You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Greatest!

Chocoholic

Tony Bellew was just on Sky Sports a few minutes ago saying that Ali was up there with Mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela.

Strange perspective. I reckon Mother Teresa would be at a serious weight and strength disadvantage even in today's poor heavyweight division.

He had it all, from a pure boxing perspective he was unauthdox but in a good way, a comple natural, his speed had never been seen at heavyweight level and the way he evolved as he got older, he had no right to beat a young George foreman in his prime staggering really. Quite simply the greatest sportsman to have ever graced this planet. One of the true heros of our time.

Ali and Jordan in terms of iconic status should not even be mentioned in the same sentence imo. 

One stood up for something so stoically he gave his liberty, boxing titles and much more for his cause.

The other put his name to something he stood in, manufactured by child slave labour [allegedly].

No competition.

Is there a bigger icon in sport than Ali? I can't think of anyone who transcends his sport like him.

I don't think so. At his peak his popularity was insane. He could be recognised and mobbed in some backwater village in Africa or Pakistan, decades before mass media became reality. You see images of Ali and he is getting mobbed wherever he goes. I can't think of a single person that has that level of fame and recognition. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think so. At his peak his popularity was insane. He could be recognised and mobbed in some backwater village in Africa or Pakistan, decades before mass media became reality. You see images of Ali and he is getting mobbed wherever he goes. I can't think of a single person that has that level of fame and recognition. 

Ali bomaye!

9fe5eeab054d25dc6642969d56ead04c.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ali bomaye!

9fe5eeab054d25dc6642969d56ead04c.jpg

Out of rep WW.  Was watching that fight during the week and the scenes at the end were incredible.  People dancing around the ring and Frost almost crying with joy. 

If you listen to the commentary during round 5 when Foreman is really hitting Ali hard to the body you can hear Frost in the background screaming at Ali to be careful.  Always cracks me up when I hear it.

• Upvote 1

Watched a documentary on More4 last night called Thrilla in Manilla, absolutely brilliant, loads of interviews, clips and a great soundtrack ftom Curtis Mayfield to Led Zeppelin.

Highly recommended if you haven't seen it, I think it'll be available on catch up.

• Upvote 1