.”

Ali won gold at the 1960 Olympics and after turning professional went on to become a three-time world heavyweight champion.

The 71-year-old had several iconic fights during his career, including 1974’s ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ with George Foreman and the ‘Thrilla in Manila’ against Joe Frazier the following year.

Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson’s in 1984 but remained active for many years and memorably lit the Olympic flame in Atlanta in 1996.

• 3 years later...

Sad news

He did say some shitty things in the past both in general and especially to Frazier. I dont think the Frazier things were meant as personal as Joe took them but both were stubborn men who were not backing away from anything said. Fair to say his other opinion changed and its hard to judge his opinions unless youve dealt with the shit he did as a young black man in the south pre rights.

Anyway thats all for another thread

Horrible news

• Upvote 2

I don't think Sport will ever see anything remotely like him. I know that's said about a lot of people, but it is so true of him. The way he fought the establishment and in many ways won, let alone his stellar boxing career; it demands not just admiration but inspiration. So charismatic, intelligent, funny and fierce.

I really think he is bigger to Sport than Elvis was to Music. An icon of the 20th century.

I don't think Sport will ever see anything remotely like him. I know that's said about a lot of people, but it is so true of him. The way he fought the establishment and in many ways won, let alone his stellar boxing career; it demands not just admiration but inspiration. So charismatic, intelligent, funny and fierce.

I really think he is bigger to Sport than Elvis was to Music. An icon of the 20th century.

To be fair though Rem one of his foes upstaged him with his grill.

Might have to give the edge to Big George here.