You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

They should have some fans on these games so they could tell the pundits they're talking a load of crap in no uncertain terms.

I disagree, an ex player can offer some insights behind the scenes of the sport whereas a fan can't, it's like asking me to comment on space travel instead of Buzz Aldrin.

In fact one of the things i can't abide now due to Twitter and blogging is the amount of fans out there posting opinion 'article' like it's gospel.

I disagree, an ex player can offer some insights behind the scenes of the sport whereas a fan can't, it's like asking me to comment on space travel instead of Buzz Aldrin.

In fact one of the things i can't abide now due to Twitter and blogging is the amount of fans out there posting opinion 'article' like it's gospel.

Like everything else on telly the format dictates that it's shite. 20 second bitesize stuff so they can go to an advert at the drop of a hat. 

Redknapp was shite then when analysing the WBA goal.

And exemplified a trend amonst pundits of taking a sole criticism of a team, making that point the running narrative and then using it to blame every loss or stumble with.

WBA headed goal was because Arsenal have "no leaders"

The Redknapp's analysis pretty much consisted of him repeating the words "no leaders" over and over. It might be a valid criticism of Arsenal. But, I think it's fair to say that West Brom, being a Pulis team, score or threaten A LOT from set pieces. Against teams with leaders too.

It just seemed like quite lazy analysis and didn't really credit WBA for once again doing what they do quite well.

• Upvote 1

I quite like Hoddle, he's one of the few pundits who'll commentate on an England game and highlight that creative players need to be able to have quiet games without being dropped for an average journeyman with no flair. Everyone else seems to favour running around a lot over actually doing anything with the ball.

Plus, he's got a man crush on Lallana, which makes him alright.

I quite like Hoddle, he's one of the few pundits who'll commentate on an England game and highlight that creative players need to be able to have quiet games without being dropped for an average journeyman with no flair. Everyone else seems to favour running around a lot over actually doing anything with the ball.

Plus, he's got a man crush on Lallana, which makes him alright.

He's speaking from experience with the first part because his England career was a bit stop-start given his ability. I think it was Platini who once said, after watching him playing well with Monaco, that if Hoddle were French, he'd have got well over a century of caps. It was obviously his bad karma to have been born English. Must have done something pretty shit in a previous life.

• Upvote 2

He's speaking from experience with the first part because his England career was a bit stop-start given his ability. I think it was Platini who once said, after watching him playing well with Monaco, that if Hoddle were French, he'd have got well over a century of caps. It was obviously his bad karma to have been born English. Must have done something pretty shit in a previous life.

Yeah, reckoned they'd have built a team around him. I always found it interesting how him and - to a lesser extent - Le Tissier later on were viewed abroad, seeing us as luddites when it came to creative players.

Hoddle was a fantastic player. I liked and still like Diamond Lights, too. So, sue me.

Nothing wrong with that, it's a good 80s tune.

Hoddle was a fantastic player. I liked and still like Diamond Lights, too. So, sue me.

I could easily imagine Firmino and Coutinho recording a Samba cover version.

Yes he was and maybe he will re-incarnated as a fantastic pundit instead of a mumbling retard

Every other ex Spurs player of his generation fucked off to Essex ti run a pub. Why does he have to be different ?

Just because they've played the game doesn't give them the same eye as a coach or manager. British pundits are overwhelmingly shite,apart from a few exceptions,but foreign analysts tend to see things a lot better. Just fuck them all off and give me commentator and cut the hour's preview and hour's summary(which I dont watch anyway) and save all the bollocks spouted.

• Upvote 1

Yes he was and maybe he will re-incarnated as a fantastic pundit instead of a mumbling retard

Every other ex Spurs player of his generation fucked off to Essex ti run a pub. Why does he have to be different ?

Hoddle commented on his plans to run a pub in Essex in his 1989 autobiography "I must have been a right cunt in my previous life to have god waste my talent at spurs" by saying his plans for a quiet pub with old players popping in for a drink and a bit of banter were shelved when a pissed up Paul Gascoigne smashed his hotel room in a drunken rage, Hoddle then thought 'nah not for me clive" and prefered to spend his his later years sharing a mic with a stone cold sober Philip Nevile.

• Upvote 1

Hoddle commented on his plans to run a pub in Essex in his 1989 autobiography "I must have been a right cunt in my previous life to have god waste my talent at spurs" by saying his plans for a quiet pub with old players popping in for a drink and a bit of banter were shelved when a pissed up Paul Gascoigne smashed his hotel room in a drunken rage, Hoddle then thought 'nah not for me clive" and prefered to spend his his later years sharing a mic with a stone cold sober Philip Nevile.

I was just shooting from the hip. Good to see you have done some proper research ,

I could add a mention from the book about his tenure as England manager and his ill fated outing to France . It started badly when despite repeated attempts by Venables to explain the concept of a bung  Glen hilariously quips " I thought Tez wanted me to pop down the shops for a cork ". He doesn't shy away from the conflict between his unconventional beliefs and his desire to bring them into the workplace,  The following extract from a damning article at the time illustrates the dilemma Hoddle faced.

"Prior to the Argentina game, the manager instructed his staff to walk anti-clockwise around the pitch to create a positive energy, while the players soon became accustomed to being touched just above the heart by the hand of Hod before kick-off."  

Again with great good humour Hoddle retorts " With hindsight God was telling me something but he failed to mention most of the players had no idea of the difference between clockwise and anti-clockwise . It was a rail-crash out there, players smashing into each other all over the park.however I got to touch Beckhams heart and that will always be special to me"